ISO: ISO fish knowledge...I cooked some flounder that I found on sale at Kroger yesterday...

In Search Of:

debbie_in_ga

package said it came from China.

The filets were thin. I broiled them, but they were just mush. Is this typically flounder's texture? I couldn't even eat it. Reminded me of mushy catfish. Any ideas?

Debbie

That is what I have found a lot lately...

I grew up eating whole flounder and now that is about all I will buy because I haven't had the best and most consistent luck with flounder filets. The texture is a little more 'mushy' than other fish that are flaky but some of that is controlled by cooking quickly.

If I do buy filets, I lightly dredge them in seasoned flour and quickly pan fry. Then depending on the amount of fat left in the pan (Drain off some fat if needed and then hold the butter til the end and use it to 'finish' the sauce), I put a little butter, white wine, shallots, & capers in the pan to make a pan sauce and maybe a squeeze of fresh lemon. Can also use a dash of vermouth with fish - it's very nice.

Some people bread and deep fry the filets but I think it's just too thin and dries out.

One of the reasons fish gets mushy

...is the incredibly poor way the fish is handled. Sometimes it is banged around so much the flesh turns to mush.

something else: if mushy upon thawing/cooking it was probably defrosted then re-frozen. . .

when that happens it is pretty nasty indeed.

Back