I need help to dissect what I’m being asked to bring for Christmas dinner…

mariadnoca

And maybe it’s just me, but this idea was concocted by three of my sister-in-law‘s. Which possibly proves that one head is better organized than three. But I digress. So we were first told Christmas dinner was going to be the feast of seven fishes, this is all by text to 20 people by the way, so you can’t actually say anything without everybody seeing you. This is a huge change because for over 40 years it’s been a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner. Much to my personal chagrin, but there you go. Not being an actual Italian family, but they kind of play one on TV because they’re distantly related, by marriage or name, but you know it’s not like anybody speaks Italian, or has Italian customs, or you know, any of that. None of them had a Nona. So this was…news. But feast of seven fishes it is. We all got our potluck assignments – mine being bring shrimp cocktail and cookies (no pie, no eggnog cheese cake 😞). Btw, no count of how many were coming, I asked. However, today we all got an updated text that said, here’s what everybody’s bringing, with that list. Then said they are making cioppino, providing the broth, and asked everyone to bring whatever seafood we want to go in the pot.

I am very confused.

Is bringing your own raw food to go into the main dish for dinner a thing? How do I know what to bring? How do I know how much to bring? I don’t want to reply to the text with complaints because I’ve already seen replies that said, what about people that are allergic to shellfish, and comments of I’ll bring what we’ll eat and like, and how do I get out of these texts, I’m not coming. I waited for somebody to bring up dungeness crab season is delayed after somebody said, just bring more crab. Nobody did, so I mentioned that and was told to go to Costco for frozen crab, but isn’t that king crab? that’s not cioppino crab, right? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Also, it pretty much assumes everybody has a Costco card which by the way I do, but gawd, I really don’t wanna go to Costco and buy a vat of crab. That sounds pretty expensive for food for just me. It will also never fit in my freezer. Did I mention I don’t like cippino? Or the idea of going to a fish monger (Whole Foods, I’m not driving to the beach) the day before Christmas?

Can somebody weigh In on this, because I’m really confused. You are all food people, is this normal?

What could possibly go wrong? (Yowza!)

I've heard of this "feast" but had to google it to get the lowdown.

Evidently, it's not known in Italy, only America. Italian-Americans have a tradition of fasting and not eating meat on Christmas Eve Day, so they eat fish and seafood instead. According to what I read, it is a large meal of approximately seven different seafood dishes, not one big cioppino, but there are no real hard and fast rules.

If it were me, I'd bring whatever I could afford, plus a seafood dish I like, so I would have something to eat!

(I'm not much help, but heck, maybe they'll pull it off and put something out that's actually GOOD.)

What could possibly go wrong? (Yowza!)

I've heard of this "feast" but had to google it to get the lowdown.

Evidently, it's not known in Italy, only America. Italian-Americans have a tradition of fasting and not eating meat on Christmas Eve Day, so they eat fish and seafood instead. According to what I read, it is a large meal of approximately seven different seafood dishes, not one big cioppino, but there are no real hard and fast rules.

If it were me, I'd bring whatever I could afford, plus a seafood dish I like, so I would have something to eat!

(I'm not much help, but heck, maybe they'll pull it off and put something out that's actually GOOD.)
Yes, I had to look it up as well to see what’s served, because the Italians I grew up with were the Nona and papa from Italy we don’t speak English kind. I think it’s more of an east coast thing maybe? When I looked it up I thought how are they going to pull off so many dishes that aren’t do ahead, and so expensive? There is probably at least 25 people. I guess they figured that part out and decided…this? The whole thing starts at noon, so don’t know what I could bring for myself besides a protein bar that wouldn’t require use of the kitchen come a 7 or 8 pm dinner. I…just don’t even know how to respond. Do people get asked to bring, something, to go in a pot for dinner? Is that a thing?

