ISO: ISO Cookie Recipe....MaggieNY

In Search Of:

maggieny

Enthusiast Member
I recently had a homemade cookie at an awards ceremony. I do not know who made them as there were so many people there who could have. We all baked cookies for the event. Anyway...this cookie is shaped into a ball, it has walnuts inside and is rolled (after baking I presume) in confectioners sugar. Does this sound familiar to anyone??? I sure would appreciate the name of the cookie and even a recipe if anyone has one. Thanks so much!!! Maggie

Some are called Snow Ball Cookies.....many recipes, nearly the same....

Some people call them Nut Balls. I have several recipes. Will post some ASAP. Hope others will, also.

They are great cookies! Never tasted a recipe I didn't like! ha

YES! .................(more)

I searched in google for Russian teacakes and it looks to be the one. These were so good. All I needed was the name and I knew on could get the recipe somewhere. Thanks for your help Cathy!!
Maggie

REC: Nut Balls by Tallulah

This was a copy and paste I saved from Gail's.

We call them Nut Balls and this is the best recipe I've ever used. I've never eaten any version of this, no matter . . .
what it's called, that hasn't been delicious,
but my family's standard recipe requires that
the amount of nuts in the recipe be equal to
or greater than that of the flour. That's
what really gives this cookie its
melt-in-your-mouth quality.

We've made them with just about every species
of nut known to mankind and with mixtures of
nuts, and they've always been good.

The recipe calls for the cookies to be about
1" but when we were children we were never
patient enough to keep them that size
throughout. I can attest that they are
equally good no matter what size you make them.

Nut Balls

1 cup nuts
½ cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
Confectioners' sugar

Chop the nuts fine. Cream together the
butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the nuts and
mix well, then incorporate flour. Shape into
1" balls. Bake at 300° for 35-40 minutes. Put
confectioners' sugar in a deep bowl. Roll the
cookies in the confectioners' sugar as soon
as you remove them from the oven, and then
roll them in the sugar again when they are
completely cool. Store in an airtight container.

LOL Well this was first for me and they were so yummy. (more)

And so simple. Seems to me the simpler recipes always make the best cookies. I recall one year I made Filled Stocking cookies. The dough was colored red and green and you filled the cookie and shaped it into a stocking. They were so cute that I made a double batch. Wouldn't you know they were the hardest and driest cookies ever. A lot of work and a big waste. LOL

Maggie - the ONE cookie my girls wanted every year....

And I started baking them in about 1973! I don't have my recipe saved on the pc but I'm sure any one is good. I made 5 batches this year! Your post just reminded me that there were FOUR left in a container, which I just ate! hehe

They're better made ahead!

Going to be on my list every year now..........

and probably in between once in awhile. We have a load off cookies left over. Mostly the cut out and frosted sugar ones which are a tradition but they are the last to go. I think I will just make a half batch next year and cut them in only one or two shapes.

Hehe..yeah. Now you'll be making snow ball cookies by the quadruple batches! haha

If my girls had known there were still 4 left, they'd have eaten them days ago! smileys/smile.gif We got sick right after Christmas or I'm sure they wouldn't have been forgotten!

These and Butter Spritz cookies made with powdered sugar (they melt in your mouth) are my favorite traditions, too. I've made tons of fancy cookies every year but these two are the only ones that are requested by my family, year after year. We have simple tastes, I guess!

Have fun and WELCOME to Mimi's! smileys/smile.gif

here is my preferred version of Snowball cookies: Rec: snowball cookies . . .

These cookies need to be baked till all moisture is gone from them. To ensure tenderness, mix dough just until it is combined and make dough balls with as little handling as possible; shape balls just enough to make a ball shape.

With proper care and handling you will have a delightful little cookie that hits your mouth cool with the powdered sugar, crunches and melts with chewing, has a nice contrast of slightly salty dough and sweet powdered sugar and goes down easily due to the small size.

I really feel these benefit from the small amount of salt in the dough. And, it is really important to bake them long enough--melting doughy cookies are not good!

Of course the salted-dough ones are the ones that I tasted first as a child, so I guess there may be some fond reminiscence going on here, but try a batch of each and see which you prefer!I made a batch of these last week and ate at least half of them my self. . .And it wuz wort' it!

