Heavy Cream Powder: has anyone used this product?

marilynfl

I've bought a version from Judee's as that seemed to have the best reviews.
I'm not interested in making heavy cream so much as increasing the "creaminess" of the ultra pasteurized (UP) heavy cream I can buy here.

Why, you may ask? Well...my candy caramel is now perfect to my taste, but ONLY when I've been able to source pasteurized (P) heavy cream, with the solid cream at the top. It makes the caramel taste much "creamier" than the UP stuff. Even reviews from samplers between the two use the word "creamier" to describe the P version. (I gave two 7"x7" slabs of caramel to the library staff last Christmas: one made with UP cream and one made with P cream. I was too lazy to cut it up so they got slabs and a knife and I got commentary.)

OK, this is the oddest thing I have ever heard of. Tell us how well it works, please. And where did you find P cream with solid cream at the top? What brand? I would buy it, but I doubt it's available in Orlando, maybe at Whole Paycheck.

Lana, when I first moved here around 2018, Whole Foods carried three different brands of pasteurized heavy cream. Then it whittled down to one supplier. That was fine but then COVID hit and I couldn't find it anywhere for 2 years. I did find it last year in Pittsburgh's WF in quart size and now my WF here in Asheville has started carrying it again, but now it's 8 oz for $2.49 when before COVID it was $3.49 for a pint.
My caramel recipe uses a pint.

I've bought a version from Judee's as that seemed to have the best reviews.
I'm not interested in making heavy cream so much as increasing the "creaminess" of the ultra pasteurized (UP) heavy cream I can buy here.

Why, you may ask? Well...my candy caramel is now perfect to my taste, but ONLY when I've been able to source pasteurized (P) heavy cream, with the solid cream at the top. It makes the caramel taste much "creamier" than the UP stuff. Even reviews from samplers between the two use the word "creamier" to describe the P version. (I gave two 7"x7" slabs of caramel to the library staff last Christmas: one made with UP cream and one made with P cream. I was too lazy to cut it up so they got slabs and a knife and I got commentary.)

Marilynfl,
Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? The ones out here sell an absolutely WONDERFUL organic heavy whipping cream. It has the thick goodness at the top, and is is NOT UHT, it is merely pasteurized.
Other than that, have you tried to source good, heavy, pasteurized cream from a health food store or chain? Might you consider trying raw cream if it were available?
BTW, I love caramels, it is that texture, the pull, the cream on the tongue. .. !!!~!

Lana, when I first moved here around 2018, Whole Foods carried three different brands of pasteurized heavy cream. Then it whittled down to one supplier. That was fine but then COVID hit and I couldn't find it anywhere for 2 years. I did find it last year in Pittsburgh's WF in quart size and now my WF here in Asheville has started carrying it again, but now it's 8 oz for $2.49 when before COVID it was $3.49 for a pint.
My caramel recipe uses a pint.
Good to know, thanks.

Mistral, my TJ has never carried the pasteurized version. I remember Joe saying he could get it in CA.

Next week I’ll be in Asheville and plan to pick up a bottle of “the good stuff”. That way I’ll have a baseline for comparison with the powdered stuff.

Back