ISO: ISO: I'll try this here: Lemon Jelly recipe (like jam and jelly) and pectin question: . . .

In Search Of:

mistral

I have a whole lotta Meyer Lemons I would like to use and need recipe(s) for Lemon Jelly, not marmalade.

I guess a recipe for marmalade would work if it does not include the white pith of the peel; the pith makes marmalade just to bitter for my taste buds.

Also, does anyone have any equivalencies of bottled/liquid pectin to dry, packaged pectin? Like how much of one equals how much of the other?

Here's one posted by Olga on the old Gail's. Hope it helps... REC: Lemon Jelly

LEMON JELLY

1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 1/2 cups water
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 bottle liquid fruit pectin
3 to 4 drops yellow food color

Combine lemon juice, lemon rind and water in
a bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Strain and pour into large saucepan. Add
sugar to juice mixture; mix well. Bring to a
hard boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. At once, stir in the fruit
pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil
for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove
from heat. Stir in food color. Skim off foam
with metal spoon. Ladle into hot sterilized
jars. Cover immediately with 1/8-inch hot
paraffin.

Yields 5 cups.

Also, I just dug out my copy of "Blue Ribbon Preserves" and here's REC: Meyer Lemon Jelly

I read the section in the front about pectin and while she doesn't give a ratio for replacing one for the other, she does go on quite a bit that liquid is preferred. It sounds as if she wouldn't substitute powdered for the liquid. So if you can scrounge it up in your area it sounds worth it.

MEYER LEMON JELLY

"A tangy jelly with an intense flavor and a shimmering translucence, this jelly is not perfectly clear in appearance. Meyer lemons have an excellent color and flavor and are recommended for this jelly, although other lemons may be used as well. Filter the lemon juice through 1 or 2 paper coffee filters before measuring."

Makes 7 to 8 half-pint jars

4 cups filtered fresh lemon juice, preferably from Meyer lemons
7 cups sugar
2 (3-oz) pouches liquid pectin

In an 8 quart stainless steel pan, over medium heat, heat the juice until warm. Add the sugar and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Increase the heat to med-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the entire contents of both pectin pouches. Return the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.

Quickly skim off any foam and immediately ladle the hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth. Cover with hot lids and appply screw rings. Process half-pint jars in a 200 degree F water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.

Source: Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda J. Amendt

Heres another recipe

Lemon Jelly
Serve this lemon jelly on French toast or muffins.

4 – 5 large lemons
1-1/2 cups water
4-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 of a 6-ounce package (1 foil pouch) liquid fruit pectin

1. Finely shred enough lemon peel to make 1 tablespoon. Squeeze juice from lemons to make 3/4 cup. Combine peel, juice, and water; let stand 10 minutes. Strain to remove any pulp and peel; measure 2 cups juice mixture.

2. In a Dutch oven, combine the 2 cups lemon juice mixture and the sugar. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.

3. Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars; cool on a wire rack. Makes 4 half-pints.

REC: Honey Lemon Jelly >>

This recipe got great reviews on the Fine Cooking Forum.

Honey Lemon Jelly (Makes @3-4 8 oz (250 ml) jars)

From 'Well Preserved' by Mary Anne Dragan

2 cups honey 475 ml
1 cup sugar 240 ml
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained 160 ml
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest 10 ml (poster used more)
1/2 cup water 120 ml
1 3-oz (85-ml) pouch liquid pectin

Prepare the preserving jars
Combine honey, sugar, lemon juice, zest, and water. Bring to boil over med heat and stir in pectin. Continue to cook & stir until the mixture reaches a full, rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard for exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir and skim off foam if necessary.

Quickly pour the jelly into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 imch (6 cm) head space. Wipe rims. Seal according to mfg's directions. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 4 minutes.

Note at side: Use a light, delicately flavored honey for this magically sweet treat. There are two important things to note about this jelly. Honey jelly really boils up when its cooking, so take care that the pot does not boil over. It also sets up very quickly when it is removed from the heat, so do not delay in filling the jars.

Back