ISO: ISO - Just had take-out Panang Curry --- how to make at home?

In Search Of:

anna_x

The Thai restaurant seems to mix red curry sauce with coconut milk and some basil, possibly a little shredded kaffir lime leaf. They put in lots of chicken and carrots and it is so good I could drink the sauce!

Does anyone have a not-too-complicated recipe for this? I thank you, my taste buds thank you, and my tongue thanks you!

Anna, this sounds very much like....

the coconut curry recipe that you posted a while back.
I did something similar to Moyn's tweaks, with pork, but it wouldn't take much to add a bit of lime leaf to the sauce, and sub chicken for the pork.
Slice the carrots, so they will cook faster, and don't cook any longer than it takes for the chicken to be done.
BTW, thanks for that recipe! I don't have a crockpot, but it worked well in the oven. I've added it to my own files.

http://www.finerkitchens.com/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=3409

Here's one that we like, Thai Chicken Curry

THAI CHICKEN CURRY
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk,* whisked to blend
1 1/4 teaspoons Thai curry paste*
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch-wide strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise in half
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)*
1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Bring 1/4 cup coconut milk and curry paste to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, remaining coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 ingredients and simmer 1 minute. Season with salt.

*Available at Asian markets and some supermarkets nationwide.

Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit
August 2000

Flavors of the World

And a similar recipe, Thai Shrimp Curry

Easy to make, and the Thai flavors are delicious.

THAI SHRIMP CURRY
This dish bursts with flavor yet is so simple to prepare. Adjust the heat by adding the curry paste to taste.

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup chopped green onions (about 8 small)
1 to 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste*
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk*
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)*
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
Chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Heat peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; stir-fry until soft and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add green onions and curry paste; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar; bring to boil. Add tomatoes and boil 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until opaque in center, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Transfer curry to large shallow bowl. Garnish with cilantro. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.
*Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit

February 2004

KC, that Thai Shrimp Curry is one of our favorites and you can use

low-fat or lite coconut milk in the recipe with no compromise of flavor. You can buy the red curry paste in the Asian section of your grocery store; it keeps a good long time in the fridge.

Wow, what a treasure trove of good suggestions. I am at work

now but will check these out when I have more time. MMMmmm. Thanks to you all!

REC: Thai Red Chicken Curry

There are no carrots in this version, but you could substitute them for the potatoes...

Thai Red Chicken Curry
from A Flash in the Pan by Shirly Gill and Liz Trigg

1 onion, cut into thin wedges
1 T peanut oil
1 2/3 c coconut milk
2 T red curry paste
2 T Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1 T light brown sugar
8 oz tiny new potatoes
1 lb skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 T lime juice
2 T fresh mint, finely chopped
1 T fresh basil, finely chopped
2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
1-2 fresh red chilies, seeded & finely shredded
salt
ground black pepper

Heat a wok until hot, add the oil and swirl it around. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk; then bring to a boil, stirring. Stir in the curry paste, fish sauce and sugar. Add the potatoes and seasoning; simmer gently, covered, for about 20 minutes.

Add the chicken chunks and cook, covered, over low heat for another 5-10 minutes, until the chicken and potatoes are tender.

Stir in the lime juice, chopped mint and basil. Serve at once, sprinkled with the shredded kaffifr lime leaves and red chilies.

Serves 4.

Variation: Use skinless, boneless chicken thighs (cut into chunks) instead of breasts. Add earlier along with the potatoes.

Rec. Simple Nirvana Thai Curry - my dinner party secret weapon, people go crazy for it!

I am almost hesitant to post this next recipe. This Thai red curry recipe is my secret weapon in my dinner party arsenal. The sauce alone makes babies cry, grown women swoon and men dance in their underpants. I am not exagerating.

The galangal and kaffir lime leaves are authentic Thai ingredients and well worth the trouble of trying to find in east asian markets or mail order. You don’t need much and they freeze beautifully. Galangal is a knobby looking rhizome that resembles ginger with a more pungent and slightly flowery flavor. To freeze I slice it into ¼ inch coins then keep them in a small Ziploc bag. I use them straight out of the freezer and into the curry sauces. The fragrance of Kaffir lime leaves is unmistakable, you can try using the zest of a lime to replace it, but your curry may not reach nirvana.

