Happy to see old friends. What was your favorite holiday cookie?

REC: Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti

Sometimes I add a touch of almond extract. These are wonderful and so easy!

Debbie

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick unsalted butter -- (6 tablespoons) softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup almonds - sliced
3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in almonds and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack. Biscotti keep in airtight containers 1 week and frozen, 1 month.

I had several....MaggieNY

One was a round cookie with walnuts baked then rolled in confectioners sugar. Another favorite was a soft molasses cookie that I made. I swear I went though a pan and a gallon of milk just on my own.

Here are my favorite ones...

I made half a recipe of these and rolled them into about 1-inch balls. It made 75 balls. I used 18 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips for the coating. I didn't coat them in non-pareils. I also toasted the pecans. They were great!

The Best Peanut Butter Balls Ever

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 pound confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups melted margarine
7 ounces flaked coconut
12 ounces peanut butter
1 cup chopped nuts -- preferably pecans
Approximately 36 ounces semi-sweet
chocolate

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients (except the chocolate). Use a wooden spoon at first, but you may eventually want to dig in with your hands to blend it well.

Shape into small balls. The recipe yields at the very least 100 balls. If you have less than that, you are making them too big. I usually get 125.

Melt chocolate in a bowl (12 ounces at a time) place over a pot of hot water. Don’t leave the pot on the burner while the chocolate is melting. Bring the water to a boil first. Remove from the heat, then melt the chocolate over the water slowly. AND Don’t get a drop of water in the chocolate. It ruins the consistency. I prefer this method vs. the microwave. The chocolate stays softer while you are rolling the balls.

Once the chocolate is melted, roll the balls one at a time in the chocolate. This is tedious work, but worth it. Be sure to have extra chocolate on hand. Set the balls out on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper and sprinkle with non-pareils.

Place the cookie sheets in a cool place until the chocolate is hard to the touch.

Store in airtight containers or freeze. They'll last 2 weeks or 2 months in the freezer.

Source: http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNews/get/cookie/1388.html

This other favorite cookie was simple to make. Unfortunately, my 15x10-inch pan wasn't deep enough so it ran over the edges and made quite a mess in my oven. But it was so worth it!

Pecan Squares

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Brownies And Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation MethodCrust:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
Filling:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups light or dark corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine -- melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans

In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, sugar, butter and salt until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly and evenly into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine first 5 filling ingredients. Stir in pecans. Spread evenly over hot crust. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.

Source:
"Taste of Home advertisement insert"
Yield:
"4 dozen"

two "new" to me recipes that I really liked, first: REC: Lemon Delights...

I really enjoyed these very tasty little lemon bites. Only change I made was to add the zest of one lemon to the cookie batter. These will stay on my standard Christmas Cookie List.

Lemon Delights
Source: Southern Living Christmas Cookies, 1986

1 C buttered, softened
1/3 C sifted powdered sugar
1 1/4 C flour
3/4 C cornstarch
1/2 C finely chopped pecans
Lemon Frosting

Cream butter in a medium mixing bowl, gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour and cornstarch; mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Shape dough into 1" balls, and roll in pecans to coat lightly. Gently flatten each cookie with bottom of glass dipped in flour. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spread Lemon Frosting evenly over each cookie. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.

Lemon Frosting:
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 t butter, softened
1 t + 1 1/2 t lemon juice

Combine sugar, butter and juice; beat with a wire whisk until smooth.

Second "new" to me recipe that I really liked: REC: Pecan Logs......

Not a particularlly "pretty" cookie. But a very tasty treat. I think it's all the pecans in these cookes that I am so attracted to!

Pecan Logs
Source: 2005 Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies

2 C pecans, toasted
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t coarse salt
1 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C confectioners' sugar
1 large egg
2 t pure vanilla

1. Preheat ove to 350°F. Process pecans in a food processor until finely ground; set aside.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Put butter and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture and half of the ground pecans; mix until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until cold about 30 minutes.

3. Roll tablespoons of dough into 2" long logs. Roll logs in remaining pecans. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 1" apart.

4. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until pale golden and slightly cracked, 14-15 minutes. Transfer logs to wire racks to cool, about 5 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar over cookies before serving, if desired. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Hi Sherri - this was a new one this year for me - REC: Sugar Gems

The dough for this cookie is fairly soft, so make sure it's well chilled when you're slicing these.

I gave a roll of dough to a friend, and she had her five-year-old son help cut and decorate the cookies, to be set out for Santa. He had a blast!

The cookie is really light and crisp - I love the texture of it!

Sugar Gem Cookies (5 rolls, 1 lb 4 oz each)
9 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

2 cups butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups salad oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Colored sugar sprinkles

Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together in a large bow; set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars. Add vanilla, mix well. Add vegetable oil, and eggs and mix until combined.

Add dry ingredients, mix well until just combined. (Dough is really soft).

Drop one-fifth of the batter onto a sheet of waxed paper and roll up into a 12” log. Repeat with the remaining dough. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350º. Slice on roll at a time (keep the other rolls in the fridge) into 3/8” slices. Place on cookies sheet 2” apart (these spread a lot). Sprinkle colored sugar on cookies.

Bake at 350º for 20 minutes until browned all over.

This was a hit this year: REC Macadamia Coconut Icebox Cookies

These were really yummy - got the recipe from allrecipes.com. I think that the macadamias, although fairly expensive, make these very special.

Macadamia Coconut Icebox Cookies from allrecipes.com Submitted by: LYNN SEVERNS
"A great refrigerator cookie with a tropical twist. This dough freezes well and only takes a few minutes to thaw and then bake." Original recipe yield: 6 dozen.

