I was asked to bring a Potato dish to an upcoming dinner party..on the fancy side. Any suggestions?

Rec: Scalloped Potatoes With Three Cheeses...

Not really fancy, but delicious. I like this recipe because it has a lot of flavor and not as rich as some similar recipes. Also, it can be made ahead and reheated. Another suggestion would be the mashed potato casseroles made with lots of rich ingredients.

SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH THREE CHEESES

Rick Rodgers, cookbook author and teacher, says, "I’ve always thought of mashed potatoes as an everyday way to serve potatoes, but scalloped potatoes really say special occasion to me. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter—they all call for scalloped potatoes, not something as humble as mashed. And since I’ve never been one for bland food, I kept fiddling with the amount and types of cheeses until I got this full-flavored version. If you like it with turkey, wait until you try it with the Easter ham."

3/4 cup (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
3/4 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 1/4 ounces)
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons (§ stick) butter

3 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix cheddar cheese, blue cheese and Parmesan in small bowl.

Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over. Top with remaining potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons butter. Reserve remaining cheese.

Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not cover potatoes completely). Cover baking dish tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover dish (liquids in dish may look curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Cover and rewarm in 375°F oven about 20 minutes.) Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Makes 12 servings.

Bon Appétit
November 1999
Rick Rodgers

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102498

You might want to take a look at the Russian Potato Casserole with Caramelized Onions in favorites>>

posted by Richard in Cincy. I've not made it but have read rave reviews on the old swap.

REC: Potato Dauphinois

this is from Craig Claiborn NY Times Menu Cookbook
excellent!
(also see notes below)

Potato Dauphinois a/k/a
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS

4 c very thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t grated nutmeg
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 1/4 c grated Gruyere cheese
1/4 c butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c heavy cream
2 T grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle potatoes with half of salt, half of pepper, the nutmeg and garlic. Put a layer of potatoes in a greased shallow baking dish, sprinkle with one third of the Gruyere cheese, and dot with one third of the butter. Alternate layers of potatoes, cheese and butter until all are used, ending with cheese.
Combine eggs, cream and remaining salt and pepper and pour over potatoes.
Bake, covered, for forty minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
Uncover and bake until well browned and set.

Notes:

I use a mandolin (sp?) to slice the potatoes
(not the instrument! smileys/wink.gif

One-half pound of gruyere equals about 2 cups grated
5 lbs. Of potatoes makes about 10 cups sliced

Or:
10 lbs. of potatoes equals 20 cups sliced (4 cups per baking dish)
1 ½ lbs. of gruyere
10 lbs. of potatoes fits into 5 baking dishes

made this for a dinner party of 40 people
can be made in advance and reheated

Barb, depending on how fancy you need it to be>>

I've seen this in pictures but never tried it myself: For scalloped potatoes use a cookie cutter to trim the slices into neat rounds, and overlap them like the scales of a fish.

Thought about this while running errands, how about making twice-baked potatoes>>

by cutting the baked potatoes crosswise instead of lengthwise and piping the filling in or on the tops. That looks fancy and doesn't take up as much room on the plate.

Puff Potatoes, baked on a cookie sheet after piped through a fancy tube? ' Have seen, never made.

Another twice baked potato idea....

We made twice-baked potatoes in CUL II class Thursday night but instead of following the more traditional recipe in the book, the Chef used goat cheese and fresh rosemary along with cream and butter. They were very nice and different than your normal twice baked potatoes. We used a couple of ounces of goat cheese for about 10 potatoes.

Rec: Yukon Gold Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Dauphinois

I was checking out the great link from a post above with the Canadina Food & Drink magazine by LCBO and found this good looking recipe. Might be a different option to consider.

Yukon Gold Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Dauphinois
WINTER 2005
BY JENNIFER MACKENZIE

With thin layers of golden potatoes and roasted red peppers baked with garlic-infused cream, this dish just can't be beat. When fresh red peppers are expensive, use bottled-just rinse and drain before slicing. If you're using fresh red peppers, broil 1 large pepper on a baking sheet, turning often until blackened on all sides. Let cool in a covered bowl, then remove the core and peel off the skins. Use a mandoline slicer or food processor with a slicing blade to make quick work of slicing the potatoes-they should be very thin for the best texture. Although baking this dish ahead doesn't save on time in the oven, it does save on preparation time in the kitchen just before dinner. If you don't have table cream, use 1 cup (250 mL) each whipping cream and 2% or whole milk (not nonfat).

