ISO: Iso Good Tiramisu

In Search Of:

carol-whidbey-is

I had a good recipe but lost it. It started with lady fingers on bottom, Then the cream mixture,lady fingers, cream mix, sprinckle with choc. Any help please

This is my favorite version - REC: The Best Tiramisu

This was originally posted by Laurie Drummond at Gail's:

The BEST Tiramisu

I got this recipe from David Pellarito, an Italian chef and teacher from the San Francisco area when he came to the Wok And Whisk in Baton Rouge to teach a series of Italian cooking classes. It resembles the same Tiramisu I grazed my way through Rome on. It is, simply the best!

By the way, the literal translation of Tiramisu is "pick me up" which derives from the high caffeine content (both direct and through chocolate--not to mention all the sugar. This dish orginates from the central northern Italian border.
TIRAMISU

Note: Must be prepared at least 5 hours in advance before serving.

Serves 6-8

3/4 C brewed expresso coffee, cooled
1/4-1/2 C of liquer (Chambord is EXCELLENT), preferably berry-flavored
24 (or more) savoiardi (lady finger cookies-THE HARD KIND.not the soft..very important!
4 eggs, separated
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 lb mascarpone cheese (do NOT use cream cheese!)
6 oz (or more!) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1. Combine the cooled coffee with the liqueur.

2. Arrange half the ladyfingers in a slightly rectangular, flat bottomed serving dish (with High sides). The entire bottom of the dish should be covered. (this is why you may need more than 24 ladyfingers).

3. Sprinkle/soak the ladyfingers with half the liquer/coffee mixture. (You don't want the ladyfingers to be soaked completely soft, but you want to make sure they've absorbed some for flavor).

4. Beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff. Reserve.

5. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until the mixture thickens and lightens in color (this is an important step!)

6. Add the marscarpone to the egg yolk mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine thoroughly. Make sure it is combined well.

7. Fold the reserved egg whites into this mixture.

8. Spread 1/2 the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in the serving dish.

9. Sprinkle half the the chopped chocolate on the mascarpone mixture (I'm very generous here; you can still see the mascarpone below, but the mixture is definately covered).

10. On a separate plate, soak the remaining ladyfingers with the remaining coffee/liquer mixture, then make another layer of ladyfingers on top of the chopped chocolate--repeat layering.The rest of the mascarpone, and then the rest of the chopped chocolate.

11. Cover the Tiramisu with plastic wrap and CHILL OVERNIGHT, or AT LEAST FOR 5 HOURS. Then dig in and prepare to swoon!!

I waited years to make this recipe (till all the ingredients were available...but it sounds like...

here but it sounds like the one you are looking for and it is the very best and was so worth waiting for!!

The Original Tiramisu
This from an article by James Villas in a
special section of a 1991 NYtimes magazine
section on Italian food. Title -" In search
of the original tiramisu"

Among the instruction in this fascinating
article is not to use any
substitutions.I waited, here in Israel, 3
years for the proper ingredients. It was
well worth the wait.

Tiramisu - serves 8-10

5 c. strong cold espresso coffee
32 Savoiradi (Italian ladyfingers)
10 egg yolks
10 tbs sugar
1 lb. maascrapone cheese
1-2 tbs. marsala wine
2 c. heavy cream
3 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

Pour the cold coffee into a large pie plate,
dip 16 of the ladyfingers very quickly into
the coffee & line the bottom of a 12x9x2"
oval dish with ladyfingers.
In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs & sugar
till frothy, add the mascarpone & Marsala, &
whisk till well blended & smooth. In
another bowl, whisk the cream til stiff &
fold into the mascarpone mix. til well
blended & smooth. Using a large pastry bag
pipe about 1/2 mix. over ladyfingers. Dip
the remaining ladyfingers quickly into
coffee, arrange another layer of
ladyfingers over cheese mix. & pipe
remaining mix. over ladyfingers in
attractive design. Cover w. plastic wrap &
chill at least 6 hrs. CAn be frozen up to 2
months. To serve- sprinkle cocoa powder
through fine sieve over the entire
surface. Spoon portions into dessert
plates serve w. large spoons.

