Iowa Applesauce Cake with choice of two frostings

sandi-in-hawaii

This is a really nice spice cake, and not too sweet, if you leave them plain. I've made these as cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, or left them unfrosted, and just sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Iowa Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1-1/2 cups applesauce

1 cup raisins (optional)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:

2 - 3 oz. packages softened cream cheese

1/2 cup softened butter

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups sifted powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, margarine or shortening for 30 seconds. Add the sugars and egg; beat until combined. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Add flour mixture alternately with applesauce to butter mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts.

Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

(Ive also made 48 mini muffins - must line mini muffin cups with cupcake papers. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 17 minutes.)

Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to make a spreadable frosting.

(This makes a lot of frosting. I usually cut the recipe in half, or just dust with powdered sugar.)

Alternative frosting recipe from Epi - this icing is very soft and runny. But I love the flavor of the maple syrup. Must refrigerate to firm - could also add more powdered sugar.

Maple Cream Cheese Icing

10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Bcream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended.

Beat in maple syrup. Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.

Back