Enjoy the ride, discover, eat & travel all in one video - Mumbai's legendary Kheema pav

Sikander

Enthusiast Member
Hello Recipe swappers,

Check the link below for my video recipe

My videos are more than just cooking tutorials; they are a gateway to the vibrant and captivating Subcontinent. If you're not inspired to cook, I hope they will at least spark a longing within you to explore this incredible country. Traveling is a gift that allows us to discover new cultures, meet fascinating people, and savour unique flavours. By embracing Indian culture, you'll gain a deeper appreciation for the world around you. I invite you to join me on this culinary and cultural journey, where we'll explore the wonders of India together. And, if you're curious about what I had for breakfast, I hope you'll try the dish for yourself and experience the rich and diverse flavours of Indian cuisine.
Take good care of yourself

Hit that little bell and consider subscribing on YT!

Sikander

Mumbai's legendary green kheema

Another excellent video, Sikander.
Questions:
  1. Is "mince" always lamb? Or could I use ground chicken or turkey in place of that? Would I need to make more adjustments to seasoning?
  2. You use a lot of chilies. Can I cut those out without losing the integrity of the dish?
  3. Why is cilantro added so many times during the process? Does the flavor change

Another excellent video, Sikander.
Questions:
  1. Is "mince" always lamb? Or could I use ground chicken or turkey in place of that? Would I need to make more adjustments to seasoning?
  2. You use a lot of chilies. Can I cut those out without losing the integrity of the dish?
  3. Why is cilantro added so many times during the process? Does the flavor change
Dear Marilyn,

Hello, thank you for the feedback and questions.

Well, I refer to Mince as "Minced meat" - which means you can use chicken, or turkey, or lamb or beef or beef&pork. The choice is yours. If you use poultry mince, just make sure it doesn't get lumpy and the result will be the same. A little note on that, the lamb or mutton mince is used basically because of its strong flavours which makes the dish interesting. But yes you are right, you can use any minced meat, or even soya chunks if you want a veg option for this dish. If you use poultry, you may need to adjust the salt level but that's about it.

Yes, I do because it's a main important ingredient in the Indian cuisine. I would advise against cutting those out of the recipe, what I would strongly advise you is to :
A/ Remove the seeds and the white membrane , as this is what makes it spicy. So if you don"t want to have the strong kick of the chili, just remove the seeds.
B/The number I use in the green paste, is for the normal authentic taste, having said that, you can reduce those numbers and use one or two (with or without the seeds) compare to the six or seven or eight we normally use.
C/ Later in the recipe I add 3 chilies just after the dill, those are optional and if you want to cut them out, you can do so.

Well, the first time it is used for the green paste and the main colour of the dish. It is known as green kheema (Kheema means minced meat) So the first time, it is to give the nice colour of the dish. The second time I use it, is to have that nice cilantro flavour added on the cooked meat VS when the meat is raw at the beginning of the process. I hope you get what I mean by that. And last but not least, hara dhaniya (or Cilantro/coriander) is one of my favourite herb. I just can't do without it. Having said that, if you don't want to add another bunch of cilantro, what keeps you from adding another herb like chives for example? Nothing, I could easily cut some dill and chives together and add them to the dish.

I hope this answers your queries. Let me know if you tried it! To serve with bread , dinner rolls are perfect with it. I used a baguette for the video because I was too lazy (and tired) to prepare a batch of pAO bread.

Have a lovely day,
Sikander

Thank you for the input.

I'm unsure what kind of chilies you're using. Could you provide name and heat level. That way I'll know whether to use as directed or cut back (learned a (painful) lesson there with Ethiopian food).

Thank you for the input.

I'm unsure what kind of chilies you're using. Could you provide name and heat level. That way I'll know whether to use as directed or cut back (learned a (painful) lesson there with Ethiopian food).
Hello,

I'm using bird's eye type of chillies, they're the same type of chillies you find in Thailand for example. If you go to any Indian/asian store, you should be able to find them. My advice to you is , just remove the seeds and it will be all right.

Have a lovely day,
Sikander

oh. I always thought bird's eye chilies were red...that's the package I see at the oriental grocery store (I'm assuming for Thai food) and so I usually go down another aisle to avoid them. But I've been using Aleppo pepper for dishes and that provides enough heat for me, so perhaps I can adjust for that level.

Thank you for responding.

oh. I always thought bird's eye chilies were red...that's the package I see at the oriental grocery store (I'm assuming for Thai food) and so I usually go down another aisle to avoid them. But I've been using Aleppo pepper for dishes and that provides enough heat for me, so perhaps I can adjust for that level.

Thank you for responding.
Hello,

Green chillies are harvested when they are not ripe and if you harvest them a little later they turn red. So green ate not ripe and red ones are.

In India the tendency is to use more green chillies. But bird s eye can be green chillies as well.

But the choice is yours to use the chillies you like or can bear.

Have a lovely day

Back