ISO: ISO - Michael in Phoenix....just a thank you for your recipe for Mexican Rice! (more)

In Search Of:

jeni

Enthusiast Member
I found it on Epi a long time ago, and it's become a cherished family favorite - we make it at LEAST 3 times a month! So, thank you!!

Here's how I add to your recipe on nights when I'm feeling especially lazy (and hopefully, my "trashing up" of your recipe won't offend)...

After cooking, I add some raw chopped onion along with the cilantro, then add about 1 lb of ground beef (I cook it while waiting for the rice, and add taco seasonings). To serve, I just put the beef/rice mixture on plates, then lay out an assortment of goodies to top it with: more chiles, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, black olives, shredded lettuce, taco sauce, cubed avocado, sour cream, crushed taco chips. Just layer what you like on top, and dig in! It's sooooo easy, and yet incredibly delicious -pretty much a deconstructed taco, but it's your rice that makes it so much better than anything similar I've tried.

Anyway - I just wanted to let you know that I greatly appreciate your sharing this gem with the rest of us!!

Jeni

You're welcome Jeni. We love it too. Your variation sounds delicious. I grew up...

...eating a spanish rice recipe that came from a neighbor that was much like your recipe. It was, as I remember, a huge family pleaser!

You've got me thinking about trying that again.

Thanks,

Michael

PS: That recipe has gone through a couple of minor revisions. Lately I've been adding 2 TBSP of tomato paste to the pot when I add the broth. It gives the finished product a nice red color, and adds a bit of depth to the flavor. Try it next time!

My pleasure. REC: Arroz a la Mexicana (Mexican Rice) >>>>>

ARROZ A LA MEXICANA (MEXICAN RICE)

Mexican Rice (Arroz a la Mexicana) is from the Sunset Mexican Cookbook, circa 1989, and is one of my absolute favorite Mexican Rice recipes. IMHO, it smokes most of the obligatory stuff you get slopped on the side of your plate at restaurants!

4 Tbsp salad oil
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups long grain rice (uncooked)
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 fresh Anaheim chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped; OR 1 small (4oz.) can diced green chiles
3/4 lb. fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
4 cups regular strength chicken broth
1/4 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Heat oil and butter in a 4 to 6 quart pan over medium high heat. When butter is melted, add rice (dry) and cook, stirring, until lightly browned (3 to 5 minutes).

Add onion, garlic, and chiles; continue to cook, stirring, for 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes and broth.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer on low until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (25 to 30 min.). Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Makes 6 servings.

My notes:

I never make this recipe as written, above. I always use canned tomatoes; adding the liquid from the tomatoes to the broth.

1) Substitute 15 oz or 16 oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes for the fresh tomatoes, if you're short on time or energy and don't want to blanch and peel fresh tomatoes. Drain liquid from the canned tomatoes and use it as part of the broth liquid, using a little less chicken broth so you end up with 4 cups of liquid total. This gives more taste, and a reddish tint to the finished product.

Also, lately I’ve been adding one or two tablespoons of tomato paste. Seems to deepen the flavors and add a bit more color to the finished dish.

2) Use a heavy gauge pot for this recipe. As with all rice cookery, it tends to stick to the bottom of thin, un-lined pots. A large non-stick pan with a lid would be ideal, if you have one at your disposal.

3) When the cilantro is stirred in, the rice should be light and fluffy, not heavy and pasty. I often place rolled up dish towels under the rim of the pot I’m cooking the rice in, just to absorb some of the liquid that condenses on the lid. This seems to help with keeping the rice fluffy.

4) Great when served as a main dish or side dish.

5) If you can get Hatch chiles from New Mexico, fresh or canned, it adds a great taste difference that I enjoy. They are available fresh in Arizona, but only when they’re in season.

Enjoy!

Michael

Back