ISO: ISO Ideas for Roast Chicken....I've checked the favorites and...

In Search Of:

lin_in_seattle

I'm thinking about Sylvia's Portuguese roast chicken, and not sure what else. Large, fresh whole chickens were on sale for 49 cents a pound and I bought two. I can use the cooked chicken meat for lots and lots of things.

I'm thinking of maybe stuffing one...didn't have Thanksgiving here and missed out on stuffing, etc. Was also wondering about maybe a chinese baste or something, no, not to go with the stuffing. Was wondering about using something like a variation of Charlie's Hoisen sauce marinade. I'm open to all ideas and will be very appreciative to your suggestions.

Hi Judy, can't find the Ina Garten recipe..that link goes to: Simple Roasted Chicken

from Thomas Keller. Would love to see the Ina Garten's Indonesian Ginger Chicken Rec. if you have time.
Thanks

Yum Yum... one of our favorites! REC: Indonesian Ginger Chicken

Indonesian Ginger Chicken

1 c. honey
3/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)
1/2 c. peeled and grated fresh ginger root

2 chickens (3.5 lbs. ea.) Quartered, with
backs removed.

Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and
ginger root in a small saucepan over low
heat until honey is melted. Arrange the
chicken in a large, shallow baking pan,
skin side down, and pour the sauce on the
sauce. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.

Marinate overnight in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake
for 1.5 hours. Uncover the pan, turn the
chicken skin side up and raise the
temperature to 375. Continue baking for
30 minutes, or until the juices run clear
when you cut between the leg and the thigh
and the sauce is a rich dark brown.

Source: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Carianna's notes: I usually cook this in chicken parts - not quarters (because I'm lazy and I buy it all cut up.) Also, I usually broil it for 1 or 2 minutes right at the end to make the skin crisp up. My kids love this and call it "sticky chicken."

Thanks Judy, Carianna, and Moyn. I don't want to cut up the chicken ->

and I'll want to use the roasted meat for other meals. Hope these "cheap? chickens don't become albatrosses around my neck! smileys/smile.gif

Lin, something I do with the large roasters.....

is to poach them, then strip the meat from the carcass and use in numerous dishes.
I use a deep 8-quart pot, fill about 2/3 full with water, add an onion studded with whole cloves, a couple of carrots, cut up, some celery stalks, peppercorns, thyme sprigs, parsley sprigs, and either some powdered chicken broth or a bit od salt. Add the chicken to the pot and add enough additional water to pretty much cover the bird. Feet sticking up isn't a problem. Bring to a light boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about an hour. Then turn off heat, but leave the lid on the pot for another hour.
Then remove the bird from the liquid, place on a large platter until cool enough to debone.
Place the pot of stock back on the burner and boil to reduce by about half.
From the one bird, I've gotten enough meat to make several meals and enough broth to make a large pot of soup. Whatever I don't use that day, I freeze in meal-size portions.
Hope this helped.
BTW, I looked and I had not posted Ina's recipe, but someone else had.
I knew the link I posted wasn't the Indonesian Ginger chicken, but it was another simple, delicious recipe worthy of noting.

At the risk of being redundant may I offer the Garlic Roasted Chicken REC

Okay, okay, so this has been posted a few times in the past but to this day I still have not found a recipe I like more for roasted chicken. The result is extremely moist and flavorful chicken meat. Many a time I have roasted two chickens together, cut off the meat and used the carcasses and juices to make delicious soups. I even freeze the wonderful juices and add to gravy. The soy/wine/broth gives a fabulous flavor.

Many people in the past have used full sodium chicken broth and regular soy sauce and the recipe is way too salty when you do that. Low sodium soy sauce and low sodium chicken broth are the key here.

Cathy Z's Garlic Roasted Chicken
serves 4

Pre-heat the oven to 350º F.

5 lb. chicken (or as close as you can come)
1 carrot, peeled
1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion
large sprig rosemary
3 full heads of garlic, cloves broken off but not
peeled
1 can (15-1/2 oz) good canned LOW SODIUM chicken broth
1 cup white wine- not sweet- use Chardonnay or
Sauvignon Blanc or White Vermouth.
3/4 cup good LOW SODIUM soy sauce (Kikkoman)
ground black pepper to taste.

Wash the chicken inside and out. Take out any giblets or other parts. In the large cavity,
place the onion, carrot and rosemary. Place the bird in a medium roasting pan. Throw all the garlic cloves around the chicken. Pour the chicken broth over the chicken. Pour the wine over the chicken. Pour the soy sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake for about 1-1/2 hours, basting 3 or 4 times with the pan juice. When it is done, slice the chicken, put on plates with several of the garlic cloves (they are wonderful to pop out of the skins and eat!) and put a small ladle of pan juices over the top.

REC: CHICKEN TAJINE WITH OLIVES AND LEMON made this last night.

CHICKEN TAJINE WITH OLIVES AND LEMON

From Middle Eastern Cooking by Suzy Benghiat
This and the following 'tajine' recipe were given to me by Fatima Ma'toughi. However, I (Benghiat) have adapted them both by drastically reducing the amount of oil.

1. Pour enough oil into Ii heavy-based saucepan or flame-proof casserole to coat the bottom. Put in the whole chicken. Grate the onions, crush the garlic and slice the lemon. Add these, along with the saffron, ginger, salt and pepper. Turn the chicken over to coat it with the mixture, set over medium heat, and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, turning several times. If the mixture becomes too dry, simply add a little water.

2. Add the parsley and as many olives as you like. If you have the giblets, chop them into small pieces and add. Cook for another 45 minutes or so, turning from time to time, until the chicken is cooked through.
* The chicken can be prepared in advance to this stage, and reheated while browning in the oven. Reserve the chicken and the sauce separately.

3. Preheat the oven to medium, 375 F. Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan or oven- proof serving dish and put it in the oven to brown, about another 30 minutes.

4. Reduce the mixture remaining in the pan to a thick sauce. To serve, pour the sauce over and around the chicken and arrange the lemon slices on top.
If you have a Preserved Lemon use half of it, chopped, instead of lemon slices, but add to the chicken with the parsley (step 2). .

2 T. oil
1 medium chicken, about 3 lb. with giblets (optional)
a few strands of saffron (or a pinch of turmeric)
1 clove garlic
2 medium onions
1 lemon
2 t. ground ginger
salt and pepper, to taste
3 T. chopped parsley
1/3 to 1 2/3 cups green olives, to taste

My notes: I used 2 cloves of garlic and would use 3 next time. Might also increase the ginger. I used 1 c. olives (Spanish pitted green)
Very, very moist chicken but not necessary to cook so long.

Served with sliced sauteed zucchini, onions and carrots (a little allspice & sliced lemon) over couscous, all flavoured with the cooking broth of the chicken.

Thanks all of you for your quick and great suggestions.

I took varoius ideas and combined them. For one, I filled the cavity with some onion wedges, apple wedges, and a few cloves of garlic and then squeezed orange juice over the chicken, as well as some soya sauce and rubbed some butter on the skin. It turned out great. The skin was crisp and yummy and the meat is moist and will be great for various meals. With the other one, I got lazy and just brushed sriracha sauce over the skin. I also but the rest of the apple, orange, onion and garlic inside the cavity. That keeps the meat moist and tender. I learned that from a recipe for cornish game hens, long ago.

I have copied the recipes though and have them on my list to try. They all sound great. And I've copied several suggestions made in the thread above about what to do with left over chicken as well!

Thanks again.

Back