ISO: ISO a T&T Madeliene recipe - thanks!

In Search Of:
Love these Lemon Madeleine’s and make them often...

Pat/No CA turned me on to these and I use the lemons off my Meyer's tree to whip up batches of them.

Lemon Madeleine’s

4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups melted butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-1/3 cups sifted flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Beat yolks at high speed with the sugar, melted butter and lemon juice. When mixture is smooth and thick, reduce speed on mixer and blend in the flour, continuing to beat between additions. Then, still beating, add the egg whites, one at a time. (They are not beaten before they are added.) When batter is smooth, drop by the spoonfuls into prepared Madeleine pans. Bake about 20-25 min. Cool slightly, and then remove from pan to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.

Variations: Can add the zest of one lemon, and/or finely chopped crystallized ginger.

Source: cherie/socal @ Gail’s from great aunt Jane’s cook and garden book" by Jane Birchfield

Pat's notes: These are very yummy. I added lemon zest to the batter, made 12 Madeleine’s, divided the remaining batter in half adding finely chopped crystallized ginger to one and poppy seeds to the other. Tasty.

Maria’s Notes: In my dark nonstick pan these take about 17 minutes. I also add the zest.

Perfect - this looks like it has enough eggs to get the tecture I like, plus my tree is loaded with

Meyers. And crystallized ginger - MMMMM. Leave it to Pat..... smileys/wink.gif

Would you be interested in savory too? Rec: Corn Madeleines

Corn Madeleines

6 tbsp melted butter
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
1 bunch scallions, minced
1 cup fresh corn (Pat’s note: I sometimes use canned or frozen corn)
1 tbsp fresh cilantro (alternatives: thyme or rosemary)
2 dashes Tabasco, optional
1 tbsp butter, melted for pans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush madeleine pan with the 1 T. melted butter. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Combine all wet ingredients. Add to the dry. Saute the vegetables (Pat’s note: sometimes I don’t saute) and add to the batter. Fill shells almost full. Place pan on a cookie sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet and continue baking until bottoms are golden brown, another 3-5 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately and place on a rack to cool. Repeat process with last half of batter. Yield: 2 dozen. Serve these with soups or chowders in place of the usual crackers.

Pat’s notes: another variation, add chopped canned green chilis and a little sharp cheddar. These madeleines are best served warm from the oven so they retain their crispness.

Source: Janet @ Gails

Rec: Pumpkin Madeleines

Pumpkin Madeleines

2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened pumpkin pulp (canned pumpkin is fine)
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (recipe below)
dash of salt

In the medium bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar at high speed for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Beat the 1 cup flour into the egg mixture at low speed. Gradually beat in the 6 tbsp butter. Increase the speed to medium and beat in the pumpkin pulp, lemon juice, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until well blended. Cover and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F).
Spoon the batter into the prepared madeleine molds, using about 1-1/2 tbsp for each cookie. Do not spread the batter in the molds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown (I start checking at about 13 minutes). Remove the madeleines from the molds at once and cool on a rack. They are best eaten within a few hours of baking. Or wrap airtight and freeze for up to 8 weeks.

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Combine:
4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cloves

Makes 3 tbsp

Pat's notes: Once I used a ready-made pumpkin pie spice but it wasn’t nearly as good. The pumpkin pie spice recipe above tastes much better in these madeleines. After the madeleines cool I like to dust them with powdered sugar.

Posted by Ann @ Gails

Rec: Chocolate Chip Shells

Chocolate Chip Shells

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups (about 8 oz.) Nestlé Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp orange liqueur (such as Cointreau) or 1 tsp orange extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp (about 1 orange) grated orange peel
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted (we recommend Land O Lakes Butter)
Sifted powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350̊ F. Generously grease and flour madeleine baking pan(s).

Combine flour and 1 cup morsels in medium bowl. Beat eggs, granulated sugar, orange liqueur, vanilla extract and orange peel in large mixer bowl until light in color. Fold flour mixture and butter alternately into egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter by heaping tablespoon into each prepared mold.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan(s) for 1 minute. With tip of knife, release onto wire racks to cool completely. Wash, grease and flour pan(s). Repeat with remaining batter.

Sprinkle madeleines very lightly with powdered sugar. Microwave remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds; knead bag to mix. Microwave at additional 10-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut a small hole in corner of bag; squeeze to drizzle over madeleines. Allow chocolate to cool and set before serving.

Source: Toll House Baking contest, year 2000 grand prize winner
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32061

Pat’s notes: These passed the scrumptious test. Once I didn't have an orange to make the zest with so I simply left it out. Didn't have Cointreau either so I used the 1 tsp orange extract and it worked well. Will definitely be making more of these. I'll bet they'd be nice with the mini chocolate chips too.

Back