ISO: ISO creamy Mac 'n' Cheese for freezer but limited to cheeses in house

In Search Of:

anna_x

Officially supposed to stay home now, which we are doing for our health anyway, except for taking care of grandbaby.

On hand is about a 1/2 cup of gouda, a pound of sharp cheddar, pecorino romano, velveeta (yes), and some American cheese. No Jack or mozzarella. Have some ham to chop in, too.

I hope to make some for supper and freeze half for later. Seems full-on cheddar Macs don't taste quite delicious enough or creamy enough.

Any ideas?

Just make it with the mixture and not all of the cheddar. Should be delicious.

Actually Velveeta makes great mac and cheese. If you're going to freeze I'd make a very creamy roux for the base (not an egg mac and cheese).

I agreee with the Velveeta, great addition to mac and cheese. Second the roux too. . .

I make my mac and cheese with what cheeses I have on hand, but make sure to have some Velveeta/American(wrapped) cheese slices to add because the sodium citrate (I think this is the name) in them keeps the Velveeta/american cheese VERY smooth and melty. You won't need much to keep your roux-based cheese sauce creamy, smooth and non-grainy.

If you are worried about Velveeta being too strong, just add a couple of ounces of this (2-3 oz) and use all the other cheeses in your sauce.

Good stuff!

Good info. Thanks. I never buy Velveeta, haven't ever but I am always disappointed that my M&C is

not creamy enough. I always make extra bags of the sauce for other uses, so the disappointment gets spread around.

I am going to try this.

I used to think pure cheddar was the route to perfect Mexican cheese dip. I was wrong. Use both

the velvetta and the American. Not sure what gouda would do...

Very good and creamy out of oven

Did thicken as it cooled but tasted fine.
I used about 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar, a gruyere nub, some slices of gouda, and 4 oz of velveeta. A roux, 4 cups milk, some dijon, a teeny bit of smoked paprika, a box of shells, chopped ham. Filled 2 8x8 dishes. DH went back for extra so that counts as a success.
Thanks for you advice, dear friends. Stay well!

Also, i fyou only have mild cheeses an ounce or two of good Parmesan or Romano will. . .

add that certain something to make your mac and cheese cheesier.

are they those sheets of plastic-kind-of cheese? Called cheese product. We have different nomencla

clature so we don't have anything called American cheese.

Marg, I have Kraft American Cheese individually wrapped slices. Ckd ingredients

to confirm Sodium Citrate is listed. I agree with Mistral to buy cheese slices instead of a block of Velveeta - you will just need a slice or two with your other cheeses. HTH Colleen

So, since I'm not going out & don't have any sodium citrate, I wondered if I could whip some up. I

do have citric acid, which I always add to borscht. The online sources rave about the effects of sodium citrate in a cheese sauce and the only processed cheese I ever bought was instantly thrown out almost in its entirety. I am not sure if we get that here any longer, given the wonderful array of cheese slices we can now buy.

I'm thinking it may be a month before it's safe to go out again and even then, how is anyone going to determine when this mayhem is over? So back to the kitchen.

I'm going to try this mix of baking soda and citric acid.. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and with optimism. Anyone ever done so?

Back