ISO: ISO: Does anyone have a good method to reheat cornbread?>>

In Search Of:

curious1

Made a skilletful to go with yummy red beans and rice, but we don't eat it all. I usually throw it out because I don't have good luck with reheating it. Just wondering if anyone has done it successfully.

With the recipe I use, I cut them into individual servings, wrap in foil, then heat in a

low or moderate oven. They come out nice and moist.

I agree, Meryl... I have also had success..

reheating a piece at a time in the microwave. Just make sure you don't heat to high or too long or it will get hard.

How about making a Cornbread Salad? It's YUMMY!

I'll post a recipe I use, below.

Cornbread Salad

Of course using leftover cornbread you won't be able to add the spices but many recipes call for plain cornbread, anyway. You could also add them to the dressing if you would prefer, I think. Or simply leave them out.

My husband loves this. It makes a huge bowl!

Southwest Cornbread Salad

1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pinch rubbed sage
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped green onions
10 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions.
Stir in the chilies, cumin, oregano, and sage.
Spread in a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tests done; cool.
In a small bowl, combine mayo, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside.
Crumble half of the cornbread into a 13x9 inch dish.
Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, bacon and cheese.
Repeat layers (dish will be very full).
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Would you believe I've never heard of this? It does looks good.>>

I may have gotten my distaste of leftover cornbread from my Dad, my mom made it for him practically every night when I was a kid and he wouldn't eat it leftover, except crumbled in milk. He also didn't want one grain of sugar in it, he wanted southern cornbread and Mom didn't think it was fit to eat without sugar. I love both styles.

Curious, my DH is a cornbread nut, also! I have half a pan sitting here now...

And I may just make up this salad for him with it but I'd better ask him first. He's a 'country guy' and loves his cornbread and milk, too! ha (ewwww...) He's really a great guy! NEVER complains about anything I cook!

If I make the salad, I'll add the spices to the dressing.

Curious, cornbread with honey on it.....yum

Butterd, first, of course! smileys/smile.gif Also, I love it with pickled jalapeno slices!

A friend just sent me her recipe for jalapeno relish and I think it'd be wonderful on cornbread. Can't wait to make some!

I'll post it next in case anyone is interested.

One more idea for reheating- something my Mom taught me

For breads that get dried out- and especially cornbread- I steam it until it is warm in my veggie steamer. I try to coordinate so I am steaming veggies too- asparagus, beans, carrots, whatever. I put the bread in as soon as I know the water is almost up to a boil, put in the cornbread or other bread and have it out of the steamer long before the veggies are cooked so there is no overlap of flavor.

Microwave works very nicely....

I wet a papertowel and squeeze out the extra water and lay over cornbread muffins on a plate. I nuke 10 to 30 sec until hot. Stays moist and yummy.

Back