ISO: ISO a good thick corn chowder recipe, no fancy additions.

In Search Of:
Maria, try that Vitamix trick of buzzing frozen creamed corn. If you stir that into

...whatever, it will add a lovely creamy texture. And you won't be diluting the "corn" flavor at all...in fact, you'll be adding to it.

I just made up another batch using two tubes of corn (one creamed cream, one regular corn = 40 oz), sautéed it in butter and served with eggplant sauce to use up neighbor's Japanese eggplants. They raved about it.

https://www.birdseye.com/product/mckenzies-golden-creamed-southern-style-corn-20-oz-chub/

I have never seen corn in a tube like that. It this a southern thing?

I am never in the frozen vegetable section, so may not have noticed.

It's frozen. I find it very starchy.

If you can get good fresh corn on the cob use that for sure. Cut the corn off about half way down the kernel row and then scrape the cob to get the "milk". AND if you want to really add something, boil the cobs to get some broth to add. It is delicious.

I have one with additions that are not fancy; Corn and Potato Chowder

Been making this for many years- hearty, delicious, not fussy:

CORN AND POTATO CHOWDER
Makes 7-8 cups

½ lb bacon cut into 1/2” pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 cup celery, sliced thin
1 bay leaf
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups half/half or cream
2 cups creamed corn
1 cup shredded cheddar or American cheese
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
sour cream (just for serving)

Cook bacon until crisp and transfer to paper towels. In the bacon drippings, cook the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add potato and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Add the corn, milk and cream. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Take about 2 cups of veggies and soup and puree it in a blender or food processor. Return it to the soup pot. Add the cheese and cayenne. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top and sprinkle with bacon.

REC: Martha Cook Corn Chowder

Favorite for 45 years! Colleen

Martha Cook Corn Chowder
2-6 oz bacon, sliced into 1/4" strips
2 sm/med onions, chopped (some fine and some chunks)
8 Tbs flour
4 cups warm chicken/turkey/veggie stock
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
4 cups diced potatoes (OR 1 bag frozen hash brown cubes, OR already cooked potato cubed)
1/4 tsp ground black or white pepper
4Tbs (or 1T) butter
2 1/2 lbs corn - fresh or frozen (@ 2 cups/pound - 1 cob~1 cup)
4 cups milk (whole, 2%, or fat free half and half)
couple of shakes of Penzy's Red and Black pepper blend
chicken bouillon, as needed for salt

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon bits to towel lined dish. Saute onions in bacon fat. Add flour and saute until lightly browned. Add broth, celery, raw/frozen potatoes, crisp bacon, pepper and butter. Cook until vegetables are tender, around 10 minutes. Add corn, milk (and cooked potatoes, if using) and simmer until proper consistency, around 10 minutes. Sprinkle Red and Black or cayenne. Taste and adjust salt (can adjust by adding chicken bouillon). Colleen

https://finerkitchens.com/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=251910

Julia Child's version in "Way to Cook"

it is so delicious and it is also thick/hearty because she used New England Common Crackers (we don't have those here so I sub our local "Oyster Crackers"--but any basic cracker would do.

I also add a few more than the recipe calls for to make it nice and thick.

I usually serve this for Thanksgiving, several hours before dinner, when people are gathering and ready to eat the pictures off the walls they're so hungry and then have to smell food cooking. Keeps nice in a crockpot or some such and you can keep it hot to offer a cup to people as they arrive.

https://recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2007/MAY/44013.html

Have been making it recently using wedge shaped sliced potatoes

allowing the pointed edges to melt into the soup while still leaving a substantial chunk of potato for the soup. Wish I could find the link to where I read about this method smileys/frown.gif Colleen

Back