RECIPE: Don't have anchovies? Try this REC: Shortcut Caesar Salad from San Francisco Chronicle>>

RECIPE:

sandi-in-hawaii

I was craving a Caesar salad tonite, but I never have anchovies in the pantry.

Here's a quickie recipe that uses fish sauce instead of the anchovies - I liked it a lot, and it was super easy. Rather than whisking all the ingredients together, I just threw it all into a blender and whizzed it. (I did press the garlic clove with a garlic press before putting it into the blender.)

I linked the original article, which has a few other interesting recipes (that Five-Spice Chicken sounds good too smileys/smile.gif

Enjoy!

Shortcut Caesar Salad

This makes a main-course lunch salad or a small dinner salad.

16 baguette slices, about 1/3-inch thick

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce, or more to taste

1 small garlic clove, minced to a paste

Freshly ground black pepper

1 pound hearts of romaine, in bite-size pieces

3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil on both sides, then cut each slice in half to make half-rounds. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Put the mayonnaise in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil, lemon juice, fish sauce and garlic. Add several grinds of black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Toss the romaine with enough of the dressing to coat the leaves nicely. Add the Parmesan and croutons and toss again. Serve immediately.

Serves 2 to 4

PER SERVING: 255 calories, 5 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 24 g fat (4 g saturated), 11 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/27/FDGQGCCOVQ1.DTL

An article in the NYTimes a while back said that

fish sauce is the new secret ingredient of chefs--used lots of places for a bit of "zing".

Back