Dyslexic Sauce: Marilyn & Meryl's Bittersweet Chocolate Sauce

marilynfl

Years ago I developed Dyslexic sauce through a series of mistakes. As a dense, fudgy chocolate sauce, it was quite delicious but flawed in that the sugar concentration was supersated. This meant that after re-heating it several times to serve "warm" sauce, the sugar would crystalize.

Meryl contacted me and wanted to enter my recipe in a contest under her name. I said no, because I knew it was flawed. She decided to go ahead and changed the recipe (for the better, I might add) by removing 1/2 C of sugar and replacing it with Karo syrup. This helped with the crystallization issue. I have no idea if she ever won, but this is the recipe I use now.

1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 C pure cane sugar
1/2 C light Karo syrup
16 to 20 oz of semi or bittersweet chocolate (or a blend of the two), chopped into small pieces
8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature (I use Plugra if it's on sale...otherwise, I use Land-o-Lakes).

Using a teflon pot, simmer the sugar, milk, and karo for 3- 5 minutes. Stir often.
Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir until perfectly smooth, check the temperature and when it is 140 degrees or lower, stir in the soft butter. This is important because if the chocolate is too hot (from the boiling milk ingredients), the butter will not emulsify and will eventually exude out of the sauce. I used to just stir the butter in, but now I use my stick blender.

While this is going on, boil six 8-oz bottles/lids for a few minutes, then add the hot chocolate sauce while the jars are still hot. Seal with lid...I don't process them any further. They usually ping down in an hour or so. I keep it in the refrigerator and it has lasted for more than 2 years.

Last edited:
Back