GayR, thank you for the Southern Living rice & broccoli & cheese recipe. It went over well.

marilynfl

Well, except for the two 15-year old teenagers who disliked the broccoli. And the mushrooms. And the sauteed onions. Basically, everything but the cheese.

However, everyone else loved it.

There was a minor issue in that it wasn't nearly done at 30 minutes in the oven. I gave it a stir and the rice was sticking to the bottom So I gave it another stir, then baked it for 15 minutes more and that finished off the rice. Next issue was there was no conceivable way that--once I added all the broccoli--everything was going to fit into my large deep oval-shaped Dutch oven. So everything got transferred to a deep 9x13" aluminum pan and the topping was added. Last step is to broil it and that said 2-3 minutes. Mine was slightly charred at less than one minute.

But those are all minor lesson-learned issues and ones I can adjust the next time.

Thank you again for keeping my culinary reputation valid.

Last edited:
Well, except for the two 15-year old teenagers who disliked the broccoli. And the mushrooms. And the sauteed onions. Basically, everything but the cheese.

However, everyone else loved it.

There was a minor issue in that it wasn't nearly done at 30 minutes in the oven. I gave it a stir and the rice was sticking to the bottom So I gave it another stir, then baked it for 15 minutes more and that finished off the rice. Next issue was there was no conceivable way that--once I added all the broccoli--everything was going to fit into my large deep oval-shaped Dutch oven. So everything got transferred to a deep 9x13" aluminum pan and the topping was added. Last step is to broil it and that said 2-3 minutes. Mine was slightly charred at less than one minute.

But those are all minor lesson-learned issues and ones I can adjust the next time.

Thank you again for keeping my culinary reputation valid.
Well, Marilyn in the end I am glad it all worked out.....

Back