ISO: ISO Joanie regarding Pandanus

In Search Of:

CathyZ

I called the State of Hawaii Ag extension folks to ask them about the different varieties of Pandanus and they say our Pandanus is like your Pandanus and you don't need to worry about it being poisonous.

oH cATHY, YOU ARE SO GREAT. i ASKED SOME OF THE (FRENCH) FOLK HERE WHAT THEY WOULD USE REGARDING PAN

sorry about the caps there...they said they import the dried leaves!!!!
I can't say that the dishes I've eaten are anything to write home about......Have to take the chance and try to cook with the local pandanus sometime.
It took awhile to use the banana leaf and flower and now I use them when I do various dishes from Thai cuisine. NO problem, of course.
The other plant I want to try but am hesitant as I've never had the "real" thing is the catus leaf...the prickly pear one...these apparently grow here but I've not yet seen them in a supermarket, never mind tasted them. The ones here I'm told are fine but no-one I know has used them....
Oh, welll...exciting things instore.
Hugs J

we have cactus here too, Joanie and I have tried cooking with it but

since I wasn't raised cooking with cactus I really never had any luck with it.

Do you have Ti plant there? You seem to have many of the other plants we have here in Hawaii- bananas, etc. I do a lot of steaming in Ti leaves and use them to wrap foods- a delicious flavor comes from them. I use banana leaves sometimes but not often. I am not fond of the sap.

When you finally cook with the Pandanus, let me know how it turns out, will you?

I sure will, it may be a long time tho....I don't know about the Ti....

plant. I'll look this up and see. As we have no rivers and irrigation has always been the problem, (they only put desalination plants in in the 80's ) agriculture didn't get off the ground, specially delicate stuff found in kitchen gardens therefor not much local cuisine. They used what the island traders brought by sea.
Prolly was easier and simpler for the folk in those days, just think that each pot they used would have to be washed and the only water available was from the rain that just didn't arrive....HuH! I would have been reluctant to get to enthusiastic cooking with that hardship!

The vast number of resturants offer cuisine from the more modern settlers, all food stuffs shipped in of course and from all over the world. We have an excellent variety, if limited in quantity and infrequent in appearance, of foods both fresh,frozen and long-shelf life.

The locals go for rather boring "provisions" (rice and peas: meaning beans or lentils:, cornmeal: set like polenta:) and lots of BBQ ribs and chicken. Johnny cakes and fried plantains. Small fish that are bony, local fish has all but dissappeared in the recent years. Heat is always there in some form of sauce, not much marinating.

I use the banana leaves from the garden quite a lot to steam in my bambo steamer. Does seem to make a delicate difference to the food.

Lol, this didn't start out to be an info-read on local. Hope it isn't too much of a bore. I have to admit I would love to have the experience of cooking in your area.
Hugs
J

Joanie I have made cactus jelly from prickly pear cactus fruits picked at mom's house, no problem

Certainly not a bore, Joanie- it is fascinating to learn about local cuisine and

how we all adapt to the "new" ingredients we find. Some just try to eat like they always have and struggle to find their chosen ingredients and others embrace the local foods and adopt them. One of the staples in local cusine there is rice and peas. Here it is rice and poi. Lots of BBQ of all kinds, lots of fish although the waters are overfished and the situation is worsening. Big fish, small fish, lots of fish. Heat is always around too- chili pepper water on almost every table, hot sauces of all kinds. Wasabi, Colman's dry mustard mixed with soy sauce into a paste, little tiny red peppers. Hot stuff. Lots of pork, beef and chicken. Mayonnaise is a staple- stirred into almost everything (macaroni salad, chili, rice), slathered on fish or chicken. Fruits of all kinds- papaya, cherimoya, lychee, mango, pommegranate, watermelon, starfruit, banana. I think it is very interesting.

Oh Yes..I never mentioned....

my carambol tree (star fruit) produced 30 fruit in this first year of fruiting. They sell the fruit at $4.60 for one, at one of the better supermarkets here???? I should start selling my fruit, don't you think? All I did was plant it, never spent time spraying, feeding, watering or anything and wham! suddenly it has produced so well.

Back