Flourless Chocolate Cake

CathyZ

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE PRINCEVILLE HOTEL

Makes one 10” cake

1 lb good quality unsalted butter

1.25 lb good quality semi-sweet baking chocolate

3/4 cup granulated sugar

7 large eggs at room temperature

Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler over simmering water. Whip sugar and eggs together until at ribbon stage. Drizzle chocolate into egg mixture slowly while beating to alleviate eggs cooking. Prepare high-sided pan (use parchment paper in bottom) and pour in mixture. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 40 minutes in a bain marie ( I used a roasting pan with hot water that went half way up the cake pan). Let cake cool in refrigerator before unmolding. Note: I use a flexible silicone pan that “peels” off easily.

Cathy Z notes:

The secret to good success with this "cake" beside using good ingredient (use REALLY good quality butter and chocolate) is to beat the bejeebers out of the sugar and egg mixture. I let it go at least five minutes at top speed on my KA mixer. You must get to a "ribbon" stage in order to find the right consistancy in the finished product. Another important thing is to use the hot water bath during baking.

You can make the cake and refrigerate it for several days or freeze it and thaw later. It holds up well either way.

I can't even tell you how many flourless chocolate cake recipes I went through before the one I posted crossed my desk. The others were all very good but lacked "something"- depth, texture, that "wow" factor. Amazingly this one with four simple ingredients was the one that knocked my socks off. It is the technique- the ribbon stage- that is so important because it sets the texture and makes the finished cake smooth and creamy instead of grainy. The baking time is very important too- if you overbake the edges will get too hard and the third thing is to use excellent chocolate. I have tried several kinds but have the best luck with Callebaut (minimum 54.5%)

Back