ISO: ISO a side dish to serve with Thai food....

In Search Of:

foodmuse

hey Guys

I'm having my husbands workmates over for dinner and making my Thai Chicken red curry with cilantro, kaffir lime leaves and galangal(like fresh ginger but different) and need sides.

I'll make some basmati rice but need something to round things out. Maybe a cooling salad. What do you think?

There's always store bought something or other at the local thai or even Indian(I'm fine with mixing cuisines) shop.

Muse

How about some summer rolls?

Rice paper wrappers, filled with shredded lettuce, red pepper, scallion, snow peas....
with a chili or peanut dipping sauce?
Sorry I can't give you specifics, but I just wing it.
Another idea might be a green papaya salad. I know you can find recipes doing a google search.

I have a recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad >>>

It's not a T&T, but it received great reviews. Another idea would be a Thai-Style Noodle Salad With a Peanut Lime Vinaigrette, but it wouldn't work well if you're serving rice. Let me know if you want either one of these recipes.

Appetizer recipe: Coconut Chips

This is a different and delicious nibble to serve with drinks before dinner. They can be made ahead.

Coconut Chips

1 fresh coconut
salt

1. Preheat oven to 325.
First drain the coconut juice, either by piercing one of the coconut eyes with a sharp instrument, or by breaking it carefully
2. Lay the coconut on a board and hit the center sharply with a hammer. The shell should break cleanly in two.
3. Use a broad-bladed knife to ease the flesh away from the hard outer shell.
Taste a piece of the flesh just to make sure it is fresh .
Peel away the brown skin with a vegetable peeler, if you like.
4. Slice the flesh into wafer-thin shavings, using a food processor, mandoline or sharp knife.
Sprinkle these evenly all over one or two baking sheets and sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, turning them from time to time.
Cool and serve.
Any leftovers can be stored in airtight containers.

Cook's tip:
This is the kind of recipe where the slicing blade on a food processor comes into its own.
It is worth preparing two or three coconuts at a time, and freezing surplus chips.
The chips can be cooked from frozen, but will need to be spread out well on the baking sheets, before being salted.
Allow a little longer for frozen chips to cook.

RECIPE: Tai Spring Rolls

Thai Spring Rolls

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).

1 pound pork tenderloin (500 g)

GARLIC MARINADE:

