Here I am, finally

angak

I found Gail's when I formatted my MSN homepage in 2004 and added EPI.

So, it's been a few years that I've had the pleasure of your company. I was born in Canada to German immigrant parents. We moved to the states, Illinois, then Indiana, when I was 2 1/2 and I have lived in Alaska now since 1991. It truly has been an adventure, living in Nome and in Barrow and now in "metropolitan" Anchorage with a fishing cabin on the Kenai River for when we hanker for "the bush"(although, a cabin with a washer and dryer does not really qualify for "bush" status smileys/smile.gif. Grew up with German meat and boiled potatoes and soft cooked veggie meals because that's what Pop liked. Occasionally noodles or dumplings or rice were added for a change, but never anything Asian or Mexican or, well you get my drift. Very much like what Erin in Prague is finding. Mom grew up in Russia in a German settlement, so we had some Russian dishes thrown in every once in awhile just to shake things up. And, Mom's kitchen was “her” kitchen, so we 3 girls did very little in the way of cooking in the home, just lots of observing. Mom did lots of canning and baking and what she cooked was done very well, just not very spicy or exciting. I think that's why I love to experiment with different foods now. My DH has been ill this year and cannot eat or drink. Sooooo,I do just a bit of cooking here and there for myself or for friends and church. I "cook" vicariously through your posts and get inspired by the menus that get posted. But, I do have a passion for baking and giving it away to friends and co-workers. It satisfies my need to make something in the kitchen and to try some of the great recipes I find on here from all you great foodies. One interesting non-food fact about me is that I attended the 1972 Olympics in Munich. I was a senior in High school and my relatives in Germany landed me a spot with their youth sports group. What a time we had!

Back