Snowball Cookies
(AKA Russian Teacakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes)

1 cup salted butter, cool room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/4 cups flour
1/4 gently rounded tsp salt
3/4 to 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts (I use walnuts)

Mix butter, sugar and vanilla thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or sifting. Stir flour and salt together, blend into butter mixture. Mix in nuts. Chill dough. Heat oven to 400ºF (I use 425 since I make my cookies on the smaller side). Roll dough into 1" balls (3/4" is better). Place alot of them on an ungreased cookie sheet--they do not spread. (I was able get the whole batch on one big cookie sheet). Bake 10-15 minutes untill set, but not dark brown; A light golden brown is ok. While still warm, shake cookies carefully in a bag of powdered sugar. Cool then shake in powdered sugar again.

These cookies need to be baked till all moisture is gone from them. To ensure tenderness, mis dough just until it is combined and make dough balls with as little handling as possible; shape balls just enough to make a ball shape.

Dawn, could your butter have gotten too warm? Other possibilities...

-Dough was not chilled enough?
-Dough placed on warm, not cool, cookie sheets?
-Dough was overmixed (not sure about this one)?
-Oven temp was too high?

For a while, I was turning out duds, and couldn't figure it out. I read that if you leave the butter out, and it gets too warm, it'll never be good for cookie baking, as the molecular structure changes, even if you chill the dough after you make it.

I would have that happen fairly frequently, as I leave the butter out on the counter to come to "room temperature". Of course, my "room" in Hawaii is much warmer than your "room" in NY, so maybe you wouldn't have that problem smileys/smile.gif

If none of the above, I'd chalk it up to the Christmas Cookie grinch! He visits at least one person per season - boo!

I'm sure the recipients were thankful for the homemade cookies, nonetheless smileys/smile.gif

Happy New Year!

Yes, Sandi, you hit the nail on the head...

Dough was not chilled at all! And I think the butter may have been left at room temperature all night so it would be easier to work with - duhhh...

Thanks! I'll try it next time your way.

Here is my favorite recipe for these:

The original name for the cookie as handed down by my grandmother was "Judy's Nut Balls" and for years I called them that. Then when I got more into baking and did more reading/research I realized that it's a Mexican Wedding Cookie or Russian Teacake. I just re-named it to be more recognizable to people searching for it. This recipe is extra special because of the cake flour and powdered sugar in the dough. The original recipe just called for "nuts" without specifying. My Aunt Judy used walnuts, my grandma used whatever was on hand, and I prefer pecans. I also made them with black walnuts this year and they were good...not as good as the pecan ones but fun to try something different.

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe515.mexicanweddingcookiesii.html

Dawn, this happened to me...

I have a recipe handed down through at least two generations and is always great. This year, though, they spread a little. My mom and I think it was the cake flour. I always buy a 5-pound bag of cake flour, just an ordinary brand. This year I was at my mom's and she brought home a small box of "premium" cake flour, it was very light and silky compared to the cake flour I usually use. The cookies spread, and we figure that this flour must have been super-sifted and I should have added more. I should have realized it when I needed to chill the dough longer than usual to form the cookies into balls but I didn't think much of it until the cookies came out of the oven. When I showed them to my aunt Judy (who's been making this for decades) she said "you didn't put enough flour in!"

I just want to thank CathyZ, Gayle, Dawn, Mistral, Sandi and Mimi.....(more)

for not just your helpful recipes and hints but the warm welcome to this site! I have already made a batch of these cookies just for snacking around the house and some to take to work. Melt in your mouth!!!!!
Thanks especially to Mimi for this place. (((Hugs)))

MaggieNY

Maggie....hope to always be warm and welcoming here....

We are all at various levels of skill but we do have one thing in common - we love to cook and watch others enjoy what we make!

Isn't Mimi a sweetheart for taking on the project for us? At a time where we felt abandoned, when hope was running out for anyone to even care about our feelings, THIS place was born!

A place where there are great recipes and techniques shared and bonds of friendship and love grow!

THANK YOU so much, again, FinerKitchens and Mimi! smileys/smile.gif

Mimi, I had lots of trouble with shortbread cookies spreading too much

this year---they were supposed to be cut-out stars like my Mom made every year. I was using the Martha Stewart recipe that calls for cornstarch and still no luck---they spread like crazy. I finally took the remaining dough and added an extra 3/4 cup of flour and bingo, they did not spread. I made Linzer type cookies with the jam in between and they were loved by all.

Thanks Mimi. Powdered sugar in the dough... that should help what...

I thought was a kind of bland taste to the ones I made. They were just lacking something - I'll try your recipe next time.

Back