I have to bring a Salad on Christmas...any suggestions? Thanks nt

Your post has made me decide to fix a layered

salad for our Christmas dinner. Thanks for the "push".

How about this Arugula, Goat Cheese and Apple Salad?

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Arugula, Goat Cheese And Granny Smith Apple Salad

Recipe By : Globe Magazine
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 Bunches Arugula, Stems Removed, Well Washed -- dried
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper -- to taste
1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
2 Granny Smith Apples
1/4 Pound Soft, Plain Goat Cheese -- crumbled

Wash the arugula in seceral changes of water and dry well. Arrange the leaves on a large platter and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the salt and pepper and vinegar. When the salt dissolves, stir in the mustard. Drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing emulsifies.

Just before serving, core and slice the apples. Scatter them onto the arugula. Sprinkle the salad all over with enough dressing to lightly moisten it. Add more black pepper and sprinkle with goat cheese. Serve at once.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This recipe predates washed and bagged arugula, so I think you could easily substitute a couple of bags for the bunches called for. It would also be nice with an arugula mix.

Mixed greens, fuyu persimmons, wedges sliced thinly,

crumbly gorgonzola, fresh orange viniagrette, peppered toasted pecans. All variations of a pear/greens salad I have been using. My FIL had the persimmons, I have an orange tree. Let me know if you want the orange viniagrette dressing.

This Cranberry Walnut Salad from Karen/NoCal. is very good and would go well with your pork entree.

Cranberry Walnut Salad

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp. minced shallot
1 tsp. minced garlic (or a little less)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil (original recipe called for 1 cup which I thought was too much)
1/2 cup lightly toasted chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
salad greens to serve 8 (about 1 bag mesclun mix OR can use hearts of romaine lettuce)

Gently swish salad greens in cold water put through a salad spinner and into a salad bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and put into refrigerator. Put first seven ingredients into a small bowl and stir. Just before serving, add olive oil to above ingredients and emulsify (I used a wire whisk to incorporate oil well). Toss salad greens with cranberries, nuts, and dressing and serve. (Toss greens with a small amount of dressing, adding more as needed, being careful not to add too much.) Can also put dressing in a zip lock bag, open a corner and let the dressing pour out slowly as someone else mixes the greens. Any leftover dressing goes into the refrigerator and if none is left, the ziplock bag is simply tossed out.......nothing to wash.

Source: Karen/NoCal from Dacor Appliance demonstration

Pat’s notes: I also really like to add crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese and fresh avocado chopped.

Cranberry Walnut Salad to serve 32

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tsp. minced shallot
4 tsp. minced garlic
4 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 cups olive oil (original recipe called for 4 cups)
2 cups lightly toasted chopped walnuts (or pecans)
2 cups dried cranberries
salad greens to serve 32 (about 4 bags mesclun mix)

Rec: Bibb Lettuce Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese

Bibb Lettuce Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
Serves 6

This salad is about the interplay of crisp sweet pecans with salty, pungent blue cheese, tender greens and juicy pears. It's all held together with one of my favorite dressings.

1 cup pecan halves
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon honey
4 small heads Bibb lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
6 tablespoons Walnut and Late Harvest Riesling Dressing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 ounces blue cheese, such as Maytag, crumbled
2 ripe Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into matchstick-size pieces

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Spread the pecans on a sheet pan and bake until heated, about 5 minutes. Stir together the corn syrup and honey in a small bowl. Pour the syrup over the nuts and toss to coat evenly. Bake until the nuts have absorbed most of the syrup and are glazed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Separate the pecans that are sticking together and cool completely.

Toss the lettuce with the dressing in a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 plates. Sprinkle equal amounts of the cheese, pears, and nuts over the top of each salad. Serve immediately.

Walnut and Late Harvest Riesling Vinaigrette
Makes 1 1/2 cups

This slightly sweet salad dressing allows me to indulge in two of my favorite ingredients, walnut mustard and late harvest Riesling vinegar. Even with Dijon mustard and any fruit-flavored vinegar, you'll get a great vinaigrette.

1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Laurent de Clos Walnut Mustard (see below) or Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup Cuisine Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar (see below)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Put the mayonnaise, mustard and garlic in a blender and process until smooth. Add the vinegar and process to combine. With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until the dressing thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The dressing can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated.)