Nirvana Thai Red Curry

1-3 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste (depends on how hot you like your curry)
1 14 ounce can of coconut milk, not like and no sugar added
1-2 lbs boneless chicken or pork cut into bite-size pieces
½ cup chicken broth
2 kaffir lime leaves thinly sliced or 1 Tbsp grated lime peel
2 ¼ inch coins of galangal or ginger
3-5 Tbsp of fish sauce (I like the Roland brand, and actively disliked _) add it to taste for salt and pungency. How much depends on the saltiness of the brand of fish sauce and your own preference
¼ cup minced cilantro plus more for garnish
¼ cup basil leaves (optional) left whole unless very large leaves, then torn in half

Vegetables – I just pick 1-2lb of whichever veg. are in season or look the best- red and green pepper, zucchini (leave slices very large so they maintain shape after cooking in the sauce), mushrooms, eggplant (I precook this first, by chopping it into bite-size pieces and roasting with some oil on a cookie sheet for a 20-30 min at 400 degrees until softened), sweet potatoes (bake first as eggplant, or nuke til softened), canned straw mushrooms and canned bamboo shoots

Open the can of coconut milk without shaking. We want to keep the cream at the top and as seperate as possible from the watery milk. Spoon cream into a large pot or wok add curry paste and sauté over medium high heat until you see the oil separate from the cream(this is obvious, you'll see).

Add in chicken, the rest of the can of coconut milk, chicken broth, lime leaves and galangal.

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let chicken cook 15 minutes stirring occasionally, then add vegetables and basil. Continue to simmer until vegetables have softened and chicken is cooked through. If I have it it's nice to stir in a handful of choppped cilantro at the end.

Add in fish sauce to taste, precooked or canned vegetables if using them, herbs and serve. Garnish with more cilantro and serve over basmati or jasmine rice.

You're absolutely right about lite coconut milk.

Haven't tried low-fat coconut milk, but I was delighted to find that lite coconut milk tastes every bit as good as regular coconut milk.
Nice to know about the red curry paste. I've kept the green curry paste in the refrig for a long time. As you know, a little goes a long way.

Thanks for the idea. I made Red Chicken curry with butternut squash,,,,

red pepper, Asian eggplant and leek along with galangal and Kaffir lime leaves from the tree in the garden and also added the Thai basil from the garden...it's so exciting when these plants start growing and can be picked for the more exotic dishes.

A Question here...I use a Thai Red Curry paste from Thailand and

find that a tsp is more than enough heat ('specially for 80 yr old Mum) It is the only Thai red paste brand I use...wonder if other pastes are milder, like foodmuse's...1 TBL would be far too hot.
Any favourites amongst all the brands out there.

I only use Roland Brand.....

I have tried other brands but didn't like the flavor. I think if you only use 1 tsp of your paste I'd bump up the flavor with maybe more fish sauce, lemongrass, galangal(if you can get it) and maybe some lime juice.

I got these ingrediants from the back of my jar of red curry paste. Oh and make sure you get Thai red curry paste. Indian curry paste and a totally different flavoring - but also yummy.

REC: Red Curry Paste

Joanie, since you are so lucky to have the fresh ingredients growing in your garden (colour me green with envy!) maybe you want to try making your own Red Curry Paste. That way you can also control the heat. Here is a recipe. (You can wrap individual portions and freeze it if you need to.)

Red Curry Paste
(Krung Gaeng Deng)
from Thai Sensations by Sherry Brydson

“Adjust the heat of this potent curry paste by adjusting the amount of chili seeds you put into it. If you remove all the seeds from the dried chilies, the curry paste will remain red but will be considerably milder than when the seeds are left in. If you want to cut down on dried chilies altogether, add some red paprika to maintain this paste’s rich red colour.

To make this paste hotter, increase the amount of black pepper as well as dried chilies. And remember, you can always strengthen the “kick” of a curry by adding fresh chilies at the beginning of the cooking process!”

1 T coriander seed
1 tsp cumin seed
½ c shallots, chopped
½ c garlic, chopped
6 stalks lemon grass, chopped
6 fresh coriander roots
1 T galangal root (kha), chopped
1 tsp wild lime peel (makrood), grated
1 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
½ tsp ground mace
½ tsp ground nutmeg
20 dried red chilies
2 T shrimp paste (kapi)
1 T fish sauce

Roast coriander and cumin seeds by stir-frying them in a dry wok over high heat about 1 minute.

In a mortar or food processor, pound together roasted coriander and cumin seeds, shallots, garlic, lemon grass, coriander roots, galangal root, wild lime peel, black pepper, mace, nutmeg, red chilies, shrimp paste and fish sauce until thoroughly blended and smooth. If necessary, add a little vegetable oil to keep the mixture moving. When ingredients are thoroughly blended, pound again about 2 minutes in a mortar to release the flavour oils.

Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. Will keep for months.

Makes about 12 tablespoons.

Oh my Goodness...lovely idea, I have all but the.....

wild lime peel easily obtainable.
I've put this on my NEED to do list asap.
thanx j

Back