ISO: ISO Gayle/MO - A hot fudge sauce story

In Search Of:

lisainla

I was browsing around for a hot fudge sauce recipe and came upon the one you posted at Gail's, the one reminiscent of Bob's Big Boy. I wanted to serve it as part of a brownie sundae bar we were making when our friends joined us for dinner on New Year's Day.

Well, it sounded perfect, and I had all of the ingredients except for one item - a real double boiler.

I've been making one whenever I needed to melt chocolate by using two saucepans nested inside each other. It has worked well for me in the past, but there was one tiny problem - I don't have one of the pans any longer, so substituted another one I thought would work just as well. (Can you see where this is going?)

I had melted the butter, and stirred in the rest of the ingredients. It looked and smelled fabulous! As I was stirring it, of course, the pan slipped down and got filled with water! I didn't have enough to make another batch, so we had to settle for some Smuckers Hot Fudge instead. smileys/frown.gif

I so wanted to try this, so to the store I went the next day to get more butter. Back again that night, different pans, melting the butter and adding the cocoa - so far, so good. Open the cabinet to get the evaporated milk - none!

I was bound and determined to have some kind of sauce, so I added a can of sweetened condensed milk to the butter and cocoa mixture, and found it didn't need any sugar at all. Sitrred it and let it simmer for about an hour - it was really good!

So - I am still going to make your recipe as written, but wanted to let you know of this new tweak, and that it was successful as well.

http://boards.epicurious.com/thread.jspa?messageID=405451񢿋

How interesting, Lisa! Can't believe you found that! It's good to know

that it can be tweaked if need be!

So glad you enjoyed it! It's been several years since I've made this and I am not sure but what I misplaced the recipe, so THANK YOU!

Gayle

Sure, here is is - REC: Gayle's Hot Fudge Sauce

Gayle's Hot Fudge Sauce

There was a thread awhile back about Hot Fudge Sauce for ice cream, etc. I have been making this one for about 25 years. It tastes like the one from the "Big Boy" restaurants, or the old fashioned ice cream shops Hot Fudge from year's gone by. I have made this and given it many times for Christmas gifts and birthday gifts. People love it. Easy, too!

1 stick of butter (no margarine)
1/2 cocoa powder (I use Hershey's but premium might be better..can't imagine it tasting any better, though)
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1/4 tsp real vanilla (optional)
15 oz can of evaporated milk (such as Carnation)

Melt butter in top of double boiler. Add cocoa, and mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Cook over simmering water in double boiler for one hour. Keep refrigerated and warm only the amount you need. While cooking time is long and slow, it is needed for a thickened, glossy sauce. Makes one quart

What is the refrigerator life of this sauce?

I'd love to give this as gifts, too, but want to make a note on each as to the expiration date. Thanks! Liz

Sorry, Liz! I just saw your post and thanks Lisa for posting recipe

I've given jars of this out many times. I don't think it's ever lasted long enough to go bad any time I've made it. People loved it, too!

I am not sure if could be home canned. I doubt it. I just gave it in a jar and said to refrigerate and try to eat in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps

Back