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup flaked coconut

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the butter mixture. Then stir in the oatmeal, macadamia nuts and coconut.

Divide dough into three portions (1 lb. 1 oz each) and roll each portion into a log about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours, or wrap and freeze for up to 2 months.

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper. If frozen, let dough logs sit out at room temperature for 5 minutes. Slice each log into 1/4 inch rounds and place about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown all over. Allow to cool for 1 minute on baking sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool.

Here are the measurements for a double recipe:

Double recipe (6 rolls, 1 lb each)

3 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups chopped macadamia nuts
2 cups flaked coconut

These were fun - REC: Mimi's Oreo Pinwheels

I adapted Mimi's Mint Chocolate Pinwheels, to make them plain, instead of mint-y (christmas-cookies.com, click on the link for her site)

Oreo Pinwheels
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
6 Oreo cookies (regular flavor), finely crushed
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar and baking powder and beat until combined. Beat in egg, mint extract, and a few drops of green food coloring until mixture reaches a mint green color. Stir in flour until well blended. Divide dough in half, wrap halves in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour or until somewhat firm.

Roll one half of dough between two sheets of waxed paper into an 8x7-inch rectangle. Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper and sprinkle half of the crushed Oreo cookies over the dough, to within 1/4 inch of sides. Starting from the short side, roll up dough and pinch to seal.

(Make sure the first spiral is really tight - some of my cookies ended up with a hole in the middle of the cookie, and some of the oreo crumbs fell out. Practice makes perfect!)

Repeat with remaining dough and crushed Oreos. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap and stand upright in tall drinking glasses, then chill about 4 hours or until very firm.

Preheat oven to 375º F. Remove one roll of dough from refrigerator. Unwrap and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm but not brown. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with other roll.

When cooled, melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Transfer melted chocolate to a resealable plastic bag and with scissors, snip off a tiny corner of the bag. Drizzle melted chocolate over cookies. Allow chocolate to set and harden, then store in an airtight container in layers separated by waxed paper for up to 3 weeks.

Thanks Mimi!

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe380.mintchocolatepinwheels.html

Hey Mimi of Finer Kitchens, are you the same as the Mimi of christmas-cookies.com?

I just realized that there are more than one reference to Mimi.

And are you also Mimi QC?

HELP! I'm confused! hee hee!

This is my all-time favorite cookie - REC: Lacy Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches

This is my special occasion cookie, and is the cookie I am most remembered for. When I ask people what kind of cookie they want me to bake, it always starts like, "You know, those really thin, chocolate-y ones you make...."

Lacy Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches
Adapted from Cookies Unlimited by Nick Malgieri

8 tablespoons (4 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (3 ½ oz.) rolled oats
1 cup (7 oz.) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange juice

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled (I use Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips)

Line 3-4 cookie sheets with buttered foil or silpat liners. Set the rack in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350º.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Take the pan off the heat, then add the oats, sugar, salt, egg, vanilla extract and orange juice. Stir until well mixed. (The dough will be quite liquid.)

Use an immersion blender to stir the batter and chop up the oatmeal. (Alternatively, grind the oatmeal to a powder in a food processor until finely ground before adding it to the batter.)

Use a 1 teaspoon measure to drop the batter on the prepared pans, about 3” apart. (Cookies will flatten and spread a lot.)

Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes, or until they have spread and are brown around the edges and lighter toward the center.

When the cookies are completely cooled, peel them off the foil and arrange half of them bottom side up on a pan. Using a butter knife or an offset spatula, place some melted chocolate onto the cookie, top it with another cookie, forming a cookie sandwich. Carefully squish it together to spread the chocolate around.

Place the sandwiched cookies in the fridge for about 15 minutes, until the chocolate hardens.

Store the finished cookies between sheet of parchment or waxed paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.

Double Recipe
8 oz. unsalted butter, melted
7 oz. rolled oats
14 oz. sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange juice

I second that, I made these and got lots of good comments

I added dried cranberries to them, though, to make them more festive-looking. Just to add some color.

REC: Jam Thumbprints

I LOVE these!

JAM THUMBPRINTS

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar (I used 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I used regular salt)
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used all fruit-sweetened jam)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until just combined, and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disk. (I divided the dough in half and placed each half onto a piece of plastic wrap, flattened into disks, and covered with extra plastic wrap). Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1-ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. (I baked about 19-20 minutes). Cool and serve.

Yield: 32 cookies

Barefoot Contessa

Rachael Ray's 5 minute fudge ring was festive and good.

Five-Minute Fudge Wreath
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
9 ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels (I used milk chocolate)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can walnut halves
1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) currants/raisins
8-inch cake pan, lightly greased with softened butter(I lined with parchment as well)
Candied cherries, red and green, for garnish, optional
Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips and milk and stir until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk can. Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat. Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately.
Cover empty condensed milk can with plastic food wrap and center it in the greased cake pan. Spoon fudge into pan around can, making sure to recenter can if it drifts.
The fudge will set up almost immediately. Garnish can only be added in the first minute or 2 the fudge is in the pan, so work quickly. Decorate your wreath with "holly" made from cut candied red and green cherries. A wreath left plain can be garnished with a pretty fabric bow when serving. Chill covered in the refrigerator and slice fudge very thin when ready to serve, a little goes a long way.

The peanut butter cup cookies were a huge hit with everyone--young and old.

Hi Sherry - it had to be Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

If you want the recipe, I'll post it.

Good to see you too!

Back