ISO: ISO Mini chocolate desserts...

In Search Of:

lizzy

I'm making cheesecakes in mini muffin tins for an upcoming shower. I'd like to make something of similar size, but chocolate (and not chocolate cheesecake). Does anyone have a recipe to share? I'd love something decadent that looks pretty as well.

Thanks,

Liz

What about chocolate dipped strawberries? I made some today for the Superbowl...

They turned out beautiful and everyone loves them. They would compliment the mini cheesecakes nicely. I will look through and see what else I can find.

REC: Double-Chocolate Banana Bread

This is from COOKING PLEASURES, the magazine
that I get because I'm a member of the
Cooking Club of America.

I make it regularly. I do it in a loaf
pan, but you can also do it as muffins.

I find that the chocolate overwhelms the
flavor of the bananas a little, but it's
still very tasty.

1 cup sugar
2 eggs (I use frozen egg substitute)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 medium bananas, VERY ripe, mashed
(black and greasy, even better)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs,
oil and vanilla at medium speed until well
mixed. In another bowl, stir together flour,
cocoa powder and baking soda. Add half of the
dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and
beat until well mixed. Beat in the bananas.
Add the rest of the dry ingredients and beat
until well mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips,
using a spatula.

As a loaf, bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until
done (my oven usually takes a little longer).

As muffins...I have no experience, but you're
a cook, right? You'll figure it out.

Pecan Pie Mini Muffins with chocolate chips

Pecan Pie Muffins

From Southern Living

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
** Add mini chocolate chips to taste **

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Stir together butter, eggs, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened. Add mini chocolate chips. Spoon batter evenly into lightly greased miniature muffin pans, filling three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 8 to 10 minutes.

Sorry, I hit the button.

You could do chocolate dipped cherries, orange slices, mini pretzels, etc. Chocolate dipped strawberries scream perfect shower food ...

You could do Ron's "John Thorne Chocolate Cake" in mini muffin pans and adjust for length of time.

Reposted from the favorites.

I've only ever made it in a bundt cake, but I am sure it can be done in a mini muffin version. We really liked the bundt version.

John Thorne's Chocolate Cake

1 box Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 small package instant chocolate pudding
1 (12-oz.) package chocolate chips
2 eggs
1-3/4 cups (give or take) (my note) sour cream

Mix all ingredients together and turn into a buttered and floured (I usually spray with Pam--my note) Bundt pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes in a preheated 350º F. oven until cake springs back when pressed lightly. (A cake tester will still emerge sticky: this is a VERY moist cake.)

Take a look at "White Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars" in the Favorites here

They've been my favorite since Marilyn posted them at Gail's.

Some ideas and a recipe :

Mini chocolate eclairs, profiteroles filled with chocolate pastry cream or chocolate ice cream, chocolate truffles...

Here's a recipe I've been wanting to try, and it uses a mini muffin tin.

DÉLICE DE DIVONNE (INDIVIDUAL CHOCOLATE CAKES WITH COGNAC GLAZE)

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
3 eggs, separated

For the icing:
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
3 Tablespoons cognac

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a mini muffin tin (approximately 1-1/2" in diameter).

1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler.

2. Let it cool slightly and then combine it in a mixing bowl with the sugar, flour, softened butter and beaten egg yolks.

3. Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.

4. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.

5. Pour the batter into the muffin tins, about 2/3's full.

6. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the cakes from the tins and allow to cool on a rack. The centers will be slightly underdone but will become firm until as they cool.

7. ICING: Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and blend in the cognac.

8. To Serve:
When the cakes are completely cool, coat them with the cognac flavored chocolate and serve.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen cakes.

From frenchfood.about.com

You could make brownies in your mini muffin pan.....

If you have the time to use the pans again, I make brownies in my mini muffin pans, and top them with Debbie in GA's chocolate blender frosting with a decorative piping tip.

I'm really not very good at piping, but if you use the tip with a serrated edge, and just pipe a swirl, it looks pretty. The frosting is fudgy and shiny, and holds a shape when you pipe it.

If you want brownies of a different shape, like Luisa suggested, you could always just bake a pan of brownies, and cut them out with a small heart shaped cookie cutters smileys/smile.gif

Here's Debbie's frosting recipe, from Favorites:

Chocolate Frosting

6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over the simmering water. Cool slightly.

Blend the evaporated milk and sugar in a blender on medium speed for 2 seconds. Add the chocolate to the sugar mixture in the blender and blend on high speed until the frosting is thick and shiny, 1 to 1 1/2minutes. The mixer's sound will change when the frosting has thickened.

Spoon the frosting into a bowl and allow it to set at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the frosting to set for 1 hour more before frosting.