My personal notes - I use any Italian brand
ladyfingers - absolutely different from
American. I also don't pipe - just put
carefully. Enjoy. Elaine Barel (Tel AViv,)

This is my favorite version - REC: The Best Tiramisu

This was originally posted by Laurie Drummond at Gail's:

The BEST Tiramisu

I got this recipe from David Pellarito, an Italian chef and teacher from the San Francisco area when he came to the Wok And Whisk in Baton Rouge to teach a series of Italian cooking classes. It resembles the same Tiramisu I grazed my way through Rome on. It is, simply the best!

By the way, the literal translation of Tiramisu is "pick me up" which derives from the high caffeine content (both direct and through chocolate--not to mention all the sugar. This dish orginates from the central northern Italian border.
TIRAMISU

Note: Must be prepared at least 5 hours in advance before serving.

Serves 6-8

3/4 C brewed expresso coffee, cooled
1/4-1/2 C of liquer (Chambord is EXCELLENT), preferably berry-flavored
24 (or more) savoiardi (lady finger cookies-THE HARD KIND.not the soft..very important!
4 eggs, separated
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 lb mascarpone cheese (do NOT use cream cheese!)
6 oz (or more!) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1. Combine the cooled coffee with the liqueur.

2. Arrange half the ladyfingers in a slightly rectangular, flat bottomed serving dish (with High sides). The entire bottom of the dish should be covered. (this is why you may need more than 24 ladyfingers).

3. Sprinkle/soak the ladyfingers with half the liquer/coffee mixture. (You don't want the ladyfingers to be soaked completely soft, but you want to make sure they've absorbed some for flavor).

4. Beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff. Reserve.

5. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until the mixture thickens and lightens in color (this is an important step!)

6. Add the marscarpone to the egg yolk mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine thoroughly. Make sure it is combined well.

7. Fold the reserved egg whites into this mixture.

8. Spread 1/2 the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in the serving dish.

9. Sprinkle half the the chopped chocolate on the mascarpone mixture (I'm very generous here; you can still see the mascarpone below, but the mixture is definately covered).

10. On a separate plate, soak the remaining ladyfingers with the remaining coffee/liquer mixture, then make another layer of ladyfingers on top of the chopped chocolate--repeat layering.The rest of the mascarpone, and then the rest of the chopped chocolate.

11. Cover the Tiramisu with plastic wrap and CHILL OVERNIGHT, or AT LEAST FOR 5 HOURS. Then dig in and prepare to swoon!!
I have been using this recipe for years and it IS the Best Tiramisu!!!!

I make my own ladyfingers using Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe, but the game changer for me was watching this video and seeing how dense her zabaglione was. I had never let mine get that thick. It changed the entire texture of the recipe.

And for the past several years, I defer to limoncello tiramisu, rather than the coffee based one. I sub limoncello for the booze and add lemon curd to the cream base, then top off with more lemon curd.
57755393677__13C01F19-08D4-494C-8A65-118AA5D2E847.JPG

Marilyn, you make your own ladyfingers? That never occurred to me for some reason!

I love tiramisu, but it does not love me back. Even before I got really caffeine sensitive, I could never eat more than a bite of tiramisu without dire caffeine consequences. Even one bite would make me pay.

The lemon version sounds tdf, and anything new to try with my abundance of Meyer lemons is excitin times!

I planted two lime trees today, always wanted one. Bought and was gifted one in the same week! (One Mexican lime and one bearss lime, aka Lime Neeson and Limony Snicket.) I was just talking with a friend today and we agreed, if you live in California, you aren’t really living if you don’t have a lemon tree.

