ISO: ISO Any ideas for upcoming baby shower for someone who must watch cholesterol? more...

In Search Of:

dawnnys

So obviously things like my stand-by deviled eggs, buttery spreads, and cheese puffs won't do. Any lowfat (well, low cholesterol, anyway) good appetizers, main dishes, etc. so we'll have more than your basic fruit salad or raw vegetables?

Thanks! I have plenty of time to prepare (March).

REC: Lemon-Marinated Veggies

This had excellent reviews. I STILL haven't had a chance to try it. Just too many recipes on my list. (so what else is new???? LOL)

LEMON-MARINATED VEGGIES

Source of Recipe-BHG

"You can suit the vegetable selection to the season. For spring, include sugar snap peas and asparagus spears."

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup olive oil or cooking oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed
12 ounces baby carrots with tops, peeled and trimmed
2 medium red and/or yellow sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, stems removed
1 cup cherry tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:
1. For vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine oil, lemon juice, basil, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan cook green beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, covered, for 8 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Combine beans, carrots, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a bag set in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over vegetables.
3. Seal bag and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. To serve, bring to room temperature. Drain vegetables; arrange on a platter.

Makes 8 to 10 appetizer servings.

Nutritional facts per serving :
calories: 78 , total fat: 5g , saturated fat: 1g , cholesterol: 0mg , sodium: 53mg , carbohydrate: 9g , fiber: 3g , protein: 2g , vitamin A: 0% , vitamin C: 88% , calcium: 3% , iron: 5%

REC: Tike Treats

This is very delicious and different.

TIKE TREAT

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used toasted pecans)
1/4 cup coconut
4 bananas
1 cup lemon or orange juice (I used fresh orange juice)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place pecans and coconut in a small paper bag.
2. Peel bananas and cut into 5 slices.
3. Roll banana slices in the juice.
4. Put banana slices in the bag and shake.
5. Put banana slices on a tray.
6. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve.

4 servings

Source of Recipe: "First Capital Favorites of York, PA"

REC: Bruschetta

I love bruschetta! (the plural is actually "Bruschette").

BRUSCHETTA

INGREDIENTS:

1 French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick circles
8 plum tomatoes, diced
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 red onion, minced (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
3 Tbsp or so extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Combine olive oil, tomato, basil, and red onion in a small mixing bowl; stir well. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
3. Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Place in oven, and bake until well toasted on both sides, approximately 5 minutes total baking time. Note: bread should be browned on the edges, and lighter in the middle.
*Alternative: Broil until lightly browned on both sides. Watch it carefully! - It can brown in seconds, around 50 seconds or less per side.
4. Remove bread from oven, and transfer to a large serving platter. Rub cut side of garlic into the top of each slice of toast; the toast should glisten with the garlic. Spoon the tomato mixture generously onto each slice, and serve.

makes 6 to 8 servings.

Two REC: Black Bean Dip & White Bean And Artichoke Dip

These two I haven't tried yet, but both got great reviews:

BLACK BEAN DIP

One reviewer simmered everything in a little olive oil and served it warm. Can use for nachos.
Goes great with tortilla chips or vegetable sticks...

2 cups cooked drained black beans
4 teaspoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
2 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons mild green chilies, chopped

Process all ingredients except green onions and chilies in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Stir in green onions and chilies and place in a serving bowl.

2 cups

posted by Sue L

WHITE BEAN AND ARTICHOKE DIP

Yield--about 2 cups, serves 6-8 as an appetizer

1 can (15 1/2 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 1/2 oz) artichoke hearts (not marinated) drained and rinsed
1 small clove garlic, chopped
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 T freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 t chopped fresh rosemary
2 T olive oil

Blend the beans, artichoke hearts, garlic and lemon juice to a smooth paste in a food processor. With the machine running, add the oil. If needed, add 1 to 2 T water to get a smooth consistency. Blend in the cheese and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl, sprinkle with 2 generous pinches cayenne and drizzle with oil. Serve with pita chips.

From Fine Cooking Magazine

Roasted red peppers with the bruschetta bread or a nice eggplant caponata would be good. (m)

I have some recipes for Chinese chicken salad or Szechuan noodles that would be lo cholesterol and chicken satay with peanut sauce would be a good choice too. Spinach stuffed mushrooms in Favorite Recipes could be lo chol. and there are some other goodies there that could be tweaked. How about a nice trifle made with lo-fat pudding?

Oh yeah, I agree - Roasted peppers are great on bruschetta. My favorite bruschetta recipe is

with roasted red and yellow peppers, fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, then topped with soft goat cheese. (First I rub the bread with garlic of course)!
I was going to add the Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms to the list, (I love those, )but they may be a little too fattening with the 2 Tbsp butter and the Parmigiano Reggiano - although, there's really not too much of either, considering it makes 24 mushrooms. Have you tried them yet?

REC: Wacky Cake (vegan--no cholesterol)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (canola is best)
1 cup cold water or brewed coffee (decaf)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar into an ungreased 8-inch square pan or 9-inch round pan. In a two-cup measuring cup, mix oil, water or coffee, and vanilla. Pour liquid mixture into baking pan and mix with a small whisk. When batter is smooth, add vinegar, and stir in quickly just until vinegar is evenly distributed. Bake 25-30 minutes.

Notes: The cake has a nice chocolate flavor, but a somewhat coarse texture. I like it with whipped cream. For low-cholesterol consumption, serve dusted with powdered sugar, or with raspberry sauce.

I suggest canola oil and decaf because these are good for high-cholesterol patients.

Another roasted pepper idea: "Melted Red Peppers"

from the classic "Under the Tuscan Sun" by Frances Maye

Slice up about four ripe red bell peppers. Combine them in a covered skillet with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and about 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Simmer for about an hour, covered, adding more vinegar and/or oil if needed. They should reduce down to a delicious red-brown sludge.

Toast baguette slices under the broiler or on the grill. Rub with a split clove of garlic. Top with peppers.

(If grilling bread at the last moment isn't practical, I serve this as a dip for toast or crackers, first dicing the peppers rather than slicing them so they'll be more spreadable. In the end, sliced or diced, they make the perfect addition to a grilled cheese sandwich.)

And another bruschetta idea

If you live near a Costco and Whole Foods, you can buy incredibly delicious bruschetta (Kirkland brand I think) at Costco and at Whole Foods a bag of toasted baguette slices. I use the leftover bruschetta to make a great sauce for pasta (puree in processor first). I renewed our membership at Costco just so I can get that brand of bruschetta (it's that good). Ann

Thanks everyone - Meryl, I wonder why these were called "Tike Treats", but...

they look good, as do all of the other recipes above. Gourmet veggies - knew I could find them here if I posted! Thanks again.

Dawn, I've always wondered about the "Tike Treat" title also, since it's for both adults and kids.

Anyway, it's really good!

Back