Hing (Asafetida)

Paul

RecipeSwap.org host
Staff member
I started a Great Courses on spices. Then I went down the rabbit hole after Indian spices were featured, since I've done almost no Indian cooking other than attempts at lentils and curry. I did some reading and came across this magical ingredient. So I ordered some to try it out. I kind of feel like Gandalf however when he's looking down at the ring on the floor skeptically and maybe even a little scared... I've read that it can stink up your pantry so I have not yet opened it. Any suggestions for a first try? I guess I'll just keep the whole jar in a ziplock back after I open it.

Well, you sent me to google which I am sure you read also. I will say that with Indian cooking (I took a class at our Johnson & Wales) that once you have the voluminous spice cabinet on hand it comes together easily (but we didn't use Hing nor do I have any). The first thing I read was what it caused!! Not pretty. And then what it cured. Impressive.
But with the description of getting the "burnt onion garlicky flavor of Indian cookery" in a spice, it made sense--that burnt onion flavor is so good, but I think caution is in order for the amount used. Interesting. Report back!
The second link is a really nice explanation of its uses.

Asafoetida is traditionally used for the treatment of different diseases, such as whooping cough, asthma, ulcer, epilepsy, stomachache, flatulence, bronchitis, intestinal parasites, antispasmodic, weak digestion and influenza. Asafoetida is an effective remedy for several diseases of the stomach.Dec 20, 2016

I started a Great Courses on spices. Then I went down the rabbit hole after Indian spices were featured, since I've done almost no Indian cooking other than attempts at lentils and curry. I did some reading and came across this magical ingredient. So I ordered some to try it out. I kind of feel like Gandalf however when he's looking down at the ring on the floor skeptically and maybe even a little scared... I've read that it can stink up your pantry so I have not yet opened it. Any suggestions for a first try? I guess I'll just keep the whole jar in a ziplock back after I open it.
No it doesn't stink your pantry, it's usually sold in a little yellow box (TRS brand) and it's very useful but you can't use a lot of it. It's like a pinch or two max. I do only Indian food and it's not hing that stinks up your pantry. Mostly, with indian spices it's best to have air tight containers. But it doesn't stink up your pantry, Indian spices are fragrant.

And basically, mostly it's used when you don't want to use ginger or garlic but still have the taste of it. Andyes Hing has also a lot of good health benefits

I've had asafoetida, in the little yellow container, in my pantry for a while and it doesn't emit any odor. Do use it sparingly though!

I've had asafoetida, in the little yellow container, in my pantry for a while and it doesn't emit any odor. Do use it sparingly though!
Yes it's from TRS brand most probably and I agree it doesn't emit any odour at all. Yes when you use it only a pinch or two suffice!

I wasn't sure what brand to get but "Rani" was popular and high rated on Amazon so that is what I got. They had a "gluten friendly" version which means it is cut with brown rice instead of wheat. I will try it out this week.

I wasn't sure what brand to get but "Rani" was popular and high rated on Amazon so that is what I got. They had a "gluten friendly" version which means it is cut with brown rice instead of wheat. I will try it out this week.
The brand in this case doesn't really matter, Hing is hing at the end of the day ;-) It will add a gingery garlicky taste, but use in very small quantities, not more than a pinch or two. I basically use it mostly to temper my oil before cooking, in Indian terms I use it on a tadka. ;-) excellent combination with curry leaves as well.

I had some in my Indian spices supply which I admit, I kept in the basement. And I think it is fun to use.

geez, I'm seeing myself cooking Indian style again.

I have a jar and it is with the rest of my Indian spices. I haven't noticed it smelling up anything, but it's in a sealed glass jar.

Back