Good data for internal temperatures of baked goods

marilynfl

from Thermoworks. I have both their instant probe (accurate within 0.7 degrees) and their wired probe with external display for hot/cold limits (accurate within 2 degrees). I couldn't bake without the instant probe anymore, especially with new baked recipes. Also great for checking suspicious spots in the middle of your banana bread when the edge of the bread tests 195 but the middle section tests 156. Oops...cover it up and put it bake in the oven.

I just used my Thermapen multiple times yesterday (on 11/15/22) to test for doneness on 4 dozen whole wheat rolls I made ahead and popped in the freezer for Thanksgiving. The recipe I used is so old that I'm not sure they even had instant-read thermometers back when this book was published--1973! Smile. (Recipe is in THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREADS by Bernard Clayton, Jr.)

Well, you’ve given me something else to use my thermapen on! I’ve used it on my sourdough bread the first few times, but never on any other baked goods. It never even occurred to me!

Thank you! Elder DD makes brioche for me on Mothers' Day (raisin) and Thanksgiving (plain), but I will forward this to her. I gave her a DOT a few years ago. I wonder whether I could persuade her towards some brioche cinnamon rolls for Christmas. She loves making brioche, says she finds it relaxing.

Lana, has she ever used Joanne Chang's Brioche recipe? It's ALL done with the mixer...almost 35 minutes mixing...none by hand.
Very good recipe.

By the way, my sister makes it without using the bread flour and she's fine with that...she just uses all AP. I do the same, but also add a TBL of pure gluten. But if I have KA bread flour, I follow Joanne's recipe.

Here is an older link with photos of some of the stuff I made with her dough. Ignore that entire first entry..the math is way too mathy and not necessary.

Last edited:
This sent me on a search for a reliable chart for baked goods temps. There are some, but surprisingly, I could not find much on the thermometer manuf'g sites. I don't know how reliable this is but I think I will attempt to gather info as it appears and get a reliable chart going for myself.Baked Goods Internal Temperature - ChefsTemp

Lana, has she ever used Joanne Chang's Brioche recipe? It's ALL done with the mixer...almost 35 minutes mixing...none by hand.
Very good recipe.

By the way, my sister makes it without using the bread flour and she's fine with that...she just uses all AP. I do the same, but also add a TBL of pure gluten. But if I have KA bread flour, I follow Joanne's recipe.

Here is an older link with photos of some of the stuff I made with her dough. Ignore that entire first entry..the math is way too mathy and not necessary.

Oh my - all done with the mixer? I might try that, thanks! I'll send her the link. I usually have bread flour, but I didn't know about adding gluten to regular flour.

Back