ISO: ISO: a 'savory' bread recipe for mini bread pans .....more

In Search Of:

peggy-az

Enthusiast Member
or is there something else I can bake in these cute little pans?

Could I cut and serve them at a dinner party?

many thanks,

Peggy

Sage bread and some other ideas >>>

Cornbread or any muffin-type quick bread, such as banana nut. Brioche dough would rise really high and be perfect for a dinner party. Here's a favorite savory focaccia recipe which I'm sure could be baked in small pans:

SAGE FOCACCIA

From Moosewood Collective. (Original recipe calls for rosemary, which is also good.)

Add:

3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

to:

2/3 cup boiling water in a measuring cup

Let steep a few minutes. Add:

Ice cubes and/or cold water

to make a little more than 1 cup, and to bring the mixture to tepid. Add:

1 packet (2 tsp). dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar

Let stand until foamy. Place in a processor:

1¼ cup whole wheat flour
1¼ cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp. salt

With machine running, add yeast mixture until soft dough is formed. Process in:

1 tablespoon olive oil

Let the dough sit a few minutes, them process for 30 seconds. Turn out onto floured surface and knead 50 strokes by hand. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat, and cover with plastic wrap.

(To make dough by hand, steep the sage in 1 cup boiling water in a large bowl. When cool enough, add sugar and yeast. When foamy, stir in remaining dough ingredients and knead by hand until smooth and elastic)

Let dough rise until 2-3 times its original size, about 1-1/2 hours.

Turn out onto floured surface and roll or stretch, like a pizza, into a round about 12". Transfer to oiled baking sheet or pizza pan. Cover with plastic and let rise until puffed up, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375° F.

Brush with:

2 tablespoons olive oil

With two fingers, poke depressions all over the surface. Arrange on top:

3-4 Sage sprigs

Sprinkle with:

1 tsp. coarse sea salt

Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
Serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I like sweet things, but I imagine savory would be good too. Rec: Cranberry-Pecan Quick Bread

Sure, they'd be cute sliced and topped with cream cheese roses or something similar.

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg, beaten, or equivalent of egg substitute
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 tsp grated lemon rind, optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.

In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (except for fruit and nuts) and stir until thoroughly mixed.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add wet mixture; stir together vigorously until thoroughly combined.

Stir in the cranberries, dates, and pecans and pour the mixture into a few 3x5-inch mini loaf pans.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until done. Cool on a rack, then cover tightly with foil to store or share. Mini-loaves tend to dry out quicker than large ones because of the larger surface area I am thinking?

Finely chopped dry pepperoni sticks and thyme with a bit of rye flour. Good savoury addition or sub.

Back