FRC: Biscotti- Wasn't there a thread on t & t's and favorites? Or was that "the other" site? (more

cynupstateny

I'm making up a pkg. to send and thought biscotti would travel well. Found AGM/Cape Cod's recipe for some with candied orange peel that sound good but she says to cream the eggs with butter and sugar and no eggs are listed in ingredients. I would guess at 2. (?)

I checked back in the old archives - you guessed right! REC: Candied Orange Pecan Biscotti

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:30:50 GMT

REC: Candied Orange Pecan Biscotti
I make candied orange rind for Christmas
presents, the leftovers are great in these.

Candied Orange Pecan Biscotti

Bittersweet chunks of candied orange peel and
toasted pecans lend a delicious dimension to
these biscotti.

1 cup Candied Orange Peel (recipe follows)
¾ cup pecans
½ cup butter
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
concentrate, thawed
Zest of 1 orange, minced finely
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose or
unbleached flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Prepare candied orange peel and set aside.
To prepare biscotti dough, place nuts in a
shallow pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for
8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool. In a mixing bowl cream butter and
sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs,
orange liqueur, and orange zest. In a bowl
combine the flour, baking powder and salt and
mix in just until blended. Fold in nuts and
the Candied Orange Peel. Divide dough in
half. Place on a greased and floured baking
sheet and form into two logs about 112 inch
thick, l 1/2 inches wide and 14 inches long,
spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake in
the middle of a preheated 325 degree oven for
25 to 30 minutes or until set and lightly
browned. Transfer from the baking sheet to a
rack. Let cool 5 minutes. Place on a cutting
board. With a serrated knife slice diagonally
at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 inch thick.
Place the slices upright on a baking sheet
and return to the oven at 300 degrees for 10
to 15 minutes to dry slightly. Let cool on a
rack. Store in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 3 ½ to 4 dozen.

Candied Orange Peel

3 oranges (use peel only)
½ cup water
½ cup sugar

To prepare Candied Orange Peel, peel oranges,
scoring the peel into 5 or 6 sections to make
them equal in size. Place the peel in a
saucepan, cover with water and simmer 10
minutes. Drain and let cool. With a
grapefruit knife, lift off most of the white
pith. In a saucepan combine the water and
sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until
dissolved. Add peel and let simmer until
liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes to 1
hour. Lift peel out onto waxed paper to cool.
Makes about 1 cup candied peel.

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:54:45 GMT

I just made these, they are great but.........
There is no amount for the sugar. I looked
at another biscotti recipe I had and used
3/4 Cup. I also chopped the toasted pecans
a bit as well as the orange peel. I cheated
and used some I bought. Thanks for the
recipe. I will make it a lot for Christmas
gifts.

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:09:01 GMT

Correction to recipe 42039.1.3-Candied Orange Pecan Biscotti-Sugar is 3/4 cup. Sorry. (nt)

Here's my fave - REC: Kaci In Iowa's Chcolate Chip Almond Biscotti

Here's Kaci's recipe - it's fabulous! I added the freshly ground coffee to give it a mocha flavor, and I usually omit the almonds (hubby is sooo not a nut lover smileys/frown.gif

I once made it without chilling the dough first, and the logs spread out to cover my entire half sheet pan! I proceeded onward anyway, and everyone still loved them. They were a litle crisper, but just really flat, and not biscotti-looking.

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 34601-34700
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:40:51 GMT

ISO Becky -(san diego) - REC: Chocolate chip almond biscotti

Becky--sorry this took me so long, the days got away from me. These are really good, but they harden A LOT as they cool--so don't make the mistake I did of thinking they're too soft and increasing the baking time—BIG mistake......

Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti
14 3/4 oz. (3 1/4 cups) flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
12 Tbs butter, room temperature, cut into Tbs
12 1/4 oz. (1 3/4 cups) sugar
1 tablespoon ground coffee (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sliced (or slivered) almonds
6 oz (1 cup) chocolate chips

Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, sugar and ground coffee until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almonds and chocolate chips. Lower mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat oven to 350º. Divide dough into two equal portions and shape each into a 2x16” log.

Place logs, 3” apart, on the baking sheet and make in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes. (they will be sort of soft and not look very done. Don’t be fooled—these harden up substantially after they’re done baking, so DO NOT increase the baking time here or they’ll be like concrete. Guess how I know this?)