3 tablespoons fish sauce (50 mL)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons honey (25 mL)

`````````````````````````````````````````

1 pkg (5 ounces/150 g) thin rice noodles, softened in water and then drained
2 large carrots
1/2 cup fresh mint, shredded (125 mL)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, shredded (125 mL)
24 rice paper wrappers
1 small head boston lettuce

Place pork on foil-lined baking sheet; brush on garlic marinade. Roast in oven for about 25 minutes or until pork is slightly pink inside. Let cool; cut into thin 1 1/2–inch long slices.
In large bowl, toss together pork, rice noodles, carrots, mint and cilantro.

Fill wide shallow pan with hot water and spread dish towel out on work surface. Dip rice wrapper into water for about 3 seconds, until softened, and place it in front of you on towel.

Place lettuce leaf on lower third of rice wrapper. Arrange 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the noodle mixture on lettuce. Fold bottom edge over the filling, tucking in sides; roll up into a tight cylinder. Place roll on platter and cover with a damp towel to prevent from drying out. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Yield: about 24 rolls

Canadian Living

Rec: Silky Pumpkin Soup

This is from an award-winning cookbook called "Hot, Sour, Sweet, Salty". The soup is authentic and very good.

Silky Coconut Pumpkin Soup

3 to 4 shallots, unpeeled
1 1/2 pounds pumpkin, untrimmed, or butternut squash, or 1 1/4 pounds peeled pumpkin
2 c. canned or fresh coconut milk
2 c. mild pork or chicken broth
1 c. loosely packed coriander leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. Thai fish sauce, or to taste
Generous grindings of black pepper
1/4 c. minced scallion greens (optional)

In a heavy skillet. or on charcoal or gas grill, dry-roast or grill the shallots, turning occasionally until softened and blackened.
Peel, cut the shallots lengthwise in half and set aside.
Peel the pumpkin and clean off any seeds. Cut into small 1/2" cubes. You should have 4 1/2 to 5 cups cubed pumpkin.
Place the coconut milk, broth, pumpkin cubes, shallots, and coriander leaves in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the salt and simmer over medium heat until the pumpkin is tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the fish sauce and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Taste for salt and add a little more fish sauce if you wish.
(The soup can be served immediately, but has even more flavor if left to stand for up to an hour. Reheat just before serving.)
Serve from a large soup bowl or in individual bowls. Grind black pepper over generously, and if you wish, garnish with a sprinkling of minced scallion greens.
Leftovers freeze very well.
Serves 4 to 6 as part of a meal.

Rec: Shan Salad with Cellophane Noodles and Ginger

From the same cook book, "Hot, Sour, Sweet, Salty", this is also very good. It, too, can be made ahead.

Shan Salad with Cellophane Noodles and Ginger

Salad:
2 c. julienned nappa cabbage (see note)
3 bundles (about 3 ounces) dried cellophane noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes and drained
1 c. coarsely chopped coriander

Dressing and Flavor Paste:
3 tbs. vegetable or peanut oil
1/4 c. chopped garlic
2 to 3 Thai dried red chiles, or 1 tsp. dried red chile flakes, or less for less heat
2 tbs. minced ginger, about 2 inches
2 tsp. dried shrimp
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. water
3 tbs. rice vinegar
1 tbs. white wine vinegar or fresh lime juice

Place the cabbage in a large bowl of cold water and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cellophane noodles and cook until softened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a sieve or colander. Coarsley chop.
Drain the cabbage and place in a bowl, add the noodles, and toss with your hands to mix well.
In a small heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
If using whole dried chles, break into small pieces and stir into oil. Or, stir in the chile flakes.
Continue cooking and stiring for 1 minute, then transfer the garlic, chiles and oil to a medium bowl.
Place the ginger in a mortar and pound to a paste, then add the shrimp and salt and pound to a paste.
Alternatively, mince the ginger and shrimp very fine, place in a bowl with salt and use the back of a large spoon to mash and blend together.
Stir the water into the ginger-shrimp mixture, then add to the reserved garlic and chile oil.
Stir in the vinegars. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
Add the coriander and toss well.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Serves 4 to 6 as part of meal.

Note: To prepare the cabbage, cut a napa cabbage crosswise in half. You will be using the bottom half. Reserve the remaining cabbage for another purpose.
Cut out and discard the very tough core, then cut the cabbage into julienne strips about 2" long.

Love Green Papaya Salad, though I'm not sure I can....

Love Green Papaya Salad, though I'm not sure I can get to a market that has green papaya in time. I'm in NY(recently located) and am still learning where to find what ingredient. Suddenly, without a car going out to buy one thing can take an afternoon. Ilove the subway but it reallly curbs my impulse to just run down to the local asian/mexican/thai town market I had in Los Angeles.

I love the spring roll idea!!
Thank you.

yes, yes, I would love your recipe for the Cucumber salad!

I'm doing low carb so that would be perfect. I'll serve a rice for everyone else.
Thank you.

Muse

I wonder if I could do a variation on this with shredded....

KC

I wonder if I could do a variation on this with shredded unsweetened coconut. Toast the shreds with a little salt and maybe some lime juice sprinkles for something different mixed with nuts.