I think you can simplify it. You know now how many. That is a BIG pot of cioppino!! I wonder if they have calculated THAT! Adding the seafood at the end when you are about to eat would work very well I think.
I don't see a problem asking questions of the entire group--like "Is anyone allergic to X that I plan to bring?" That will bring out others' allergies, if there are any.
I guess there are 4 or 5 groups in the the 25? So that could bring out--"How many are bringing fish (cod, snapper,etc.) for the stew" How many are bringing shrimp/crab, etc. I think dungeness would be the "right" crab for cioppino since it is a west coast dish.
There was an article somewhere about doing the 7 fishes using canned stuff if you wanted to do it for an hors d'oerurve.
And personally I think shrimp cocktail is boring and I'd make a different shrimp appy.
Good luck--the 3 heads need to be more inclusively directive, IMO LOL

Sounds like maybe somebody read the article about the perpetual stew that this lady in NYC started where all these random people just show up to the park with some sort of food to add to the pot of stew. At least these are people you know and not random strangers adding baggies of who knows what.

Still it all sounds quite confusing and expensive - they want you to bring shrimp cocktail appetizer AND real crab meat.

hmmm, 7 fishes on Christmas Eve is definitely a Pittsburgh thing as we had so many ethnic groups...but the version I had with Italian boyfriends would be: baccala (dried salted cod, reconstituted), fried smelts, eel, clam linguini, fried fish (usually cod or walleye), shrimp cocktail, fried oysters. Plus pasta. Cioppino was NEVER on the menu, so maybe that's a CA thing.

At my family's Eve dinner, we do meatless with fried fish & shrimp cocktail the only seafoods. Then there are perogies, potato pancakes (latkes), broccoli cheese rice casserole, salads, and a bunch of other stuff. All the leftovers go to the family dinner on Xmas with the addition of ham and more sides.

This recipe doesn't add crab. You do want a firm fish that can stand up to the broth. Crab gets added at the end of any dish I've made. It's too expensive to overcook it

Fyi, the Dungeness crab season, has been delayed due to whale migration. So you can’t get Dungeness crab, which is a very traditional San Francisco holiday meal.

Yes, I’m being ask to bring shrimp cocktail, seafood for the pot, and make Christmas cookies for dessert. (it will be the 3rd time making assorted and decorated Christmas cookies this season, ugh)

Oh and I still don’t have a count, I just know 20 were on the text, they all come with spouses and kids, if they are coming at all. I’m just guessing that could be a minimum number, but some are just coming for appetizers and not dinner, so I don’t really have a grasp on count.

I’ll bring shrimp cocktail because i know they like it (this isn’t normally a fish crowd, so might be the only thing they like) and I have a bag of frozen shrimp in my freezer I’ll be happy to get out.

My concern is the “bring something for the pot” and/or figure out something else I could bring for me to eat. Also, wanted to know if this is an odd request. I know in the south they do shrimp boils and that type of thing…are people asked to provide what goes in the pot? I’ve never heard of being asked to bring raw ingredients for the main dish and wanted to know if it’s common?

no to bringing something for a shrimp boil!! Can you get a bag of mussels maybe? or clams? a piece of cod? DON"T get sucked into doing the crab request--in a cioppino that size it won't even be tasted IMO.

I did make a shrimp dip for a family gathering yesterday that was a hit--just creaam cheese, mayo, green onions and chopped shrimp. I know what you mean about getting it out of the freezer and just "do" it.

I really want to hear how this comes out--all around!!

I’ll bring shrimp cocktail because i know they like it (this isn’t normally a fish crowd, so might be the only thing they like) and I have a bag of frozen shrimp in my freezer I’ll be happy to get out.

My concern is the “bring something for the pot” and/or figure out something else I could bring for me to eat. Also, wanted to know if this is an odd request. I know in the south they do shrimp boils and that type of thing…are people asked to provide what goes in the pot? I’ve never heard of being asked to bring raw ingredients for the main dish and wanted to know if it’s common?
Not common at all. Living on the East Coast in a heavily populated Italian area, the seven fishes for CE dinner is very common, but no one was ever asked to bring raw fish "for the pot." LOL, it's a bizarre request, IMHO. It probably sounded like fun, in theory, but.... I would keep it simple, bring the shrimp cocktail and a piece of cod. Make the eggnog cheesecake and bring it, I have a hunch people will miss it if you don't. Just say YOU love it for CE and since you're a party of one, you'd like to share, rather than eat it all at home. You've earned the right after all these years!

