RECIPE: Hallie & Joanie - for you.....REC: Chicken in Pandan Leaves

RECIPE:

ruthab

Here's a lovely sounding recipe for you to use with all those fresh pandan leaves at your disposal! I'm also providing a link with an illustration of the leaf, along with more info...

Chicken in Pandan Leaves

from Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food

from AsiaFood.org

“Little bundles of marinated chicken wrapped in pandan leaves and deep fried are very popular as an hors d'oeuvre but I have found it easier, less oily and just as delicious if the bundles are grilled or barbecued.”

1 lb chicken thigh fillets

1 T Thai pepper-coriander paste (see recipe below)

1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger

1 T finely chopped shallot

2 T fish sauce

2 T coconut milk

1 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar

pandan leaves, fresh or frozen

Trim any visible fat from chicken and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, add the chicken and mix well. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.

Put 2 pieces of chicken on each strip of pandan leaf, cut long enough to allow the chicken to be wrapped in it. Fasten with toothpicks. When all are made, place about 6” from source of heat and cook over barbecue or under a preheated griller for about 8 minutes, turning after 4 minutes.

Let guests unwrap them and enjoy the aroma and flavour.

Thai Pepper-Coriander Paste

“Very useful to have on hand if you like Thai cooking, because it combines the most basic of Thai flavours: coriander, pepper and garlic. It will keep well in a glass jar in the refrigerator providing a clean dry spoon is used each time.”

2 bunches fresh coriander

2 T garlic, chopped

1 T salt

3 T whole black peppercorns

4 T lemon juice

Wash coriander in several changes of cold water, swishing it around until all the soil has been dislodged. Scrub the roots well with a small brush and shake off as much moisture as possible, then pat dry in a tea towel. Chop coarsely and measure 2 cups firmly packed coriander, including the roots. Finely chop the measured coriander, or pound with a mortar and pestle.

Crush garlic with salt to a smooth paste.

Roast the peppercorns in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes, then coarsely crush using a mortar and pestle.

Mix all the ingredients together. Another method is to use an electric blender, but in this case reduce peppercorns by half, as they deliver more heat when finely ground.

Store the paste in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator.

http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alpha=P&wordid=3294&startno=1&endno=25

Thank you very much for the recipies on the to try list and the link......

the picture doesn't show the leaf as quite the same as we grow here. I am now determined to get a plant from somewhere and grow these leave. Going to start bugging the nursery AND the buyer at the supermarket to bring the frozen ones in...I'm on a mission. What fun.

You are most welcome. How wonderful to live in a climate that makes it possible to...

grow such exotic plants! I'm green (as a pandan leaf) with envy ;o) If you do try out cooking with them, you'll have to let us know the results...

Back