Future of this site?

mimitesttest

Enthusiast Member
Hello all. I have not been a participating member for years and years, but I still have very fond memories of this community as the person who first provided a home for it after it left Epicurious (with Paul's go-ahead as my boss, we put it on the site of one of our clients who had a kitchen store...FinerKitchens.com). When Paul died I just had to find you all to make sure you knew.

I was still in touch with Paul very occasionally. This site will continue to run on its own for a while, most likely, but will need attention eventually. As I'm retired from this kind of thing, my dearest wish is to have fewer websites to maintain, as I still have several pro-bono sites going for non-profit organizations that I couldn't say "no" to, I don't really want to take this over.

The site is surely hosted on Paul's server and even to move it somewhere else we'd have to have access to that. I have met Paul's children and know his wife, although it's been many years, I MAY have the closest link to the family, but anyone who knows better please DO chime in here! I'd just like to gauge whether I'm the one to approach them, or if someone else has a better connection? If it's me, I'd like to know how many regular users are still here. Would it be worth it to ask Paul's sons to take this on? As someone mentioned, just the access to the sheer volume of amazing recipes is something to consider.

What are your thoughts regarding the future of this site? Is it even something I need to get involved in, or do you have this covered?

Is this the former Gail's Recipe Swap? If so, I'm amazed to find it after do many years. I'm sorry to learn about Paul's passing.

Annva, yes this is the former group from Gail’s swap. Good to see you. 👋

Mimi, you should dm Marilynfl as she, I believe, had the most contact with Paul. I know he mentioned details to her about keeping the site up and running while he was ill, but I see that was a year ago.

i sure would like it to live on, the archive alone is invaluable.

Hi Mimi.

It would be such a shame to let Paul's efforts go for naught. I will be around for awhile, if there is an around. I check in here every day and when my memory tells me there is something that caught my interest awhile back, it is so easy to find it in a search. But I do realize that it will take someone's commitment to keep it going, so only hope for that.

If someone can teach me how, I will be glad to help. I am a quick study and pretty good with computer stuff. If nothing else, I just hate to loose the archives and hope that at a bare minimum, there is a way to keep this as a static archive with no new posting if we don't keep it in the current format where we still chat.

Thank you Mimi (hello!) for asking and Music City Missy for your willingness to help. (I have ZERO computer skills). I am so grateful to all involved and, of course, our dear Paul - he was so incredibly generous to us. I hope it can continue without hardship to those who have the ability/interest in keeping it going. Thank you *ALL*

Hi all,

I am a moderator on this site (re: issues with posts, not SW). During Fall, 2023, Paul mentioned his son was working some of the background issues, but this site is hosted on the servers where Paul had his business and I don't know what will happen with that.

Hi again guys, well Marilyn indicates that Paul's son is at least aware that it exists. It doesn't take much technical knowledge to run the actual forum (most of the time), but it's hosted on a server somewhere and someone has to be paying for web hosting and the domain name. It's that stuff, and other things like the database server, and performing updates if this software requires an update, that kind of thing that requires knowledge of running a web server (as well as knowing what and where the server is and all the associated passwords, etc.). I guess I will reach out to his kids, I think I can find them.

Hello all. I have not been a participating member for years and years, but I still have very fond memories of this community as the person who first provided a home for it after it left Epicurious (with Paul's go-ahead as my boss, we put it on the site of one of our clients who had a kitchen store...FinerKitchens.com). When Paul died I just had to find you all to make sure you knew.

I was still in touch with Paul very occasionally. This site will continue to run on its own for a while, most likely, but will need attention eventually. As I'm retired from this kind of thing, my dearest wish is to have fewer websites to maintain, as I still have several pro-bono sites going for non-profit organizations that I couldn't say "no" to, I don't really want to take this over.

The site is surely hosted on Paul's server and even to move it somewhere else we'd have to have access to that. I have met Paul's children and know his wife, although it's been many years, I MAY have the closest link to the family, but anyone who knows better please DO chime in here! I'd just like to gauge whether I'm the one to approach them, or if someone else has a better connection? If it's me, I'd like to know how many regular users are still here. Would it be worth it to ask Paul's sons to take this on? As someone mentioned, just the access to the sheer volume of amazing recipes is something to consider.

What are your thoughts regarding the future of this site? Is it even something I need to get involved in, or do you have this covered?
Remember me? Karen in NoCa... can't believe I stumbled upon this site.

Back