Holiday Hits. What was a hit and what was a miss?? more

angak

Who da thunk? My big hit was my dessert, which was the ever so easy chocolate cake roll that is no-bake, made from Famous chocolate wafers layered with sweetened whipped cream and shaped in a log and then covered with whipped cream. Made a day ahead, the wafers absorb moisture from the whipped cream and get very soft and it tastes like a luscious orea cookie. Go figure, but everyone loved it(recipe is on the box---I just add some powdered sugar to sweeten the cream a bit). It was a last minute idea I had because there were some young kids coming for dinner and they didn't like the key lime pie(more for the adults, yum) The Ina Garten spinach gratin was very good, and my cheeseball shaped like an igloo with black olive penguins was also a huge hit---only no one wanted to break into it so I did the dirty deed! haha.

Ahh yes the Ice Box cake!!!!

I don't know anyone who does not like the ice box cake. That used to be my husbands speciality. When ever I was bummed out, he would make an ice box cake, I would eat one slice, and he and the kids would take care of the rest of it. smileys/smile.gif
I have a wonderful recipe for a raspberry version that fancies it up a bit.
Our hit was the ham. It was my daughter's first attempt and it came out beautifully. The glaze actually hardened to make a candy like crust.
The big miss was dessert brought by my in-laws
( I swear to all of you who know me, and my history with them, I am not being snarky, really) They brought a devil's food cake that tasted OK, however something happened to the frosting and it just absorbed into the cake and there was just this naked looking layer cake. It was almost like they made the frosting out of egg whites.

I cooked my first goose. (Steamed, then roasted, Julia's way)

Everyone liked it but to me the sauce was only OK.

Much better were a neighbor's appetizer, just sea scallops wrapped in prosciutto and baked quickly in a hot oven. She had managed to find them with the coral still attached. Amazing.

I had some very young radishes in the garden, only about 1/2" long, and we served them the French way with soft butter and sea salt for dipping. Everyone was blown away. I slaved over that goose all day but it was radishes that impressed them!

Joe, did you make a cherry sauce for it? My sister cooks a goose...

each year and uses cherry kirschvasser (or something like that) for it...I'm just wondering if that's what your recipe called for?

Beef Wellington a success but dessert was the real hit

The tenderloin was pink and perfect. The Brioche dough baked perfectly. The duxelle with the closest thing to fois gras I could find turned out perfectly (except for a lousy quality Madiera because I could not find a good one nor a good Port). the simple brown sauce was superb but was mingled with everything so nobody could rave (drat- it took two days to make and I thought it would steal the show!). I made Pat's oven baked red potatoes with parmesan and they turned out perfectly. I steamed asparagus tips and the timing worked and they were not overcooked. Everyone enjoyed the dinner.

Then I put out the dessert buffet. I made a blueberry tart with a layer of pastry cream cut with whipped cream and almonds which I thought looked pretty darn good. I had four kinds of Christmas cookies and then I put out warm croissant bread pudding- I put a layer of chopped cranberries and chopped bittersweet chocolate in the interior center of the bread pudding and poured a rich custard over it and baked it- and served it with a chocolate sauce made of bittersweet chocolate/cream and a second sauce made of the leftover pastry cream/whipped cream from the blueberry tart. Well, they almost swooned over the bread pudding. It was all anyone could talk about.

Jeez- next time I will make a turkey instead of going through the process of making Beef Wellington! As long as I give the crowd something chocolate they will love dinner!

No but that sure sounds good >>

It was just a port wine sauce made from the pan drippings, port, stock and cornstarch. I don't think the drippings were caramelized enough--I must have added too much wine to the pan (and to myself) while the goose was roasting.

This was a big hit-served with vanilla gelato...

Roasted Pears and Grapes

Recipe By :Lidia Bastianich
Serving Size : 6

2 cups seedless grapes -- red
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup moscato -- or other sweet wine
2 lemons -- juiced
1/2 vanilla bean -- split lengthwise
2 tablespoons apricot jam
3 Bosc pears -- firm but ripe

"Preheat oven to 375 F. Place the grapes in an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Combine the sugar, lemon juice, moscato, vanilla beans and apricot jam in a bowl and stir until blended. Pour over the grapes. Cut the pears in half through the core and remove the cores and seeds. Nestle the pear halves, cut side up, into the grapes.
Bake until the pears are tender and the liquid around the grapes is thick and syrupy, about 50 minutes. Remove the pears and let stand for about 10 minutes. Serve them with some of the grapes and their liquid spooned around them"

REC Pain Au Chocolat Bread Pudding with Cranberries and Chocolate Sauce

This is from Gourmet, Dec 1997 issue

PAIN AU CHOCOLAT BREAD PUDDING WITH CRANBERRIES AND CHOCOLATE SAUCE

6 cups lightly packed bite-size pieces croissant (from about 8- 5-1/2" croissants)
6 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
1-1/2 cups fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries
3 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter

In a large baking pan dry bread, uncovered, at room temperature 12 hours.

butter a 1-1/2 qt shallow baking dish.

Chop chocolate. In a food processor finely chop cranberries. Arrange half of bread in one layer in baking dish and sprinkle evenly with half of chocolate and all of the cranberries. Top mixture with the remaining bread.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, milk, 1/2 cup of the cream, vanilla and salt and pour slowly and evenly over bread. Cut butter into bits and dot pudding with it. Chill, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake pudding in middle of oven until slightly puffed and golden, about 40 minutes.

In a small metal bowl set over a small saucepan of barely simmering water melt remaining chocolate and whisk in remaining 1/4 cup cream and a pinch salt until combined well. Keep sauce warm, covered.

Serve pudding warm or at room temp with sauce. Serves 6-8.

