ISO: ISO CathyZ from Kauai for post 451 Flan, yes I found the evaporated milk so should I just replace

In Search Of:

carroll-astana

Should I just replace the whipping cream with evaporated milk? Also there are 2 kinds of whipping cream"

the pouring type that I am used to but it is not always available

and

the more solid type that the local sold in a big pan in the bazaar. They told me it is whipping cream russian style so am debating as to which one I should use.

Thanks.

Carroll

Carroll, you can replace the whipping cream with the evaporated milk and

the type of whipping cream you would use is the pouring type- a heavy cream but still liquid.

The flavor will be different with evaporated milk instead of cream but it will still taste great. Good luck!

thinking further about this- is the Russian cream sweet cream?

When I think of Russian cream I think of sour cream for some reason- I don't know that much about Russian cooking so I am probably wrong. Is the cream whipped or just really thick like English clotted cream? What is in it besides (I assume) cow cream taken from the top of milk?

If it is just very thick unsweetened or non-soured cream and not whipped, I would try to use half evap milk and half Russian-style cream, mix it up well and see how it performs in the flan.

Any other ideas from other cooks?

Back