ISO: ISO: Cookie-by-Design type cookie and frosting

In Search Of:

deb-in-mi

I would love to make bouquets of hearts for friends for Valentine's Day. I have no clue as to what type of recipe to use.

Thanks very much,

Debra

I've always wondered how good those taste....

but I've sent them many times for work related gifts. Most are Sugar cookie based tho I expect you could used a a gingerbread or the like too. I would think a fairly sturdy sugar cookie recipe would do the trick and also make them a few days ahead so they harden up well.

What I was thinking of trying this year, if my pan comes in the mail in time, was to make a chocolate box (I got a heart shaped silicon cake pan to do this so I could pop it out easy) then I'm going to fill it with heart shaped cookies and chocolates.

Ok, since no one else has the answer, I'll also add that I assume they are using Royal Icing.

Hi Deb - Marilyn in FL referred me to these, with much success: REC: Penny's Cookies

I've done both the regular and chocolate versions of this cookie - both outstanding!

From Gail's:
Ann: Rec: Penny's Cookies
Posted: May 25, 2003 10:39 AM

Dana from the sugarcraft board shared this butter-sugar cookie recipe. I tried it yesterday and the cookies are sturdy and delicious. I would pay for these. I was lazy so I rolled them into balls and flattened with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Even better would be to use the Sugar Baby frosting recipe below.

Penny McConnell who has a wholesale cookie business and sells decorated cookies to Starbucks. I took a class with her recently and this is the recipe she gave out. She said it is the same recipe they use. I have made the cookies and they are great. Very little spread, if any. You can roll them very thin if you like crunchy cookies or make them a bit thicker. She recommends baking on parchment paper. I use a silpat and it works great. Be sure to add ALL the flavoring specified. It is a lot, but makes all the difference in the world.

Pennys Cookies
1 C salted butter (if you use unsalted, add 1 tsp salt)
1 C granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbsp whipping cream (can use half and half)
2 Tablespoon pure vanilla
1 tsp pure almond extract
3 C unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixer combine butter and sugar. Beat only until combined and no lumps of butter remain. DON'T cream until fluffy.

Add egg, cream, vanilla and almond extract all at once and thoroughly blend. The mixture will look curdleddont worry!

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Add the mixture to the wet ingredients and blend.

Roll out to a thickness of < of an inch and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake on parchment sheets for 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness and size of cutters) and cool on a rack. Makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on cutter size.

Dough does not need to be chilled before using. Hope you enjoy this recipe. I've thoroughly enjoyed it and if you want to make chocolate flavored cookies, you can replace = cup of the flour with powder cocoa. Yum!! ____

This is the best cookie icing I have ever used and it hardens nicely for bagging but is not rock hard like royal icing. You will love it. Sugar Baby Frosting from: www.wildwestcookies.com

1 32 oz. pkg. confectioners sugar, sifted
1/3 cup evaporated skimmed milk
1/3 cup white corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/3 cup water, boiling

Combine milk, syrup and vanilla in a saucepan over heat and add boiling water. Blend together with electric mixer. Add confectioners sugar and continue mixing until smooth. The frosting consistency is similar to a glaze. Color with powdered food coloring for decorating cookies.

You may purchase the powdered food coloring at cake decorating specialty stores, Walmart cake decorating department, or Hobby Lobby cake decorating department.

http://boards.epicurious.com/thread.jspa?messageID=494582񸯶

Here's a recipe for bouquet cookies I had posted in Epi:

This comes from Woman's day 4/20/1999:

PANSY COOKIES (makes 3 dozen 2-in. cookies) Prep. 30 minutes Bake: at 350: for 12-15 minutes. 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp baking powder 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature) 2/3 cup sugar 1 egg 1 Tbsp water 1 Tbsp vanilla 1 package (20-count, 6") cookie treat sticks Royal Icing (recipe follows) 1. Heat oven to 350:. Lightly grease large baking sheet. 2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper. 3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg, water and vanilla. 4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, a third at a time, stirring until well blended (dough will be stiff). Shape dough into disk; flatten. 5. Halve dough. Roll out half on lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Using pattern or 2-in. cutters, cut into shapes. For cookie pops: Working with one at a time, insert 1 cookie stick, about 1 inch deep, up from cookie bottom. Place on prepared baking sheet. Reroll scraps. Repeat with other half of dough. 6. Bake in 350: oven 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden around edges; cookies should not brown. Remove with metal spatula to wire racks to cool completely. 7. Prepare Royal Icing. Using small fine- tipped paintbrush, coat cooled cookies with thinned Royal Icing. Let stand until dry. Decorate with thicker icing, piping with pastry bag fitted with fine writing tip. Royal Icing: Beat together 3 Tbsp meringue powder or powdered egg whites, 4 cups (1- pound box) confectioners' sugar, sifted, and 6 Tbsp water in bowl until peaks form, 10 minutes (makes 3 cups). Divide icing in half. To make base coat for glaze, thin half of icing withy water, a drop at a time, until consistency of sour cream. Use thicker half for piping. Tint icing with food colors as desired. Keep icing covered when not using. Make additional icing as needed for decorating cookies.

Back