Not common at all. Living on the East Coast in a heavily populated Italian area, the seven fishes for CE dinner is very common, but no one was ever asked to bring raw fish "for the pot." LOL, it's a bizarre request, IMHO. It probably sounded like fun, in theory, but.... I would keep it simple, bring the shrimp cocktail and a piece of cod. Make the eggnog cheesecake and bring it, I have a hunch people will miss it if you don't. Just say YOU love it for CE and since you're a party of one, you'd like to share, rather than eat it all at home. You've earned the right after all these years!
I’m bringing cookies as asked, I doubled dough from my Holiday “sugar bomb” of cookies I mail to family so have it already, and neighbors last night invited me for prime rib on Christmas Day. I will make the eggnog cheesecake for them. So I still get some! (Christmas Eve besides my cookies there will be a cake and a small cheese pie my mil used to make). Plus, I’m considering trying my hand at cannoli. I actually found a grocer that carries the hard to find impastata ricotta, so I’m running out to get some in case I’m not too tired to make it.

Update: no cannoli for me. My car died driving to the Italian mkt and was in the shop for two days, $1800 later, I never got there.

Thank you! I just wanted to know if I was so sheltered I didn’t know this was a thing. Because to put it mildly, this sounded really odd to me.

I might’ve come up with an idea. I went to the good seafood speciality grocer and lo and behold, they had fresh Dungeness crab. Flown in daily from Oregon, as the season is not open in California due to late migrating whales. I couldn’t resist so I had them crack and wrap one up for me. Expense be damned. I also bought a pound of prawns. So my thought is, if I walk in and the cioppino looks like a disaster, I’m thinking I can add the prawns to the pot and keep the Dungeness crab for myself? Just melt some butter.

Well, somehow it all worked out and dinner was delicious, though I will say I’m not sure what others brought, but the person making the cioppino, brought mussels, clams, shrimp, and crab for the pot. Which ensured it had the basics.

This is only a small portion of the cookies I made: Italian anisette, dark chocolate orange sliced, chocolate chip, peppermint chocolate crinkle, snickerdoodle, sugar cookies with almond icing, Russian tea cakes, chocolate peanut butter surprise, and gingerbread. The highly glittering disco dust I put on the sugar cookies and ansisette doesn’t read on camera, but turned out pretty without much work!

IMG_4683.jpeg

My sil got a new kitchen and I’m in love with what her 4’ sink can do. It has many inserts for different configurations.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7260.jpeg
    IMG_7260.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7264.jpeg
    IMG_7264.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7265.jpeg
    IMG_7265.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7266.jpeg
    IMG_7266.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 72516038126__0CF8CAF9-312E-441A-AEE5-E157A029AC6C.jpeg
    72516038126__0CF8CAF9-312E-441A-AEE5-E157A029AC6C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Well, somehow it all worked out and dinner was delicious, though I will say I’m not sure what others brought, but the person making the cioppino, brought mussels, clams, shrimp, and crab for the pot. Which ensured it had the basics.

This is only a small portion of the cookies I made: Italian anisette, dark chocolate orange sliced, chocolate chip, peppermint chocolate crinkle, snickerdoodle, sugar cookies with almond icing, Russian tea cakes, chocolate peanut butter surprise, and gingerbread. The highly glittering disco dust I put on the sugar cookies and ansisette doesn’t read on camera, but turned out pretty without much work!

View attachment 2591
Maria these are just beautiful!! ALMOST to pretty to eat! I love your snowmen and reindeer decorated ones, that ability escapes me. What a wonderful assortment and presentation .

I’ll tell you a secret…I cheated on those iced cookies. I dipped them, gave them sprinkles and disco dust which made them glitter like all get out, but doesn’t show on camera, and once dry enough, I added details with edible felt pens. No mixing up colors and piping. My main reason it time, but also I deeply dislike the taste royal icing. So I just use powdered sugar and water or milk, flavored with almond extract. This mean it takes a long time to dry. Typically 2 days, before you could pipe, add the color with pens, or stack. But imho worth it for taste.

Back