finally, after much proding..... :-)

randi

I started posting on Gail's in late 1995 or early 1996. I'm so grateful to Mimi and FinerKitchens for making a space for all of us when Gail's went south RIP. I've learned so much from the other posters and shared so many things with all of you. what a gift you have been.

sooo, here we go.... I've loved cooking for as long as I can remember. By the time I was 8, my mom would let me help make crullers and cookies and cakes, mom loved to bake. When I hit my teens I graduated to cooking meals. Part of it was just plain ole survival, my mother hated to cook and it was very obvious.... yuck! Someone had to rescue us.

I moved to NYC when I was 20 and found a whole new, unexplored world of food. I would try anything once and dove right into cooking anything and everything that sounded good or different. I was completely and hopelessly in love with food. I was also fearless in a kitchen and delighted in "throwing" things together.

I was given a 3 year subscription to Gourmet and learned sooo much. I would find a recipe that sounded good and make it for friends. Nothing like trying out new recipes at a sit-down dinner for 10, but I did say I was fearless "-)) If I wanted to try something that was involved I would give the side dish recipes to friends and have them make the sides for me. The seventies and early eighties were the best of times. We were all so young and gourmet cooking was new to us.

Heck, cooking was new to us and life and trying to change the world. Civil Rights, Equal Rights, stop the war, ban the bomb, burn your bra, peace, love and flower power. Wow, what a time to be alive! That was the time I started my spiritual quest and jumped into everything "new age". Eventually, I would teach meditation and metaphysics. Before moving to Oregon in 1993 I led guided meditations for world peace at the UN on a monthly basis.

Now that I live in a small fishing village on the Oregon coast, my cooking has changed a bit. They simply don't have the ingredients here that I'm used to cooking with. I'm forced to deal with fresh salmon, halibut and dungeness crabs. And, oh those veggies from the farmer's market in the summer and the abundance of wild berries and mushrooms..... oh, poor me! "-)) My passion is Italian food, much to the delight of my friends.

My husband and I started an internet business in 1995. Don is a programmer among many other things. Since I'm a techno idiot, I handle the rest of the business. We hope to sell the business in a few years and follow our passions. Don is talented photographer and we will probably open a gallery. I'm a professional animal communicator and look forward to spending more time working with the "beloved beasts".

Back