ISO: ISO Joe for sorrel chat

In Search Of:

richard-in-cincy

Joe, I considered making your Tarte au Saumon et a L’oseille. I went to Food Source in Bryn Mawr, PA (Philadelphia suburb) in search of sorrel and the grocer called his supplier and said he could order it in bulk (they only had a 1 oz. container). I asked him how much for the two bunches equaling a half pound and he replied $14.00 and there’s no profit for the store! Too bad, your tart looked good.

LOL, what a ripoff! I guess there's not much demand for sorrel >>

in the U.S. If there were, it would be as cheap as parsley. It's just a big weed!

Don't throw out the recipe just yet. Is there a farmers' market in your area? I've found it at the herb booth at ours, but I usually have to ask for it the week before. It should start to show up in spring, and then all you'll need to do is finagle another gift of smoked salmon.

Sandy, perhaps Whole Foods or a stand the Terminal Market...

would have it. 14.00 for half a pound is a little extreme. Or maybe you can ask the produce person ar Gennaurdi's if they can hook you up. Sometimes the larger chains are cheaper and a good one will be happy to help. Wegman's is great for that, although I think the closest Wegman's to you is in Downingtown.
marg

Thanks Marg. I did try Whole Foods with no luck. I didn't think to ask Genuardi's .

I probably would get it at the Reading Terminal Market in downtown Philadelphia but that's a hike for me because I live in the City Line area.

Yeah, that really is a hike. Do you know anyone who works in the city >>>

who might be able to pick it up for you?
I love going there, it's such a fun place. I went last fall with a couple of friends and there was a fish market that had the biggest shrimp that I had ever seen! They had to be 10 inches long. Since then I have been craving a return visit just to see if they still carry them, and determined that this time I would snag a couple.

No. In fact for the many years (13) that I worked in the city commuting by train from my former

home in South Jersey, I never went to the Reading Terminal Market! You might say I'm a late bloomer foodie - lol! I keep meaning to pack my cooler in the trunk and spend the whole day there. There's discount parking at the terminal. I printed the website and have it at home. If you ever go, let me know and I'll try to join you and we can have a wild foodie shopping spree!! (see link and check out the Merchant Map)

http://readingterminalmarket.org/about.php

Back