Yes, I make my own. There are several reasons why:
  1. Packaged ladyfingers are hard to find (called savoiardi in Italian markets)
  2. Packaged ladyfingers are not cheap, considering how many packages you have to buy to make a single tiramisu
  3. Packaged ladyfingers are not very tasty to me
  4. With homemade batter, I can pipe a circle of batter which then fits perfectly into my 6", 8", 9" or 10" springform pan. In other words, I don't have to jigsaw a bunch of single ladyfingers to cover my layer.
Here's a video of Rose Levy Beranbaum (I use her Cake Bible recipe) demonstrating her method of piping. Where she is marking lines, I draw a circle on the underside of the parchment that matches my pan.

Last edited:
So do you just pipe normal 3” or so lady fingers to fit the pan, or do you just make a pan shaped spiral of them as the base?

Also, what are you subbing for the espresso syrup?

I pipe two spiral circles whose diameter matches whatever size springform pan I'm using. Also, I use an acetate ring so it's neater.

For the soaking, I make a simple syrup, add straight lemon juice and a glug of my limoncello. I think it's Maida Heater who has a lemon soak for a bundt cake that I love. It's tart yet sweet, so that's the taste I go for. I use cold simple syrup to avoid grittiness.
Also, this homemade ladyfinger version is nowhere near as dry and crusty as the store-bought. So the soaking is just for flavor...not to soften it.

Her glaze was something along this line:
LEMON GLAZE for Ginger Pepper Bundt Cake
Stir 1/3 c lemon juice and 1/2 c sugar together until dissolved.
AC62CD1D-9ED2-4DF5-BADC-DBBAA2C35235_1_105_c copy.jpeg

Last edited:
I pipe two spiral circles whose diameter matches whatever size springform pan I'm using. Also, I use an acetate ring so it's neater.

For the soaking, I make a simple syrup, add straight lemon juice and a glug of my limoncello. I think it's Maida Heater who has a lemon soak for a bundt cake that I love. It's tart yet sweet, so that's the taste I go for. I use cold simple syrup to avoid grittiness.
Also, this homemade ladyfinger version is nowhere near as dry and crusty as the store-bought. So the soaking is just for flavor...not to soften it.

Her glaze was something along this line:
LEMON GLAZE for Ginger Pepper Bundt Cake
Stir 1/3 c lemon juice and 1/2 c sugar together until dissolved.
View attachment 2384
Thanks, I can’t wait to try this!!!

I assume this is the tiramisu recipe, but couldn’t find the ladyfingers recipe. I’d love it if you have time, if not it can wait till after operation cookie wedding. No rush. 😁

I just took photos and converted to pdf for the ladyfingers from Beranbaum. These are from her first brilliant book, The Cake Bible.

The tiramisu recipe I modified from Lidia Bastianich:

But as I said, I used my own lemon curd, my own limoncello, my own rings of ladyfingers and the zabaglione method in the video above.
So Lidia gets the credit for the idea, even if I didn't follow her recipe.

Attachments

• Ladyfinger1.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Ladyfinger 2.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • Ladyfinger 3.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 4
IMG_9294.jpg

Here is the current list of cookies...I've made 15 varieties (because I'm retired and bored), my sister 2 (she's still working but still turned out 30 dozen), MOTB 7, groom's family 4 (they've never even heard of a Pittsburgh Cookie table...but jumped right in!) and a friend made several.

Last edited:
View attachment 2392

Here is the current list of cookies...I've made 15 varieties (because I'm retired and bored), my sister 2 (she's still working but still turned out 30 dozen), MOTB 7, groom's family 4 (they've never even heard of a Pittsburgh Cookie table...but jumped right in!) and a friend made several.
Omg. Is it an only Pittsburgh thing then?

The wedding decorations have a french theme, but the cookie table is a Pittsburgh tribute. Sarah made models of the following:
Roberto Clemente Bridge
Birmingham Bridge
Cathedral of Learning (Univ of Pitts)
Towers (Univ of Pitts)
PPG building
Soldiers & Sailors memorial (wedding venue)
Fort Duquesne Incline

Sarah designed hers to put cookies on them, like the PPG building:

Attachments

• PPG with dish.pdf
    310.5 KB · Views: 4
Back