My notes: I used a 3 qt round ceramic deep baking dish and it was just right. I used more chocolate- about 9 oz because I wanted more sauce- and I used more cream because of it- About 1/2 cup in the sauce instead of 1/4 cup.

Surprise Hits - Gingerbread & Lemon Curd Trifle w/ Blackberry Sauce and Steam Roasted Turkey

The Trifle

My friend made this trifle, it is from Bobby Flay - it is a wonderful combination of flavors, I love lemon and berries together:

Gingerbread and Lemon Curd Trifle with Blackberry Sauce Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 to 12 servings

Gingerbread Cake:
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Lemon Curd Filling, recipe follows
Blackberry Sauce, recipe follows

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Spray 1 half-sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; spray paper. Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Mix in crystallized ginger. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in brown sugar. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Gradually beat in molasses, followed by 1 cup boiling water. Mix in grated lemon peel. Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan sides. Turn out onto a rack and peel off paper. Cool and cut into 1-inch cubes.

To assemble:
Using a trifle bowl, start with an even layer of gingerbread cubes, top with 1/3 of the lemon curd mixture, and 1/3 of the blackberry sauce. Repeat 2 more times. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.

Lemon Curd Filling:
2 (11-ounce) jars prepared lemon curd
2 cups heavy cream, sweetened with sugar and vanilla, beaten to soft peaks
Place lemon curd in a large bowl. Fold in half of the whipped cream until combined. Refrigerate if not using immediately. Reserve remaining whipped cream for the top of the trifle.

Blackberry Sauce:
2 pints fresh blackberries, or 1 bag frozen blackberries, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons framboise (raspberry liqueur)
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Place blackberries, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and cook until the berries are soft and the sugar has melted. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour through a strainer into a bowl. Stir in the framboise and lemon juice. Set aside until ready to use.

Episode#: GL0504
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

The Turkey

I don't really care for turkey, and usually only eat it on Thanksgiving. This year, however, we had a free grocery store turkey that I needed to get out of the freezer, so I wanted to try this steam roasting method from the LA Times. It is so simple and it made one of the best tasting, moist turkeys we'd ever had.

This article has some great info on roasting methods and heritage birds. We used a plain "no name" brand of frozen turkey, and got spectacular results. I removed from the oven when the breast was at 160ºF.

FIT FOR A PILGRIM
By Regina Schrambling
Special to The Times

November 16, 2005

Steam-roasted heritage or free-range turkey

Total time: About 4 hours after 1 hour salt-curing

Servings: 10 to 12 with leftovers

(For a 19- to 20-pound bird, leave the cover on for 2 1/2 hours and then proceed with step 4.)

1 (14- to 16-pound) heritage or free-range turkey, giblets and neck removed
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon mild pure ground chile pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
Stuffing of choice

1 large bunch fresh rosemary
1 large bunch fresh thyme
2 large heads garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey; set aside for making the gravy. Rinse the turkey, drain well and pat almost dry. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Combine the salt, sugar, chile pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the turkey to thickly coat the skin. Set aside for 1 hour.

2. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush the salt mixture off the turkey. Wipe clean with damp paper towels. Lightly pack the stuffing into the neck and cavity and tie the legs closed.

3. Place the turkey in the bottom of a roasting pan with a lid big enough to accommodate the turkey. Arrange the herbs and garlic cloves evenly around the turkey. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Lower the setting to 325 degrees and roast for 2 hours.

4. Remove the lid from the pan. Spread the butter evenly over the turkey's skin. Raise the oven setting to 350 degrees. Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast or thigh reads 165 degrees, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.

5. Remove the turkey from the oven and spoon all the stuffing out into an ovenproof serving dish. Loosely cover the turkey with a tent of aluminum foil and let stand 30 minutes before carving.

Each (4-ounce) serving without skin: 178 calories; 33 grams protein; 0 carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 4 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 112 mg. cholesterol; 185 mg. sodium.

Variations

Jerk spice rub: For the rub, substitute 1 tablespoon dried thyme and one-half teaspoon ground allspice for the chile powder. Use the same aromatics in the roasting pan.

Chipotle spice rub: For the rub, substitute 1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper for the ground chile powder. Use the same aromatics.

Aromatics variation: Prepare the rub as in the master recipe and use the following aromatics in the roasting pan: omit thyme and garlic; add 1 tablespoon lightly crushed juniper berries with 6 peeled, halved shallots.

The article is here: http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-turkey16nov16,1,6208844.story?coll=la-home-food

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32462,00.html

Hee Hee I am going to start a seperate thread about weird or just mediocre food brought by guests.

Look for it. i'll describe the smelly anti pasti dish brought by brother's wife.

Strawberry Shortcake with home-grown frozen strawberries!

From Epi--blissful.

I've been planning this Christmas dessert since July, when it was too hot to bake biscuits.

Used the minimum amount of sugar, both in the berries and the whipped cream. Rinsed the frost off the frozen berries, then added the sugar, and set them out on the counter overnight to thaw.

MariaDNoCa's Roast Prime Rib Au Poivré and Cranberry Walnut Salad posted by Pat

Huge hit in my house on Christmas Eve!

A bit disappointed here. I made a lovely dinner that DH and I enjoyed.....

However, the other 7 people had very simple palates and my dinner was pronounced too "gourmet" for them. Believe me it was nothing like the dinners already mentioned on this thread. The overwhelming success was the Mac & Cheese recipe from Martha Stewart posted by orchid. This got enormous raves. My spinach salad was not liked by many, the wild rice salad was way over the gourmet-o-meter, and the pear and pistachio tart was upstaged by a vanilla chess pie in a tinfoil pan and Pillsbury crust. Oh well, DH ate heartily and was looking for left overs the next day, so someone enjoyed it all.

Thanks orchid for the hit of the dinner!

Back