Food Pictures from the Wood Fired (pizza-ish) Party at the link...

mariadnoca

I made pizza dough, which I turned into a classic margarita pizza using new girl tomatoes/basil from my garden. I also made a gorgonzola, caramelized onion and fresh fig pizza that I drizzled with a balsamic/maple syrup reduction. This one was deemed the favorite of the day by all. Making pizza/dough was a first for me!

Some, as you can see, some made bread. Given the party was an hour away I didn't try that, but we did manage to burn/ruin the artichokes I brought, lol.

It was a super fun day!

http://s788.photobucket.com/user/4ebay_bucket/slideshow/Food/Wood%20Fired%20Oven%20Party

Silpat? Parchment? Peel?

We gas-fire pizza on our gas grill by prepping dough rounds between greased parchments, removing one, flipping dough onto grill and then removing the top parchment, flipping dough round when bottom is cooked and then topping the now cooked bottom. In your pix, I see Silpat, parchment and the wood peel. How were these used? Did you wood-fire pizza on top of parchment on top of the Silpat? Colleen

That was only for prep. I added a photo inside the oven. Pizza goes right on stone floor w/ peel.

The chicken, etc were cooked in a roasting pan as the oven cooled, but the pizza oven is near 700-800F and took only about 1-2 mins to cook. This gave them a nice speckled char on the bottom with everything on top perfectly done. SO GOOD!

Just do this as an appy on a flour tortilla adding some blue cheese and maybe

rosemary with a drizzle of good olive oil--basically DS's invention. DEElicious.
Of course, he doesn't have the woodfire to make it even more over the top.

Good idea! I use Trader Joe's lavash for a thin crust pizza base, but somehow never

thought to use a tortilla.

The dough recipe was SO easy and good! REC: Roberta's Pizza Dough

I found the 00 flour at a local Italian mkt, but it can be had online as well. I let it rise overnight in fridge. The taste and crispness was amazing.

Roberta’s Pizza Dough (see NYT link)

INGREDIENTS
153 grams 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
153 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
2 grams active dry yeast (3/4 teaspoon)
4 grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)

PREPARATION
In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.

Knead rested dough for 3 minutes.

Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)

To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough

Excellent dough recipe. Still like Marcy Goldman's but this is good and easier.Pizzas look amazing!

Back