ISO: ISO Joe - Re: Cassoulet

In Search Of:

gayle-mo

Since you are the Kind of Cassoulet I wanted to ask you something. I had the TV on PBS awhile ago when I was bathing my schnauzer and there was a travelogue on. Something caught my eye and made me think of you! One segment featured Cassoulet! smileys/smile.gif The woman telling about it said when baking it, that it MUST be allowed to crust over 7 TIMES - each time removing the crust, until the last time. Is this how you do it? I know it's long and involved but I somehow missed that back on the Gail's thread.

I can't imagine going through all the work you do to make that dish then have to go though all that crusting before you can EAT it! smileys/smile.gif

Very interesting! Was going to post the link but I checked and they didn't have the recipe there.

I'm not Joe but I make Cassoulet and I never remove the crust but I do this

I do submerge the "crust" once during baking- in my mind it is overkill to do this seven times. Are you sure the recipe you saw said to remove the crust??? It is made of breadcrumbs, etc. and is just delicious. I love the crusty end result.

If I remember, Joe used Julia's excellent cassoulet recipe- it is the same one that I use.

Cathy, this was a French woman in France so maybe it's a different topping...

It didn't look like it had bread crumbs but looked wet.

It didn't sound like what I rememembered Joe's to be. Just kinda struck me as different.

Hum......

Hi Gayle, I've never heard of REMOVING the crust, but rather breaking >>

it up and submerging it, letting a new crust form several times.

I use Richard Olney's recipe, (though I've heard Julia's is wonderful too, Cathy) which calls for breaking the crust several times and basting it with the sauce or stock so the cassoulet doesn't dry out.

I should add that the bread crumb "crust" is not all that crusty, at least in my experience. It's like a rich caramelized pudding on top of the beans.

There's so much mystique about making the perfect cassoulet in France and every chef has their secret, but 7 times seams beyond the call of duty!

Hi Gayle, I have made Joe's cassoulet - mmm! - and you have to >>>

let it crust over, then SRIR the crust into the cassoulet each time. This gives it more texture. I think the 7 is the ideal number but who has the time!

Oh Heather I'm so proud! I've been giving the recipe out for years >>

and as far as I know you're the first person to try it. You've made my day.

That's what I couldn't figure out...why remove it? Just didn't seem right...

maybe the woman being interviewed didn't know English well enough to use the proper word. What would be the point of taking it off?!

Thanks for clarifying! Must have been a typo of the brain! hehe

BTW, Joe, maybe you should add the recipe to the Favorites forum.

Thanks again!

Duh, Joe- sorry- I forgot you used the Olney recipe

I would imagine if you submerge the crust a few times it would stay wet or caramelize (yum!)- since I only do it once or twice it does get fairly crusty but does not dry out the cassoulet.

Next time I make cassoulet I promise I will try Richard Olney's recipe. Wanna send over some duck fat?

And I should try Julia Child's. I just had beginner's luck >

with Olney's and never looked further.

But I don't follow it that closely. The main difference in his is that he saves the bean cooking liquid, which becomes a base for stewing the meats, and which then gets reduced to the sauce. Not a drop of flavor gets wasted. The result is so savory!

You could try that approach with any recipe.

MThanks, I posted it under "One Dish Meals." I just got out the French dictionary

and there's a verb "remouiller" that means to re-wet or re-moisten, and a noun "remoullage" which means re-milling or re-casting. I'd bet that's the source of the confusion. You learn something new every day. I just hope no one is following her instructions literally! The best part of the dish getting tossed in the trash!! Seven times!!!!!

Oh, and I'd be happy to send you some duck fat if >>

you know of a safe way to do it. (and are willing to pay for the airmail to Hawaii--definitely cheaper than d'Aragnon's $1.00-an-ounce plus shipping for duck fat.)

Seriously. I've since thrown out the styrofoam-lined box that d'Artagnon uses but I'll save it next time.

Do try Julia's recipe from Julia Child & Company just to compare

I looked at it just now and thought about typing it out but changed my mind. If you don't have access to it e mail me and I might be able to get it to you.

The main differences are that she uses small white beans (and uses the bean cooking water later), really wants you to use lamb instead of pork, she uses Kielbasa or Choriso instead of Italian sausage and she wants you to break the crust only twice during baking. I imagine the finished product is very similar to Richard Olney's.

I happen to have some frozen duck confit.....boy, now you have me thinking about making this fabulous dish.

Oh Joe, it was so nice of you to share, and it was everything you>>>

promised - took longer than I expected because I've never confit'ed before - next time I may cheat and buy it from that website you recommended. anyway, very rich and lovely. mmm, maybe on my next week off I should make it again!

Back