Has anyone ever made homemade chorizo?

mimi

I have been hankering for it since we got back from spending the holidays in Arizona, but of course I can't get it here in Quebec. I was wondering if it would be a nightmare to prepare or something fairly simple with ingredients that can be easily found in Canada? I've never made sausage before, but for the chorizo I don't think I'd stuff it into sausage casings because my recipes that use it always have you squeeze it out anyway.

Mimi, here is a T&T Chorizo REC that I have made many times

It has complex flavor and is very good

Chorizo
makes about 3 lbs

1-1/2 lb lean beef round
1-1/2 lb lean pork
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 heaping tbsp salt
2-1/2 tsp brown sugar (packed)
1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander
1 tsp each dried mint leaves, basil
1 tbsp oregano
3 tbsp chili powder

cube the meat and grind coarsely. Combine the meat with the vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and mix with your hands until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate overnight. Stuff into casings to form sausages about 1 foot long and 1 inch thick or form into rolls, wap in cheesecloth and tie with string. Hang to dry in a warm spot away from light for 2 days (a dry cellar or attic is perfect)/ Remove cheesecloth if used. Slice sausage into rounds and fry in olive oil.

From The Complete Sausage Cookbook

There's also a recipe in the novel "Like Water for Chocolate" >>

I've been reluctant to try it because of the idea of stuffing casings and storing it, and because in the book the sausage goes horribly bad, but now that you mention it those things aren't necessary.

One thing I do know about sausage is that if you're grinding the meat yourself pork shoulder (butt) has a good fat/lean ratio and it's inexpensive.

Let us know if you try it!

Joe, you need about 70 degree temp and good air circulation

and the "trick" here is to not make the sausages too thick. 1" is plenty thick. If it makes you really nervous to have the sausages cure in the air then just put the mix in the fridge and keep it for a few days then fry up patties. it will not taste quite the same but should still be pretty darn good. I make Chorizo in the Winter here because the temps are right and am still walking around after eating it over many years.

By the way, I use curing salt not regular salt but if you cannot find it, use Kosher salt.

Would the temperature have to be constant, day and night >>

In California it always cools off about 20* at night. If the temp. is in the 70's by day it's in the 50's at night. But I'm determined to try at least the un-stuffed version. Thanks for the info.

I'm not certain, Joe- I have not experimented with different temperatures but

my first thought is yes, it would be fine. If you hang it two days then refrigerate or freeze it, you are going to cook it anyway so I cannot imagine a lower temp at night will hurt anything.

Thank you Cathy. One more question? >>

What type of sausage stuffer do you use? I'm considering buying a KithchenAid mixer attachment, since that's what I use for a meat grinder.

Trader Joe's has great Italian sausage but they always seem to be out of them when I need them most. The same with the deli where I buy sausages for cassoulet. I'm thinking it's time I learned to make my own.

Back