ISO: ISO: Cookie Rec for cookies with canned fried chinese noodles, chocolate AND coconut. . .

In Search Of:
REC: Chocolate Haystacks

This comes from Gail's archives. You could sub the peanuts with coconut, I suppose...

Chocolate Haystacks
posted by jane in l.a.

Where they ever got this name, who knows...

Ting-A-Lings

6 oz chocolate chips
½ c salted peanuts
3 oz can crispy chow main noodles

Melt chocolate chips then stir in peanuts & noodles. Stir WELL and drop onto waxed paper. Keep in refrigerator.

Even easier than the butterscotch ones!

oh good- thanks for posting, Ruth- it saves me the search. They are called that because

you make little haystack mounds and they look sort of like real old-fashioned haystacks used to. I remember a version of this cookie from the early 1950s.

I made RuthAB's version this Halloween and i still have crispy...

I made something very similar to RuthAB's version this Halloween (I used half butterscotch and half choc chips) and i still have crispy leftovers in a ziploc bag in my freezer.
I can't believe how well they freeze.

Speaking of Crispy's; for valentines day, we often make the rice crispy treat rec

and then shape them to look like large Hershey kisses and wrap in foil. We even add a white piece of paper (decorated in hearts, etc) to make it even look more "real"

Fun for Valentines Day!!

Rec: Chinese Chews

Chinese Chews

2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped dates
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sift flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Granulated sugar.

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13 x 9 1/2 inch pan. Beat eggs, sugar well. Add walnuts dates and vanilla. Blend in flour and baking powder, sifted together. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in centre. Cut while hot, in small oblongs and shape with hands into tiny rolls. Roll in granulated sugar.

Makes about 42.

Back