ISO: Fried Pickle Dip Recipe

monj

Hello!
I am hosting my family this Sunday and a while back, my niece was lamenting that BJ's stopped selling the fried pickle dip that she loved.
Has anyone made this? Looking for a T&T, I can certainly Google recipes, but am hoping someone has a goody they can share.

Thanks!
M

Is that a dip for fried pickles or a dip made of fried pickles? Don't think I have heard of either but I am curious.

I admit I am also confused about this. I've heard of deep-fried pickles, but that's it. Tartare sauce is mostly pickles and mayonnaise, so could that be a starting point?

Found something from BJs ("Taste of the South Fried Pickle and Ranch Dip"). Here are the ingredients that don't require a PhD in chemistry:
sour cream
cream cheese
Dill pickle relish
bread crumbs
celery
less than 2% water
Ranch seasoning
lemon juice
garlic powder
onion powder
drilled dill
celery salt

Made by DiscoverFreshFoods, Easley, South Carolina.
visit: www.tasteofthesouthdips.com
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 7.14.17 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Marilyn--super helpful. I wasn't able to get the back of the label in my searches. The recipes I've seen didn't include celery, and celery salt, but I like those additions from your list.

This dip was the hit of the party. Niece said it was better than the BJ's tub. High compliment as she is very picky. Everyone loved it, except pickle hating DH 😂 Thanks a lot Marilyn!

MoNJ's Fried Pickle Dip

1 cup sour cream
8 oz cream cheese (cream cheese brick whipped via food processor using some pickle juice to loosen up)
8 oz really good whole dill pickles (sold in the refrigerator section of grocery store) chopped med-fine I used the FP for this too
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tsp Celery seed
Ranch seasoning mix ( I used Trader Joes Ranch seasoning, a few heavy shakes, sorry didn't measure, guessing 2 tbl spoons
3/4 cup (divided) panko bread crumbs, toasted, reserve 1/4 cup for topping right before serving

Mix sour cream, whipped cream cheese, celery seed and ranch seasoning
Fold in chopped pickles, celery 1/2 cup panko
Refrigerate at least 2 hours (I made it the day before)
Served with baby carrots, sliced cucumber, crackers and chips

If you love pickles, give it a try!

Without the cheese it might be good on some fishes? Or maybe a little mayo instead of all the cream.

Halibut is in season now. (for me that means a price drop) Hard to resist when it was caught just a few hours earlier. I need more than just the fish though.

Last edited:
I LOVE halibut. When we were on Vancouver Island, I had cod (ling, black) or halibut every day for 3 weeks. It was always great.

Without the cheese it might be good on some fishes? Or maybe a little mayo instead of all the cream.

Halibut is in season now. (for me that means a price drop) Hard to resist when it was caught just a few hours earlier. I need more than just the fish though.
Niece forgot to take the leftover dip home so I added some of the dip to canned tuna--quite tasty! I love halibut too, simple brown butter, capers and lemon juice. Sauteed spinach is always a nice accompaniment.

My favourite with halibut is a chimichurri sauce or grilled with basil pesto.
I LOVE halibut. When we were on Vancouver Island, I had cod (ling, black) or halibut every day for 3 weeks. It was always great.

I keep experimenting. Capers sound good too. Is there anything that brown butter does not enhance????????

Black cod....so expensive, but luxurious.

Back