*Do not refrigerate the frosting*, even if you don't plan to use it for several days. Makes 1 3/4 cups, enough to fill and frost a two-layer cake.

NOTES : This frosting can only be made in a blender.

Description: "The Best." Source: "Rosie's Bakery All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book" Copyright: "1991" Yield: "1 3/4 cups"

http://www.finerkitchens.com/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=6&msgid=24

Thank you all so much....

These are all excellent ideas. We're planning to do chocolate covered strawberries, but wanted to have something else as well. I meet with my co-host this week and I'll run your suggestions past her (both our husbands are chocoholics, so having chocolate leftovers will make them happy). I also appreciate the point about different sizes and shapes...I always attempt a lovely presentation, so that is a great tip. I've copied all the recipes to try...yum on the coconut bars and pecan pie muffins plus all the marvelous chocolate!

Liz

If I'm not too late, REC: Pistachio-Almond Tartlets.........

The tarts themselves are not chocolate but they have a wonderful chocolate frosting/decoration AND they are very tasty too!

Pistachio-Almond Tartlets
Better Homes and Gardens Cookies 1991

1/2 C butter
1 3oz package cream cheese, softened
1 C flour
1 egg
1/2 C sugar
1/2 of an 8 oz can almond paste, crumbled
1/4 C coarsely chopped pistachios
chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
24 whole pistachios

For the Crust: in a small mixer bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed till softened. Stir in flour. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till the dough is easy to handle.
Form the chilled dough into a ball. Divide into 24 equal portions; roll each into a ball. Place each ball into an ungreased 1 3/4" muffin cup. Press the dough evenly against the bottom and up the sides of the cup. Cover and set aside.

For the Filling: Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small mixer bowl combine egg, sugar, and almond paste; beat till almost smooth. Stir in the coarsely chopped nuts. Fill each dough lined muffin cup with a rounded teaspoon of the filling.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are light brown. Cool slightly in pan. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Frost.

Chocolate Frosting: In a small bowl beat 3 T shortening and 1/2 t vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 C sifted powdered sugar and 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder. Beat well. Add 2 t milk. Gradually beat in 1/2 C sifted powdered sugar and enough additional milk to make of piping consistency. Makes 2/3 C. With star tip pipe and generous amount of frosting onto each tartlet, top with a whole pistachio.

Enjoy!

Keep 'em coming...

...the shower is not for months and I have plenty of time to test recipes. I finally tried an Oreo truffle this winter...surprisingly wonderful!

Thanks for all the great suggestions...

Liz

Dia/OKC's notes for Oreo Truffles (reprinted for anyone who doesn't already have the recipe)

dia/OKC: YES for the Oreo Truffles! I made so many batches and shared the recipe so many times!! Yummy & Easy!

This is probably my own rewrite of the original, and with my notes. OREO TRUFFLES In a food processor: crush 20-oz Oreo cookies. (I wanted to use chocolate-centered ones, but they don't come in a 20-oz bag; so I used a 17-oz bag of chocolate-centered ones, plus 3 oz of white-centered ones; white-centereds *do* come three rows to a 20-oz bag, so I figured 1/2 of a row is about 3oz) Mix in 8 oz cream cheese. Process well. Form mixture into a ball and chill 1 hour until firm. Roll into truffle-sized balls. (I used my little cookie scoop to make balls, then cut each in half and rolled 'em a bit more) Melt 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate + 1 teaspoon Crisco (I do this in the microwave, about 45 seconds on High; gotta stir the chocolate to break it down after it's heated) I set the Pyrex measuring cup of melted chocolate into a saucepan of very hot water to keep the chocolate runny as I dip the truffles; I use a teaspoon to dip the truffles in and out, setting them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. For decoration, I topped half of the truffles with chocolate sprinkles. (or you could skip the dipping and just roll them in sprinkles or cocoa) Put into the fridge for an hour until chocolate coating hardens. DEEEEE-licious! Makes ~ 4 dozen.

How about tassies?

Here's a link to the dough.

Pecan Tassie Recipe

(2) 3 oz. Cream Cheese / room temp.
Picture>(2) Sticks Margarine
(2) Cups Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

Mix ingredients above, stir by hand, chill dough.

Filling:

(1) Cup Chopped Pecans (or substitute with walnuts)
(2 - 1/4 ) Cups Brown Sugar
( 3 ) Eggs / slightly beaten
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
(3) Tablespoons Melted Butter

Mix ingredients above, roll the dough into ball to fit
in bottom of tassie pan. If the dough is unusually
sticky place pan with dough in it, into refrigerator
until dough chills. Flour tassie press, press down
firmly with palm. Fill each tassie with filling. Bake
at 350 degrees, for 20 minutes.
Yield: 56 tassies