ISO: ISO help with make-ahead turkey gravy

In Search Of:

anna_x

Unlike Cathy who plans ahead so beautifully, I'll be running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I will be cooking only turkey breasts on T-day so not expecting much in the way of drippings.

I did buy almost 2lbs each of turkey wings and turkey legs to see if gravy can be made ahead of time for 20 people. Advise, please, if this sounds wrong.

Roast the wings until brown and then simmer until nearly disintegrated for broth.

Roast the leg meat longer, eat the meat for supper, and put bones and skin in to simmer with wing broth.

Freeze until next Thursday.

This is what I do when I BBQ the turkey but want standard-issue gravy. It works beautifully!

The whole bird goes on the grill (indirect fire or rotisserie) and the wings and thighs get roasted a few days in advance according to the link Mo posted.

Warm the gravy and thin to desired consistency.

Michael

I always make my gravy two days ahead of time, it keeps very well in fridge

I heat it up in the pan I made it in, gently on the cooktop.. I also use browned flour (put flour in pan and use low heat, stir now and then until golden brown). Browned flour blends much better with much less lumps and gravy has a more earthy, nutty flavor. My aunt and mom taught me this over 60 years ago.

I rely on my deglazed turkey roasting pan for the majority of my liquid and browning.

I just make it in the morning as turkey is roasting by draining grease and broth as it cooks. collect the fat and make the roux. Then finish with the final deglazing of the pan.

Back