Give it up folks! Food brought by guests you thought was an assault on your senses....

foodmuse

Hee Hee

Ok we're not being mean per se, just realistic.

What did someone bring that made you go, "Huh".

My brother's new wife brought a vat of anti pasto (or is it pasti). Probably mispelled. My family is Irish, her Sicilian. I was sooo excited when my brother said she was bringing this. I wasn't sure what it was but I was excited. New food I didn't think I'd had.

Turns out she ordered it from a store and it was a vat of grey salami, iceburg lettuce, cubed cheese with no flavor and old sad tomato slices.

Then there was the odor. She's lovely, but she lifted off the lid and the harsh mad smell of raw white onion was like a cloud hovering over this dish. She kept saying you must eat this it is so good. I'm game so I fill my plate with it thinking how bad could it be. OMG!!!

the onion had infused everything with its onionocity. Whoa, even the lettuce tasted of onion. I felt bad. Luckily it was a buffet I was able to walk away with my plate and dispose of it. Maybe it's a cultural thing? She ate 3 plates of it.

key lime pie

Well, the hostess made a key lime pie that tasted good, but was the most unappetizing color of green/yellow. I would have covered it in some meringue or whipped cream or even added a bit of food coloring to make it more appetizing.

Carrot Cake

This is an assault done every year for my BIL by his mother. She is a very good cook but a horrid baker. For some reason he actually asks her to make his cake every year. One of us always makes another dessert and says 'oh, I didn't know you were making something!' so the rest of us have something to eat.

It's dry, it has no flavor, it's dry. It's colorless, it's dry. It has no flavor and did I mention it's dry? I think it may be a cake mix, but honestly it's very bad even for a mix. Sadly his birthday is coming up in less than a month.

Sorry, about these bad posts, what I was trying to say was......

I would prepare a fine feast for Christmas Eve every year with rolled roasts of veal some years, seafood others, and my SIL would offer to bring the appetizer. It was always a bag of Goldfish! Honest

I can beat that, Janet. My SIL would also bring goldfish and when the

evening was over, would ask for the rest of the bag back!

Maybe it is just me, but I am thankful for whatever anyone brings to my house.

I do not mean to sound pissy, but really, not everyone is a great cook. The fact that she tried to share something with your family from hers, should mean somtething to you.
I try not to post anything here that I would not want the person I was posting about to read. That's just me.

Dawn You are so right and I was really happy she felt comfortable....

Dawn
You are so right and I was really happy she felt comfortable enough with the family to bring a dish. And no, I wouldn't want her to read this and recognize herself here, so maybe I shouldn't have written. point taken. smileys/smile.gif

I like her alot I was just so surprised because there had been so much talk about her Anti pasto and I was excited to try it. I always want her to feel included so I've been trying to think of what she can bring to our next celebration that folks will eat. My bro said she felt bad because her food didn't get eaten.

Thanks
Muse

My Grandma's Magic Cookie Bars made with Oleo that had gone "off"

I don't even want to know how long it takes for margarine to go bad - but it was! smileys/surprise.gif

We didn't want to hurt her feelings, and before we could remove the plate, people kept grabbing them - it was sort of amusing to see people's reactions when they bit in to them. smileys/wink.gif

Hi Muse,

I would say that it was the half full bottle of $6.00 wine that was put back in the wine rack around the year 2000 and brought to my house in the year 2005, with a cork protruding from a screw top bottle. I was almost afraid to open it. Normally I am grateful that people bring something, however this was not like the "gifter" was not able to bring something with more thought. It was that they just didn't care, and in their own way it was to insult Keith and myself. I thanked them graciously and later poured it down the drain. I had thought to "regift" it to them at a later date, but Keith said not to. smileys/frown.gif

I am also Sicilian, and our antipasta consists of pepperoni, soppersata, chunks of provalone & Romano cheese, pepperocini, roasted red pepper, celery, marinated artichoke hearts, marinated mushrooms, anchovies, ceci beans , bruschetta, and grissini with proscuitto wrapped around it served on a sectioned dish. There is no lettuce involved at all. When I moved here to PA from NY and ordered antipasta at an "Italian" eatery they would ask me what kind of dressing I wanted on it! I was always taken aback as that was not antipasta, that was SALAD! I learned to stop ordering it. Something tells me that where your SIL hails from that is their version of Antipasta.

Back