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack until cool enough to handle. Lower oven temp to 325º.

With a sharp knife, slice logs diagonally into 3/8” wide strips. Place flat side down on baking sheets and bake until golden, about another 10-15 minutes (again, don’t overbake).

Here's another crowd pleaser from Bon Appetit - REC: Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti

Everyone loves these! I'm quite generous with the cinnamon-sugar sprinkle, but most of it falls off when I package it. I've been toying with the idea of brushing the cut edges with egg white before sprinkling, to make it stick, but that seems like it would be kinda tedious.

I wonder if there's something I can spray it with that'll make the cinnamon-sugar stick better...?

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 27701-27800
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:06:22 GMT

CINNAMON-SUGAR BISCOTTI
Bon Appétit December 1997

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For Sprinkling:
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add 1 egg; beat well. Add egg yolk; beat well. Mix in vanilla, then dry ingredients.

Transfer dough to work surface. Divide in half. Shape each half into 9-inch-long, 1 1/2-inch-wide log. Transfer logs to baking sheets. Beat remaining egg in small bowl. Brush logs with egg. Bake until golden and firm to touch (dough will spread), about 50 minutes. Cool on baking sheets. Maintain oven temperature.

Mix 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl to blend. Using serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-inch-wide diagonal slices. Place biscotti, cut side down, on baking sheets. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar over each biscotti. Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes. Cool on racks. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container.)

Makes about 40.

REC: Cinnamon and Hazelnut Biscotti

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup toasted hazelnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking liner. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl; set aside. Coarsely chop hazelnuts in a food processor. Combine sugar and butter and mix until fluffy. Add orange zest and vanilla and mix well. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending just until incorporated after each addition. Add flour mixture and mix until just blended. Mix in hazelnuts until just blended. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 9" x 2" log. Place the logs on the baking sheet. Flatten each log to 12" x 2 1/2". Bake 25 minutes or until very light golden and firm to touch. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer the logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 3/4-inch-wide slices. Place slices, cut side down, on your baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Turn biscotti over, bake about 15 minutes more or until light golden and firm. Transfer biscotti to racks and cool. Makes about 32 biscotti.

Sandi, I have an idea about this. . .

After you've sliced your biscotti loaves but before the 2nd baking, sprinkle (or even press) one side of each slice in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bet that will help the topping stick and if not blame me.

Our favorite: REC: Biscotti w/ cranberries and pistachios

BISCOTTI WITH CRANBERRIES AND PISTACHIOS

The pleasingly chewy biscotti are coated on one end with white chocolate. In our test kitchen, imported white chocolate, such as Perugina or Lindt, yielded the best results.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon whole aniseed
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
3/4 cup shelled natural unsalted pistachios
6 ounces imported white chocolate, chopped
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift first 3 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl to blend well. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in lemon peel, vanilla, and aniseed. Beat in flour mixture just until blended. Stir in cranberries and pistachios (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gather dough together; divide in half. Roll each half into 15-inch-long log (about 1 1/4 inches wide). Carefully transfer logs to 1 prepared baking sheet, spacing 3 inches apart.
Bake logs until almost firm to touch but still pale, about 28 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 10 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
Carefully transfer logs still on parchment to cutting board. Using serrated knife and gentle sawing motion, cut logs crosswise into generous 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices, 1 cut side down, on remaining 2 prepared sheets. Bake until firm and pale golden, about 9 minutes per side. Transfer cookies to racks and cool.
Line another baking sheet with waxed paper. Stir white chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water just until smooth. Remove from over water. Dip 1 end of each cookie into melted chocolate, tilting pan if necessary; shake off excess chocolate. Place cookies on prepared sheet. Chill until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight between sheets of waxed paper at room temperature.)
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
Bon AppétitDecember 2003

My notes:
I did not use the aniseed because I don't like that flavor.
I also don't dip in chocolate because I like them plain and not as sweet for breakfast!

Rec: Chocolate Chip and Almond Biscotti by Maida Heatter (love these)

Chocolate Chip and Almond Biscotti
from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Cookies by Maida Heatter, 1995, Random House

From the Author’s Note in Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts:
"…There is one recipe, from Maida Heatter’s Brand-New Book of Great Cookies, that many people have told me is their number-one favorite (Chocolate Chip and Almond Biscotti)… I wish you all HAPPY CHOCOLATE.”