Butter
2 cups (500 mL) table cream (18% M.F.)
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
2 lbs (1 kg) Yukon gold potatoes
½ cup (125 mL) thin strips roasted red pepper
½ cup (125 mL) finely shredded cheese (Oka, Gruyère, fontina or Parmesan), optional

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).

2. Butter an 8-cup (2-L) shallow casserole dish.

3. Combine cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring just to steaming over medium heat. Remove from heat and keep warm.

4. Peel potatoes and cut into very thin slices. Pat red pepper strips dry. Discard garlic cloves from cream mixture. Pour enough of the cream mixture into casserole dish to coat the bottom. Layer about one-third of the potato slices overlapping. Sprinkle with half the red pepper strips. Pour over about one-third of the cream mixture. Repeat layering, ending with potatoes and the remaining cream mixture. Press down potatoes with a spatula to cover in cream. Place dish on a baking sheet.

5. Bake for about 50 minutes, until potatoes are tender and top is golden. Baked dish can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Reheat, covered with foil, for about 50 minutes in 325ºF (160ºC) oven. Uncover for the last 10 minutes to crisp top. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and broil until bubbled and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6

Here is another T&T showstopper potato idea- REC Hassleback Poatoes

You could take them to the party and just quickly reheat in the oven with a touch of melted butter brushed on them and the cheese sprinkled on at that time.

HASSLEBACK POTATOES
6 servings

6 medium baking potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp shredded Swiss (or Parmesan) cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut potatoes almost through cross-wise in 1/8” thick slices. Place in ice water to prevent darkening. Drain well and put in shallow baking pan. Brush with butter (or drizzle). Bake until tender- about 1-1/2 hours, basting occasionally with cream and pan drippings. Sprinkle with cheese in last few minutes.

Thx soooo much! Potatoes are not normally on our menu, so I really appreciate the suggestions/rec

Rec: Potato, Leek, and Mushroom Gratin...how could this not be good?>>

I was perusing the Sunset site and found this, looks wonderful.

Potato, Leek, and Mushroom Gratin

Notes: Using a mandoline to slice the potatoes makes a quick job of it. You can make this gratin up to 1 day ahead; bake it covered, let it cool, then chill. The next day, let gratin stand at room temperature for about 1 hour, then bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until hot in the center, about 1 hour. If it starts to get too brown, cover loosely with foil. Prep and Cook Time: about 2 1/2 hours.

1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, stems removed, and sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 leeks (3 1/2 lb. total)
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3 3/4 pounds russet potatoes
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (12 oz.)

1. In a 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add mushrooms and stir often until almost tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until mushrooms are golden and tender to bite, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Trim and discard root ends and tough green tops from leeks. Cut stalks in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water, flipping layers to release dirt. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices; you should have about 4 cups.

3. In the frying pan (no need to wash), over medium-high heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add leeks and thyme and stir often until leeks are limp and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir into mushrooms.

4. Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and slice potatoes crosswise as thinly as possible (see notes). In a bowl, whisk together broth, cream, wine, salt, and pepper. In a buttered 9- by 13-inch baking dish (3-qt. capacity), evenly layer a third of the potatoes, half of the mushroom-leek mixture, and 1 cup cheese. Stir broth-cream mixture and pour a third evenly over the top. Repeat. Layer remaining potatoes, cheese, then cream mixture on top. Set dish in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan.

5. Bake until potatoes are tender when pierced and sauce is bubbly, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. After about 40 minutes, check browning; if top begins to get dark before potatoes are tender, cover loosely with foil. Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.

Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings

I've done the Hassleback Potatoes for years

I love these. I sometimes drizzle mine with butter, parsley and some herbs and sometimes a little breadcrumbs .

Rec: Fancy Baked Potatoes

Peel baking size potatoes. Dip in melted butter. Mix 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs with 1 tsp. paprika. Roll potatoes in crumb mixture. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350 then until tender uncovered. Beautiful baked potatoes.

Back