Your recipe sounds fantastic but I'm feeling a little stressed about the dinner because the husband and I are planning on staying in on New Years Eve and I'm planning a night of appetizers which all require time to prepare so this dinner is a slightly lower priority.

I am absolutly saving your recipe for when I'm feeling ready for a fun appetizer.
Thank you so much.

Muse

Here's the recipe, plus another one I found in my files,, >>>

called "Cucumber Asian Salad." It also had great reviews.

THAI CUCUMBER SALAD

"This is a spicy, refreshing salad that's perfect served on a hot summer evening with garden-fresh veggies. It's easiest to use a mandoline to slice the veggies, but a sharp knife and patience will do quite well, also!"

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2-1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
salt and pepper
1 seedless cucumber
1 small red bell pepper
1 medium carrot
1/2 small red onion
1-2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped

Whisk the first 7 ingredients (lime juice through jalapeno) in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper.
Trim the ends from the cucumber.
Split lengthwise in half.
Slice very thinly.
Toss into the dressing.
Halve the red pepper vertically, core and remove seeds and white membranes.
Slice the pepper, horizontally, into very thin strips.
Add to the dressing and toss.
Peel the carrot and trim off ends.
Slice diagonally into very thin slices.
Add to the rest of the salad.
Peel the onion and cut in half horizontally.
Then slice vertically into very thin strips.
Add these to the bowl and toss everything together until well mixed.
Set aside for at least one hour, stirring occasionally (this can be marinated for up to 8 hours, but refrigerate if marinating for longer than 2 hours).
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Sprinkle cilantro (if used) and peanuts over top.

4 servings

posted by VictoriaL - Recipezaar
http://www.recipezaar.com/93536

CUCUMBER ASIAN SALAD

Salad:
1 japanese cucumber or hothouse cucumber or English cucumber, peeled and sliced (if not available, use 2 regular cucumbers)
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper
hot sauce

Garnish :
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

DIRECTIONS:
Toss all salad ingredients and top with seeds.

4 servings

Recipezaar

Rec: Mango Salad with Cashews (with var)

This is my favorite Thai side and the great thing about this salad is that, if you don't mind going off the traditional, you can substitute more easily found ingredients and still get a great result. For the green mango, you can sub: slightly underripe mango, papaya, cucumber, or even tart green apple. I've sub'd the shallots with finely minced onion (rinsed) and sub'd the cashews with macadamias. I still like the traditional recipe best but the subs make it easier to make this on a moment's notice with whatever's in the pantry.

1 small green mango, peeled and grated or finely chopped
3 small fresh red or green chilies, finely chopped
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons whole roasted cashews

If using jarred green mango, briefly soak the grated or chopped mango in cold water to remove any syrup. Drain and put in a large bowl along with all the other ingredients. Stir well and serve.

Alternate recipe, Roasted Coconut Cashew Nuts

The coconut chips are better as larger chips. They turn golden and are delicious. I suggested them because they are unusual. Here is a recipe from the same Thai cookbook for something very similar to what you're describing. These are served in paper or cellophane cones which keeps hands clean and can be thrown away. Newspaper is fine. You could probably also put them in a bowl, but individual cones are fun for people to carry around.

Roasted Coconut Cashew Nuts

1 tbs. peanut oil
2 tbs. honey
9 oz./ 2 c. cashew nuts
4 oz./ 1 1/2 c. dry unsweetened shredded coconut
2 small fresh red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
salt and ground pepper

Variations:
Almonds also work well, or choose peanuts for a more economical snack

Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and then stir in the honey.
After a few seconds, add the nuts and coconut and stir-fry until both are golden brown.
Add the chiles, with salt and pepper to taste. Toss until all the ingredients are well mixed.
Serve warm or cooled in paper cones or saucers.

Wow! this sounds awsome...

Wow! this sounds awsome. I think I'll make these as a appetizer. Thank you so much.

Muse

I have a good mango and jicama salad I like to serve. Can sub. papaya for the mango too,

if that floats your boat. I personally don't care for papaya so I never use it. It has an olive oil and lime juice vinaigrette. If you're interested I can dig it out of my files.

Here is my most favorite Thai cucumber salad recipe:

Spicy Cucumber Salad:

Dressing:
2/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 - 4 serrano chiles, minced

In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Simmer over medium heat, stirring, just until the sugar dissolves. Add the chiles. Pour dressing into a medium bowl and let cool.

Cucumber Salad:
4 English cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (I don't peel them)
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
4 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
2/3 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)

Add cucumabers to the dressing and toss. Stir in cilantro and basil. Mound in a serving platter, sprinkle with peanuts, serve.

Make the dressing ahead, but don't assemble the salad until just before serving, or it will get mushy.

Back