This is it!
“Irresistible. Awesome. With a huge, tremendous (there can’t be too much of a good thing) amount of chocolate chips. Chocolate chips never had it so good.”

About 40 biscotti
6 ounces (1 1/4 cups) whole blanche (skinned almonds)
2 cups sifted unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
12 ounces (2 cups) semisweet chocolate morsels
2 eggs graded “large”
2 tablespoons whiskey or brandy

First toast the almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan in a 350-degree (F) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan a few times, until the almonds are lightly colored and have a delicious smell of toasted almonds when you open the oven door. Set aside to cool.

Adjust two racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F). If possible, use cookie sheets with two or three flat edges; otherwise use any sheets upside down. Line the sheets with making parchment or aluminum foil, shiny side up, and set aside.

Sift together into a large bowl (preferably one with flared rather than straight sides) the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the sugar and stir to mix.

Place about 1/2 of these dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade. Add about 1/2 cup of the toasted almonds and process for about half a minute until the nuts are fine and powdery. Add the processed mixture to the sifted ingredients in the large bowl. Add the remaining toasted almonds and the chocolate morsels and stir to mix.

In a small bowl beat the eggs with the vanilla and whiskey or brandy just to mix. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened (I stir with a large rubber spatula). Be patient.

Place a length of baking parchment or wax paper on the counter next to the sink. Turn the dough out onto the parchment or wax paper. Wet your hands with cold water – do not dry them – and press the dough into a round mound.

With a long, heavy, sharp knife cut the dough into equal quarters. Continue to wet your hands as you form each piece of dough into a strip about 9 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, and a generous 1/2 inch high (you will press the dough into shape, more than roll it). The ends of the strips should be rounded rather than squared.

Place two strips crosswise on each of the lined sheets. Bake for 25 minutes, reversing the sheets top to bottom and front to back once during the baking. Remove the sheets from the oven and slide the parchment or foil off the sheets. With a wide metal spatula transfer the baked strips to a large cutting board and let them cool for 20 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees (F). With a serrated French bread knife, carefully cut on a sharp angle into slices about 1/2 inch wide. This is tricky; cut slowly with a sawing motion.

Place the slices, cut side down, on the two unlined sheets. Bake the two sheets, turning the slices upside down and reversing the sheets top to bottom and front to back once during baking. Bake for about 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the biscotti) until thoroughly dry.

Turn the oven heat off, open the oven door, and let the biscotti cool in the oven.

When cool, store in an airtight container.

Maria's notes: This sounds more complicated than it is. These are actually pretty easy and are very good - I've given them as gifts on more than one occasion and they were very well received.

Rec: Chocolate-Orange Biscotti

Chocolate-Orange Biscotti

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 cup pecans, lightly toasted, coarsely chopped
6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped

Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then Grand Marnier and orange peel. Add flour mixture and beat until blended. Stir in pecans and chocolate. Gather dough together; divide in half. Wrap in plastic and freeze 20 minutes to firm.

Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Using floured hands, form each dough piece into 14-inch-long, 2 1/2-inch-wide log. Transfer logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until light golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer parchment with logs to rack. Cool 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

Place 1 log on cutting board. Using serrated knife, cut log on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand slices upright on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining log.

Bake biscotti until dry to touch and pale golden, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on rack. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container.)

Makes about 3 dozen.

REC: Biscotti

I've made these for years and varied the flavor by substituting the almonds, anise seed and extracts. Orange extract for the almond, candied orange peel and walnuts. Chocolate chips instead of the anise seed.

Biscotti (Mandel Bread)

Recipe By :Evelyn Chait's Mom
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon anise seed
4 cups all-purpose flour
5 ounces sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add oil, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and anise seeds together. Slowly add to egg mixture. Stir in sliced almonds.

Divide batter into 3 logs on baking sheet. Bake 45 - 60 minutes or until brown. Slice logs into 1 inch cookies. Turn cookies cut side up; toast for 5-15 minutes until golden brown. Turn over and toast other side.

And these taste like brownies, so good. Rec: Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE WALNUT BISCOTTI
Unlike most commercially available chocolate biscotti, these have a deep chocolaty flavor.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter and flour a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack. Biscotti keep in airtight containers 1 week and frozen, 1 month.

