Georgia Cane Syrup

barbara-in-va

Anyone here from south Georgia? I am in search of old fashioned Georgia cane syrup. My dad was from south Georgia (b. 1913) and was raised on cane syrup with his pancakes. Growing up we always had some in the house for breakfast. For most of my life I have had some in the cupboard. The last one I had was not as good as some of the others but I have no clue what they were. A google search showed so many I do not know where to begin. It was a very dark, very thick syrup almost molasses like. I would love any suggestions of what kind I might try?

Barbara, I bought ALAGA cane syrup while in Florida. (I wonder if the name is a mash-up of Alabama and Ga?). I remember it being very dense and I'd only bought it because the recipe specified cane syrup.

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 12.08.06 PM.jpg

I'm in western NC now and I'll check my local stores once the temperature gets above 30 degrees and holidays are over. It's 19 now, but we had a low of -1 degree at midnight.

Last edited:
Barbara, I bought ALAGA cane syrup while in Florida. (I wonder if the name is a mash-up of Alabama and Ga?). I remember it being very dense and I'd only bought it because the recipe specified cane syrup.

View attachment 2238

I'm in western NC now and I'll check my local stores once the temperature gets above 30 degrees and holidays are over. It's 19 now, but we had a low of -1 degree at midnight.

Hoe you are warming up! We got up to 41 today just outside DC. I will check the Alaga brand, sounds like exactly what I am looking for! thank you very much!!

Back