ISO: ISO a dessert for FOUR (could be individual servings) for NYE

In Search Of:

luisa_calif

I am looking for something not too involved, not real rich or caloric. We aren't quite ready to diet yet but don't want to go over the top. Our plan is to go out to the new Indian restaurant for dinner. I will have hors' d' ouevres or snacks before dinner . Maybe as we watch a DVD while we wait for the New Year to roll in. Sorry to ramble, I am recovering from Xmas jet lag and am still in my jammies at 2 pm.

Hi Luisa, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for >>>

Do you want a pudding/custardy type dessert or a fruit type dessert or a cake type dessert, etc, etc?

Meanwhile, I thought this one sounded like it might fit - I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds delicious, and has gotten great reviews:

CHOCOLATE RUM DESSERT

This lavish dessert makes a beautiful presentation topped with whipped cream and chocolate curls and served in stemmed glasses. Similar to pudding, this dessert is richer with a delighful rum-laced flavor.

INGREDIENTS:

6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons light rum (my note: use less)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (my note: use less)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
whipped cream, for garnish
chocolate curls, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over gently boiling water.
Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; gradually stir in about one quarter of the melted chocolate.
Add the yolks and chocolate to the remaining chocolate in the double boiler, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add the rum, almond extract and nutmeg.
Beat the egg white until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
Spoon into stemmed glasses or demitasse cups and chill.
When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate curls.

4 servings

From Southern Living
Posted at Recipezaar

Meryl, I thought I had a link to recipes you had posted on line, but can't find it>>

if you don't mind sharing, would you please post it again?

Curious, I dismantled the site a few months ago, but if there are any recipes>>>

you saw there that you want, let me know. I have a lot of them saved to file.

Rec: Meyer-Lemon Pudding Cake

These yield more than four servings but they store really well in the refrigerator for several days. Sometimes I share extras with the neighbors who provide me with the meyer lemons. :eek:)

Just made these for a dinner party and garnished with chantilly cream and fresh raspberries in lieu of the oranges. Very yummy.

Meyer-Lemon Pudding Cake
York Street, Dallas
This fabulous dessert uses Meyer lemons and blood oranges, but regular lemons and oranges may be substituted.
http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2002-02-01/recipe.php

Cake:
3 egg whites
1/4 cup and 2/3 cup sugar, in separate batches
1/4 cup flour
7 tbsp fresh Meyer-lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tbsp grated zest of a Meyer lemon, chopped if the pieces are too long
3 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups buttermilk

Note: Meyer lemons are sweeter and softer than regular lemons. You will need a total of 3 Meyer lemons (medium size or larger) for the cake recipe and the garnish; one will be used mainly for zest.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In a small bowl mix together 2/3 cup sugar and the flour and set aside. In another bowl mix together the lemon juice, melted butter, and lemon zest. Add this to the flour mixture and stir well. In yet another bowl combine the egg yolks and the buttermilk. Add to the lemon mixture and stir well. If you are using regular lemons, taste to be sure the mixture is sweet enough. Using a rubber spatula, fold the beaten egg whites into the lemon—egg yolk mixture.

Butter and sugar 6 soufflé cups or ramekins and fill 3/4 full. Bake in a water bath until top feels slightly firm, about 40 minutes. Do not brown. The individual cakes will consist of 2 distinct layers, cake and pudding. If you prefer a more cakelike texture throughout, bake longer and let them brown a bit. Remove from the oven and immediately take the ramekins out of the water bath. Let cool to room temperature and then chill for 2 hours to overnight. The pudding cakes can be served in the ramekins with the cake on top, or inverted onto plates so that the pudding layer is on top.

Garnish:
1/2 cup whipping cream (or heavy cream)
juice of 1/2 regular orange
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
zest of 1 Meyer lemon
2 blood oranges, peeled and cut into clean segments (a pint of any type of fresh berries may be substituted) Note: Blood oranges have bright red interiors and are sweet-tart.

Whip cream and a teaspoon of the sugar together and set aside. Put the orange juice, the remaining sugar, and the lemon zest in a bowl and stir to mix. Add blood-orange segments.

To serve, garnish the chilled cakes with a dollop of whipped cream and arrange the sweetened orange segments around them. Serves 6.

Pat's notes: These pudding cakes are yummy. Sometimes I leave them in the oven a bit longer to become more cake-like. Don’t have the recommended souffle dishes so I use 4 oz. ramekins which yield 10-12 pudding cakes.

Both these sound good. I will have to go get the Meyers from

my MIL. If I tell my friend she will say make both, so maybe I SHOULDN'T ask her! BTW she can't eat nuts and loves both choc & lemons. Now I have a new problem, to make up my mind!

Luisa, the recipe I posted uses almond extract, so you'll probably need to use vanilla instead.

And these Frozen Orange Cups which CathyZ shared a while back are even easier....

FROZEN ORANGE CUPS (serves 4)
Very easy, and always beautiful! I serve them with
delicate mint cookies on the side.

4 oranges
1 pint Haagen-Daz Vanilla Ice Cream with
Orange Sherbet
sugar
fresh mint sprigs

Slice 1/4” off the top of each orange and put
aside. Scoop out pulp and save for other use.
Wet outside of orange shell and roll in sugar to
coat. Put on plate. Do orange tops as well.
Scoop sherbet/ice cream into shells and freeze.
Serve on a plate, garnished with fresh mint. Prop
the orange top against the shell.

Note: I usually freeze the sugared shells long
before dinner and scoop the sherbet/ ice cream in
just before serving or just before I serve dinner.

Or to satisfy the chocoholics what about this Chocolate Fondue...so easy and the diet doesn't....

have to start until the new year. ;o)

Chocolate Fondue

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup half and half cream
1 12-oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate morsels, like Nestle’s Tollhouse
2 tbsp brandy, Kahlua, or Cointreau (optional)

In saucepan, combine whipping cream, half and half and chocolate, heat over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, stir in liqueur. Pour into fondue pot to keep warm. (I have a small electric fondue pot and just make the fondue right in the pot instead of a saucepan.)
Serves 8 (approximately)

To serve, spear any of the following onto fondue forks then twirl in chocolate mixture:
apple wedges
banana chunks
melon balls
pineapple chunks
orange or mandarin segments
fresh strawberries
fresh peach wedges
grapes
cherries
or any fruit in season
angel food cake chunks

OOPS! Baked Fudge is simple yet satisfying dessert over ice cream...

Like a hot gooey brownie underneath your favorite ice cream. I particularly like it with a coffee or caramel ice cream. Quick and easy to make and I've never served it to anyone who didn't moan and groan over it! ha

It's been several years since I made it so if you want the recipe let me know and I'll dig it out.

Served in a nice goblet with a dollop of whipped cream it makes a nice festive presentation.

Happy 2006!!!

How about Molten chocolate cake.

How about individual chocolate Molten cakes,can be made ahead then baked at the last minute.

Okay, I see now. Not a nut allergy but nuts irritate her intestines

and cause problems. Once she had to go to the ER she was in such pain. Thanks for your thoughtful awareness.

Back