Makes about 30 biscotti.

Gourmet
December 1994

Joyce, just curious - do you shell all the pistachios yourself?

I keep seeing recipes for things with pistachios, and as much as I love to eat them out of hand, I can't imagine sitting ther trying to crack enough to measure 3/4 cup!

Don't you wish they sold tehm already shelled??

Hey Sandi! ....more>>

We are fortunate to have a "Sam's Club" which sells shelled pistachios in a large plastic container! I couldn't believe it when I saw it....so convenient and reasonbly priced. They also sell large 3lb bags of shelled pecans for about $7.00. I forget what the pistachios cost, but it was under $10.00 and there must be about 8-10 cups shelled in the container. Sam's club is like a BJ's, and it is a huge warehouse where you buy items in bulk. There's a annual membership fee and you present your card when you enter. I go there every few months to stock up on things especially paper products and cleaning aids. They have a vegie dept, but unless you're cooking for a crowd, the bags of produce are too large to use before they go bad. There's a bakery, meat department, frozen foods, seasonal items, books, jewelry, toiletries, office supplies, TV's, tires, appliances,... it has ALOT of stuff! Sometimes though, they won't have something that they had a few months before, but all in all worth the trip--about a 45 minute drive.
Anyway...to answer your question, I do not shell the pistachios and you're right, 3/4 of a cup of pistachios is alot to shell! *lol*

Hmm, Sam's Club? We have Sam's as well as Costco here, but I only have a membership at Costco...

I gotta go check it out and see if they have shelled pistachios too!

I always buy the pecans and almonds, but have never seen pistachios. Is it in the same section as the pecans and almonds, kinda by the baking stuff, or was it by the snack food section? I've seen plastic containers of the pistachios in the shell there.

Will check next time I go to Costco, otherwise I'll have to ask one of my friends with a Sam's membership.....

Thanks for the heads up!

Yep, Costco has them.

They're in the section with peanuts, mixed nuts, etc. - not the baking area.
I also have found them at a local specialty "nut" store that sells nuts, coffee, candies, etc. They have salted and unsalted.

RECL Honey

This recipe was shared by Reba from Florida. She got it from Gourmet a few yr. ago. That poster wrote: "These are good enough to kill for. I made a half batch last night and I need to put themunder lock and key!"

I can testify to that! I use tiny candied ginger in my biscotti when I make this (in a small can, from The Ginger People...) This is a hit every time I make it...

Hugs
Cyndi

Honey Almond Ginger Biscotti

Recipe By : From Gourmet Oct.'94
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Italian

3/4 Cup Blanched Almonds
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Honey
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 Large Egg
2 3/4 Cups Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/3 Cup Crystallized Ginger
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Spread almonds on baking sheet and toast in middle of oven until golden brown (7-8 min)(Watch!!!). Cool and chop coarse.
(I chop the almonds before I toast them.)

Reduce temperature to 350 and lightly grease cookie sheet (I use the paper from the butter)

With electric beater, mix eggs and sugars till light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well. Add vanilla.

Stir flour, salt and baking soda together. Mix with egg mixture. Stir in almonds and ginger.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and
gently knead a few times (dough should still
be very soft and slightly sticky. It may stick
to your fingers). Divide dough into thirds.
With floured fingers, pat into flattish log,
10x2", at least 3" apart on pan.

Bake 20 minutes till golden. Cool 10 min. Cut into 3/4" slices and arrange biscotti, cut side down, on baking sheet. (I place the biscotti slices on a rack placed on a cookie
sheet, and bake for 12 minutes total.) Bake 10 minutes on each side. Cool. Store in airtight container.

**I've made these at least 30 times. People tend to exhibit strange habits when eating them...they begin to get very territorial
and (it may as well be said) selfish. Sneaking a few extra when no one is looking, lurking around the kitchen at all hours, and telling boldface lies when accused of hording the entire batch. Such is the price one must pay for a good biscotti. The only comment I have: I don't usually bake mine the full 40 minutes. I like 'em a little softer and chewier.
Coffee-Dunkable, yet Not-quite-chip-a-tooth Hard. It's also quite sweet. Other than that,
it's a killer recipe. Enjoy." from the original article...

Back