I need some help. Just made a HUGE pot of sauce for spaghetti and to freeze for later. >>>

cynupstateny

Lots of meat, tomatoes seasoning. Just tasted and it's too "tomatoey". Anyone know how to tone it down without using any sugar. Also hope you know what I mean by tomatoey. If no one can help I'll just put out bigger wine glasses and hope for the best!

I would add more onions and garlic. And I've actually used some whipping cream to cut down ......

on the too tomatoey flavor....since you have a huge amount, I'd start with 1/4 cup and go from there.

Have had it happen a lot. Here is what I do

I add either some beef or chicken demi glace, some garlic powder and more herbs- oregano especially. If you have some mushroom powder that helps too. Another thing that does it is red wine.

If you mean a "bitter" tomato-y taste, I know exactly what you mean...

I use 1/2 tsp of baking soda to neutralize the acidity and add fresh basil. It will foam up and feel like you're in the middle of a mad scientist experiment for about 10 seconds. Then the foam goes away. Let it sit for an hour or so to soften the taste.

I've also floated a tablespoon of butter in hot sauce to tone it down. Don't boil it so it doesn't separate.

I'm of the opinion that tomatoes just aren't as tasty any more. This seems to happen more often than not with my sauce and I'm pretty darned tired of it.

Marilyn, have you tried Campari tomatoes? I just discovered them

a few weeks ago. They are soooooo delicious. They actually taste like TOMATOES!

Mom always gently simmered her spaghetti sauce for a couple of hours....

While she loved tomatoes, she really disliked the stong "tomato-y" flavor in a spaghetti sauce and simmering it cured that. I do miss her sauce! Mine just never tasts the same................

They're fresh/vine-ripened, BUT, I've had many vine-ripened tomatoes from the supermarket before,..

including imported ones from Holland, etc., and although they looked beautiful, they were tasteless. The Campari tomatoes taste just as good as they look. Very delicious with a nice tang, and very juicy - in other words, they taste the way tomatoes used to taste many years back when tomatoes tasted like tomatoes!
They come in a plastic container, and are medium/small (larger than cherry tomatoes), and very red, round, and plump looking.
Here's the website of the brand I buy in my local supermarket - You can get some info, plus see a photo of them. (BTW, I'm not in Boynton Beach anymore - Now I'm in Greensboro, NC).

http://www.eurofresh.com/pressroom/jun2205.shtml

I've never heard of those, and can't find any info on them via the Internet. Can you describe them?

Thanks Meryl. I'll definitely keep on the lookout for them...we've

been enjoying Ugli tomatoes when we can find them.

PS: We own an underveloped acre or so near Waynesville, NC. I may end up your neighbor again some day!

Back