Recommended ingredients: Laurent de Clos Walnut Mustard and Cuisine Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar are available at specialty food stores and by mail order: The Mustard Museum. www.mustardmuseum.com

Source: From the show Cooking with Art Smith
http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_20020916_bibbsalad.jhtml

Pat’s notes: Yummy salad. The pecans are terrific and very addictive (hubby and I ate half of them before dinner..LOL). The Maytag blue cheese is worth searching out too...quite delicious on this salad. I want to play around with those pecans for other applications too....I can just see stirring in a touch of good cinnamon into the honey and corn syrup before coating the pecans. Or maybe a touch of vanilla. Or for a sweet hot touch, maybe add a whisper of cayenne.

I was able to find the Cuisine Perel Late Harvest Vinegar which is really delicious, though the recipe notes say any fruit-flavored vinegar will work. The ingredients listed on the Cuisine Perel label are: white wine vinegar, white grape juice, and cider vinegar, so you could probably play around making a similar concoction if you wanted to. For the mustard I just used dijon.

Rec: Walnut and Late Harvest Riesling Vinaigrette..Thanks Pat! Looks so good, I found the dressing>

Walnut and Late Harvest Riesling Vinaigrette
Recipe created by Art Smith
From the show Cooking with Art Smith
Makes 1 1/2 cups

This slightly sweet salad dressing allows me to indulge in two of my favorite ingredients, walnut mustard and late harvest Riesling vinegar. Even with Dijon mustard and any fruit-flavored vinegar, you'll get a great vinaigrette.

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Laurent de Clos Walnut Mustard (see below) or Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup Cuisine Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar (see below)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Put the mayonnaise, mustard and garlic in a blender and process until smooth. Add the vinegar and process to combine. With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until the dressing thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The dressing can be prepared up to 3 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated.)

Recommended ingredients: Laurent de Clos Walnut Mustard and Cuisine Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar are available at specialty food stores and by mail order:

The Mustard Museum
100 West Main Street
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin 53572
(800) 438-6878
www.mustardmuseum.com

Pat this sounds great. Just got back from a shopping trip to get the missing ingredients. Thanks!

We're having this on Christmas Eve.

Roasted pear, fennel and spinach with pomegranate

you cut the pear and fennel into wedges, then roast separately with some olive oil, salt and pepper - then cool everything and mix with raw spinach leaves - then you could sprinkle it with pomegranate seeds to make it festive...

Here's another of my favorites with Apples, Blue Cheese, & Walnuts

I love this dressing. For ease, I often substitute baby spinach for the greens.

Recipe: Cafe Salad of Endive, Apple, French Blue
Cheese and Walnuts

Makes 4 servings
- 1 head Belgian endive, sliced into bite-size pieces
(about 2 cups)
- 2 cups torn frisee
- 2 cups torn regular radicchio or the treviso variety
- ½ cup Mustard Vinaigrette (see accompanying recipe)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium Granny Smith or Braeburn apple, julienned
- 2 ounces Fourme d'Ambert or other blue cheese,
crumbled
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted (see note)
Place the greens and the vinaigrette in a mixing bowl
and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add
the apples and toss again. Divide among four chilled
salad plates and garnish with the blue cheese and
walnuts.
Note: To toast nuts, heat in a dry skillet over medium
heat until they start to brown. Stir occasionally. Be
careful not to scorch them.

Recipe: Mustard Vinaigrette

Makes 2 cups
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
-1 tablespoon finely minced shallots
-1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
-1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
-1 egg (see note)
-¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
-Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, add the vinegar, shallots, lemon
juice, mustard and egg; blend well. While machine is
running, slowly add the oils to emulsify. Add salt and
pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl, cover and
refrigerate.

Adapted from chef David Machado, Lauro Mediterranean
Kitchen, Portland, Ore.

AH! I forgot the oranges.....

I also add chunks of orange and the juice that comes out while cutting them - as for dressing, the oil that the pears and fennel have from roasting should be enough - salt and pepper and maybe a bit of lemon to "tart it up" but it really is good with just the juice form the cut oranges...

Back