ISO: ISO info re crockpots / slow cookers.

In Search Of:

elenor

I'm thinking of getting a crockpot - it's one of the few gadgets I dont have but am wondering if it will just take up space along with my Foreman Grill that I use maybe once a year.

If so, what brand and size should I get, SMALL, MEDIUM OR LARGE?? There's two of us at home now but I have two married daughters with 3 children each and sometimes I cook for them (also babysit so I'm out a lot).

Would appreciate your opinions and advice. crockpots.

I use mine a lot- and suggest getting the big one

You can make smaller batches in a large on but not larger batches in a small one- LOL

When I started using my crockpot/ slow cooker (just a few years ago I got my first one!) I had to remind myself to use it at first until it became a regular part of my routine. It won't just jump out at you yelling "use me to cook in today!" but if you can get used to using it you will find it is a very handy and timesaving tool indeed.

I just bought one, and here's some info

I have a friend who uses hers all the time. She puts 2 chickens, or a pot roast, or a pork roast in at high for a couple hours, then adds vegetables- carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. and turns the heat to low. You can season with salt and pepper, or for beef she uses 1/2 package of onion soup. That night you have a nice dinner. Then cut off enough meat and put in a container with leftover veggies and some juice for dinner in a couple nights. The leftover juice is the basis for a soup down the line. You can freeze it. You get the idea.
I looked at Sears, Marshall Fields, Younkers, Bed Bath and Beyond and found that they each have a few that are the same and a few that are different. Prices varied from $20 to $60. I bought a 5 quart one with an oval shape - better for holding a chicken or oblong roast. It was a Rival Crockpot with designer crock and is on sale for $19.99 (normally $39.99).

Cooks Country did an article on this last spring...

In their charter issue they reviewed slow cookers. In a nutshell here's what they found.

Size matters. Get a slow cooker with a minimum capacity of 6 quarts.

Shape matters. Oval cookers are more versatile.

Other nice features to look for: a "keep warm" setting and a timer.

They recommended:

Farberware Millennium FSC600
Capacity: 6 quarts, $29.99
Oval

West Bend Versatility Cooker #84716
Capacity: 6 quarts, $39.99
Oval, not your usual slow cooker, a lightweight metal pot instead of ceramic that is stovetop-safe and oven-safe.

Proctor Silex #33627
Capacity: 7 quarts, $39.95
Round

Recommended with Reservations:
Rival Recipe Smart Pot #4865
Capacity: 5.5 quarts, $79.99

Rival Smart Pot #38601
Capacity: 6 quarts, $49.99

Not Recommended: Toastmaster #1320, Hamilton Beach Meal Maker #33575, West Bend Crockery Cooker #84346

Hope this helps.
Andrea

I have the Farberware Millenium, and I really like it. Definitely get an oblong

shaped one, so you can cook whole roasts, as well as anything else in it.

We are only 3 here, but I like to freeze leftovers for later.

Thanks very much for all your input about crockpots.

I'm definitely getting one either 5 or 6 quarts and oblong. Your information and suggestions really helped a lot. I'll let you know what I get.
Elenor

Rival Smart Pot

Do you know what reservations they had about this product? I have one and like it. It has a timer, low and high cooking, hold, and seems to work fine.

Their primary reservations seemed to be associated with capacity...

Hi Karen -

Chris Kimball & gang are pretty picky, but I guess that's the nature their business. Both crocks sound superior to the one I use!

The write-up for the Smart Pot #4865 (5.5 quarts)is as follows:

Features: Low and high settings; keep warm function; power light; timer; dishwasher-safe crock and lid; digital display with recipes

Comments: The "ultimate" in slow cookers is not without serious faults. Most troublesome was the small size of the crock, which could barely contain a big pot roast. On the plus side, the timer could be set at half-hour increments to one of three temperatures. Including recipes with the pot is intriguing, but the small digital screen is not easy to read.

For Rival Smart Pot #38601 (6 quarts):

Features: Low and high settings; keep warm function; power light; timer; dishwasher-safe crock and lid.

Comments: The timer was frustrating to use because it can be set only to four and six hours on high and eight or ten hours on low. The pot roast also swelled enough during cooking to pop the lid open.

It's good to know you like yours. I think it looks pretty nice.

If you do get one without a timer, there is apparently a timer available...

if you want to buy it separately. It's a Smart-Part Programmable Module by Rival that sells for $10. Cooking times are limited to four and six hours on high and eight or 10 hours on low. It automatically turns the slow cookrer to warm once the set time has elapsed (don't ask me how). It is sold at kitchenware shops, amazon, and cooking.com.

Back